PDA

View Full Version : Different Straps for different style guitars

ZMAN
March 6th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I know this will sound like a pretty newbie question, and I am not referring to electrics compared to accoustics.
Until recently I always played sitting down. I have one of those drummers throne type of chairs that I use. I recently tried playing in a standing position and I am finding that is really frees up my fretting arm.
Since I have started this I am finding that because I have several types of guitars, including Strats, Sgs, 335s, LPs. I am finding that I need to adjust the strap a lot. I have three straps that I use, and I have a 40 year old fender strap that I use only on my SG.
I was playing last night and I switched from a 335 to an LP using the same strap and I found my fretting hand position was off. At first I just thought it was the new LP with the sticky neck then I realize my hand was in a totally different playing postion.
I was wondering if any of you guys have this issue. I don't gig and only play at home so this is a first for me.

Kodiak3D
March 6th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Well, I only have two guitars, but I have a strap for each. Any other guitars I get will also have their own strap. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks than worry about changing straps on my guitars.

You say you have a 40-year old Fender strap? That's pretty cool. :AOK:

ZMAN
March 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Yes it is one of the ones that came in the case with the Jazz Bass back in 68.
A friend of mine and I went to Whaley Royce in Toronto back then to pick up a Fender Jazz Bass and I picked up an amp. He didn't like the strap so he gave it to me. It is one of those thin black straps with the rectangular leather piece that sat on your shoulder. I have had it in my SG case all these years.

mrmudcat
March 6th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Zman interested in selling the F strap?:bravo:

I have leather and straplocks on alot of guitars.Almost every guitar has its own strap:whatever:

ZMAN
March 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM
No I won't sell it. I have had it all these years and it has always been my strap for my 68 SG.
The fellow I was talking about is still my friend and was at my house yesterday. There used to be a beige felt like pad sewn on the underside of the rectangluar piece to sort of cushion it and it has all worn off.

Spudman
March 6th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Simple solution is to get one strap for each guitar. That will help you feed your acquisition habit and you can just leave straps attached. Sometime you can get bulk deals on the 2 inch black poly with leather ends. I've found that it is a lot less hassle than trying to adjust a leather strap for each guitar.

Or you can have one for Strat length. One for Les Paul length. One for 335 length, etc and just use strap locks (another GAS trip).

See how helpful I am. I solved your strap issue and facilitated your GAS habit. That's what friends are for.:D :beer:

ZMAN
March 6th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I had thought about the Strap per style idea and I think that will be my answer. Or I can have a collection of straps. Nice idea Spudman. That is going to be a lot cheaper than the Guitar /Amp thing.

just strum
March 6th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I have two straps because I have two different types of strap locks - Schaller and Dunlop. If it wasn't for that, I would only have one. It took me almost 1.5 years to find the strap I wanted - nice and cheap.

Guitar Gal
March 6th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I had the same problem and ended up getting a strap for each one of my electrics. I found a relatively inexpensive leather strap at MF that works for me:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Perris-Leather-Musicians-Friend-Logo-Strap?sku=364703

It does have a gold MF logo on it that some may find tacky.....but it doesn't matter to me. I'm sure some finger nail polish remover could take care of the logo if someone wanted to remove it.

:rockon:

GG

ZMAN
March 6th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I have two of the Logo Straps one Fender and one Gibson and I like them. so I will probably stick with them. I will need a couple more to go one per style of guitar.

Plank_Spanker
March 7th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I have a strap for each guitar.

Jampy
March 7th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Took me forever to find a strap I liked, I use the same strap for all my electrics. Now I need to find one I like for my acoustics.