PDA

View Full Version : <sigh> How can some people work like that?

KrisH
March 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM
The past month or so I've been looking for a band to join, and went for an audition about three weeks ago. Things went really well -- everyone was excited, liked what they heard, and we agreed to share a song list and some song clips. Next practice got cancelled because a guitarist got an infection from a tooth extraction, but they sent me some mp3s and I learned them. Next week, another member's client meeting conflicted with the practice. I started getting worried whether this thing was going to go through, and voiced my concerns. Got a reassurance that yes, it was a go, as soon as things calmed down, and they'd send me some more mp3s. Oh, and could I send them a bio to post on the band website? I did.

The promised clips didn't arrive, so last week I called the "leader" and asked right out where things stood. He told me everything was on a hiatus -- that he'd been busy at work, the drummer hurt his rotator cuff, and the singer was still healing from neck surgery. I said okay and keep me in the loop, but basically took it as saying the project was unlikely to happen.

So tonight I surfed to their website an found it updated, with a complete lineup -- including a new bassist that wasn't me. I can't say that I'm really surprised; the end result for me is what I expected (no project). And I suspected what may have been happening -- I've been in enough bands to know that devious **** flows every which way. Still, it is disappointing that someone will lie to your face, with a lie that can't possibly remain silent, and think that's good business. Kinda makes me wonder what the REAL story was behind their last bassist moving on. Well, knowing now how these people operate, I don't need THAT kind of grief in my life. But it was a waste of my time and energy.

As much as I enjoyed the practice we had (after oh-so-many years), it's crap like this that reminds me of why I got out of the business back then. Still, I'm hoping that with age comes maturity; I'm hoping that there's some group out there that needs a bassist who just wants to play a few gigs a month with no drama. In the meantime, I'll keep working on my solo recording projects.

Keep smiling! :D

mrmudcat
March 6th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Their loss!! They dont deserve someone of your immense talent and beautiful soul.:master:

Now cover your eyes Kris and take no offense.:beer:
Seriously some men/guys/boys?? need to grow a freaking set of ballz!!:thwap:

Ok you can uncover them now!:rotflmao: ;)

Maybe they thought you would EL KABONG them with your bass if you didnt get the gig;) Did you bring your upright/stand up?:dude:

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1489/43410272jh5.png

player
March 6th, 2008, 11:19 PM
almost sounds like the band was a bust before it ever had a gig.these type bands you don't need.one glorious day a decent working band.will eventually discover you then you will both be glad.talent deserves other talent

oldguy
March 6th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I played in a band every weekend for years with an old fart who had very simple rules. (Otherwise he walked...... he was very talented also, btw....)
We use the KISS method.
There are no stars here.......just pickers.
We're playing for fun....if it leads to lots of money, even better.
If your head starts swelling, I'll stick a pin in it.
When you get better than me, and know it all, see the rules above...and 'bye.

Lunaray
March 7th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I'm sure that you will find the band that is right for you Kris, or they will find you. Mudcat's right, it's their loss! Good luck.

Robert
March 7th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Some people are jerks, and the good thing is you found this out relatively early in this case, before you got too involved with them and wasted even more time.

moon
March 7th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Honesty is best - I've been witness to some pretty bizarre behavior when it comes to hiring/firing band members. The one that really cracks me up is "well, I guess the band all quit, so you're on your own to do what you want". Nice! For the last several years I've had the luxury of playing in a band where honesty, brutal honesty if need be, dominates. Warm and fuzzy is far less important than truth.

strumsalot
March 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM
It's their loss Kris. Don't get discouraged, I'm sure you'll find a good fit sooner or later.:AOK:

Katastrophe
March 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Ahhhh... Who needs 'em? That's a crappy and cowardly way to operate. Karma has a way of dealing with individuals like that. If that's how they deal with other band members, then their business dealings will be shady as well, and you don't want to be associated with that.

You've got the right attitude about this, and I hope you find a group of mature, like minded individuals to play with. Until that time, I hope your solo stuff goes well!:D

KrisH
March 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Ah, well, I'm not upset over the end result, but disappointed that folks who've aged in the business for several decades would still deal like 20 year olds (no offense to present members meant).

It's not the worst I've seen. I was once in a fairly popular local band where the guitarist left, so we recruited another to take his place. He wouldn't come without his wife, who played drums. Our drummer was one of the founders (with me), and he was also our lead singer. So he thought it might be fun to front the band, and we agreed to bring both on board. It went well for maybe a year and a half and, although the band prospered, there was an internal struggle between factions, centered around the new members/married duo. Sound familiar, anyone?

Everyone finally decided to split it up and go back the way we were, and then the husband-wife team asked us what we were going to call ourselves -- they presented a document showing their registration of the name with the state! Yup, they took our name, the reputation and the gigs. We adopted a similar name, and got served a cease-and-desist order. Did I hear someone mention Karma? At the end of the year when 1099 forms went out from the lounges for the year's worth of gigs, THEY got them, and had no social security numbers from now-hostile bandmembers to show subsequent disbursements. (Just in case some IRSagents are interested, I did declare the earnings, documented by my own schedule book and ledger.) I have no idea how much of that they had to eat. Not my problem. We went on and established a new band with a completely different name that did well for a couple more years, and the old band went under within 6 months.

As a further interesting note, this couple also pulled the same stunt with a famous oldies group (buying the trademarked name) and marketing themselves as the original. Lawsuits followed, and some of the original members were granted the right to perform under their name within 16 counties in the state, and the "bogus" band was given free rein over the rest of the country. The whole debacle was the subject of testimony on "bogus" bands before a Judiciary sub-commitee several years ago ("We can't even perform under our own name if we get inducted into the Hall of Fame"). The couple ultimately tired of the road and bought a bar, which folded, and now they work in a factory. I don't know if they still own the trademark, but that band is still touring, with one of the original members now involved. The biggest irony? The drummer/singer I worked with all those years ago is now fronting this "trademark" band that claims at least 8 Billboard top 40 hits over the years. :AOK:

As you get older, you get to see Karma in action . . .

Bloozcat
March 7th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Better to have found out early, than to have invested a lot of time and effort only to have it fail.

If we were all to make a list "bad band experiences", I'll bet this one would be on a lot of lists.

Plank_Spanker
March 7th, 2008, 01:11 PM
KrisH,

I'd say good riddance to the "rock stars". I've seen this so many times - big egos and all the back stabbing that goes with them.

It's tough to find a bunch of like-minded musicians to herd into a band, but it's not impossible. Hang in there, man. Why not start your own band? Your rules.......................................

It might take some time to assemble the talent, but it would certainly be worth it.

Just a thought..................

tot_Ou_tard
March 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Planky, I would assume that it would help to own a PA-system if one wants to start a band.

KrisH
March 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Planky, I would assume that it would help to own a PA-system if one wants to start a band.
LOL!!! Back in the day, one sure way to get into a band and stay in, regardless of ability, was to own the PA. Like one guy early on who bought a really sweet (for the day) roll-padded Kustom PA cheap on the black market in 'Nam. Didn't matter he'd gotten his medal by being SHOT IN HIS LEFT HAND! Seems every band had a mediocre musician who owned the PA.

Plank_Spanker
March 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
While owning a PA is definitely a plus, it's not a show stopper. Get the right talent together and they'll figure out a way to make a PA happen. You can assemble an effective PA relatively cheaply these days.

t_ross33
March 8th, 2008, 09:13 AM
While owning a PA is definitely a plus, it's not a show stopper. Get the right talent together and they'll figure out a way to make a PA happen. You can assemble an effective PA relatively cheaply these days.

That's what we did. Our keyboard player (who WE brought into the fold BTW) had oodles of PA, and to be fair he is a very talented musician and soundman. But his quest for perfection led to 2 and 4 hour setup/soundchecks and 2 and 3 hour packups! Yeah, not a lot of fun to still be loading out at 5 or 6 o'clock in the AM. Despite our pleas for more efficiency (we all have day jobs, family committments etc.) he insisted on taking his time to "do it right".

So three of us who originally got together, bought our own little PA, picked another name and went our own way. This was to be a sideline project, but since no one was booking the original group it faded into the sunset. The "side project" continues.

You can get tons of new and used PA gear for relatively little dough. I remember the days of spending 10s of thousands on gear. You still can, but today you can purchase a pretty good little PA for a couple Gs if you shop around.

Trev