PDA

View Full Version : New String Experiment

LowEndWonder
March 7th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Iv'e been thinking about trying a really light guage string set on my Fender Marcus Miller V. The guages are, 35-55-75-95-125. in ProSteels.
Does anyone have any experience witha string guage this light in either D'Addario or Rotosound. The set I ordered with the separate B is below....
http://www.daddario.com/Resources/JDCDAD/Images/Products/EPS180.gif

moon
March 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I've never used anything that light, but I'm sure they would play nice, but lack output. It's the old trade-off. My money is on that you're style of playing is more finesse than root-quarter, so it would likely be worth exchanging playability for some output. That's what they make master volumes and EQ's for, right?

LowEndWonder
March 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I slapped those babies on today only having to do minor intonation adjustments.
The bass has two graphite support rods so the neck shouldn't move.
The ProSteels gave this bass a total different attitude. The light guage practically plays itself! I could turn up my amp now and/or kick in the active electronic switch and I hardly have to touch the strings to get sound out. It is now much cleaner and crisper with more definition and an overall jazzier tone. I prefer this style of playing without digging in to be heard, but there is just enough there if I have to dig in some.
I like them! :rockon:

moon
March 10th, 2008, 05:59 AM
That's pretty much the same thing Jeff Berlin said about playing light gauge strings in an interview in Bassplayer Mag a few months ago, during the Bx3 tour. It's good stuff finding the right blend of ingredients!

LowEndWonder
March 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Ahh, Yes, Yes!