PDA

View Full Version : Video Lesson 3-7-08 - Minor Blues Chord Progressions

mark wein
March 7th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'm filling out my "Blues" stuff with more chord progressions this week...here are 3 versions of a 12 bar minor blues....I think next week I will probably do a lesson on combining Major and Minor Pentatonic scales when soloing over a blues...

http://blog.markwein.com/2008/03/06/minor-blues--3-variations-on-the-chord-progression.aspx

Have fun!

You can find the rest of my lessons at http://www.markweinguitarlessons.com (http://www.markweinguitarlessons.com/)

street music
March 7th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Mark,
Thanks again . Now I just have to practice more and more. I sure need this help.:rockon:

mark wein
March 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
No problem!

Jipes
March 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I'm filling out my "Blues" stuff with more chord progressions this week...here are 3 versions of a 12 bar minor blues....I think next week I will probably do a lesson on combining Major and Minor Pentatonic scales when soloing over a blues...

http://blog.markwein.com/2008/03/06/minor-blues--3-variations-on-the-chord-progression.aspx

Have fun!

You can find the rest of my lessons at http://www.markweinguitarlessons.com (http://www.markweinguitarlessons.com/)

Nice lesson you're pretty close to "Thrill is gone" right ;)

Jipes

mark wein
March 8th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Nice lesson you're pretty close to "Thrill is gone" right ;)

Jipes

Thanks!

Thats the nice thing about copyright law...a chord progression does not constitute a copyright...so we have a "B.B. King style minor chord progression" :D

Jipes
March 9th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Thanks!

Thats the nice thing about copyright law...a chord progression does not constitute a copyright...so we have a "B.B. King style minor chord progression" :D

That was not was I was suggesting ;) but now that you mentionned it, would you have to pay some rights just because you would do a video lesson on Thrill is Gone ? I did quite some videos as well, for non profit use and never thought that some layers would eventually sue me :confused:

Is that possible ?

Jipes

mark wein
March 9th, 2008, 08:38 AM
That was not was I was suggesting ;) but now that you mentionned it, would you have to pay some rights just because you would do a video lesson on Thrill is Gone ? I did quite some videos as well, for non profit use and never thought that some layers would eventually sue me :confused:

Is that possible ?

Jipes

If I did do a lesson on how to the a specific song like "The Thrill is Gone" for example, legally I should pay for a license to use the song. Most people don't, and on the vastness of the internet the chances of you getting hassled are probably pretty small unless the owner of the song decides they want to make a big deal about it.

I read about a guy who had a youtube channel full of Shawn Lane videos (I think he had gotten many of them from Shawns family after he had passed away). On this guys channel there was one Steve vai video...when Vai wanted to make his own youtube channel his lawyers had youtube shut down whatever channels they could find with his stuff on it....this guy with the Shawn Lane videos had his account deleted because of one Vai video that he had.

Since I use youtube to host the videos for my instructional site I really can't afford something like that happening, so I make a point of not doing any specific songs. I have a few lessons where I use songs from my own album because I actually own those.....

Jipes
March 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
OK MArk thanks for taking the time to explain me, I was aware of copyright problems because we had to delete a video of our band playing a Ry Cooder song on the demand of Warner representant but I didn't know that it was also possible for guitar lessons as well :confused:

Jipes

mark wein
March 9th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I just try to be careful with that stuff...I probably should move the videos of us playing blues songs to another youtube account...so they just had you delete the songs and not your channel?

Jipes
March 9th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I just try to be careful with that stuff...I probably should move the videos of us playing blues songs to another youtube account...so they just had you delete the songs and not your channel?
I don't know with most of the Blues men there's no problem but apprently the people of Warner Records are particularly careful :thwap:

Maybe your idea is not bad ;)

street music
March 9th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Mark, I justed wanted to say that , THANK YOU! I'm using your lessons to try and progress my finger skillson the neck. It's hard for me to get some of this stuff but maybe with enough time I'll play something similar to yours someday.

sunvalleylaw
March 9th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Nice Mark! I like the explanation of some theory along the way, with the numbered chords, etc. It helps out a lot! Thank you very much!

mark wein
March 11th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I don't know with most of the Blues men there's no problem but apprently the people of Warner Records are particularly careful :thwap:

Maybe your idea is not bad ;)

I'm just trying to stay in business...I've already had one "cease and desist" moment this year...:thwap:

Mark, I justed wanted to say that , THANK YOU! I'm using your lessons to try and progress my finger skillson the neck. It's hard for me to get some of this stuff but maybe with enough time I'll play something similar to yours someday.

No problem! Its all a matter of time and effort....

Nice Mark! I like the explanation of some theory along the way, with the numbered chords, etc. It helps out a lot! Thank you very much!

Thanks to you as well! I'm trying to keep it understandable but complete. :)

aeolian
March 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Mark, I just checked out this lesson and it is very well done. I did not even catch the subtlety of switching the V chord between a minor and a major until I really followed the tab part of your lesson.

By the way, in variation 2 you played a flat-VI chord, that is what is shown in the tab and your video, but in the text part of variation 2 you have a typo that shows this chord as a flat-IV. Just thought you may want to know.

mark wein
March 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Hi Mark, I just checked out this lesson and it is very well done. I did not even catch the subtlety of switching the V chord between a minor and a major until I really followed the tab part of your lesson.

By the way, in variation 2 you played a flat-VI chord, that is what is shown in the tab and your video, but in the text part of variation 2 you have a typo that shows this chord as a flat-IV. Just thought you may want to know.

oops....thanks for catching that...I just fixed it....:thwap:

Thanks for the kind words on the lesson, too!