PDA

View Full Version : iMovie vs Final Cut Express

Robert
March 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Calling all Mac lovers! What are the main differences between iMovie and Final Cut Express? http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

Just wondering if I should get Final Cut Express for my guitar video projects, or if iMovie is sufficient.

warren0728
March 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
i have messed with imovie a little....would probably work just fine for your lessons....have not used final cut express....

ww

SuperSwede
March 8th, 2008, 03:02 AM
iMovie works just as good when working with small scale productions such as a instruction video.

Adrian30
March 8th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I use iMovie for short films made of still images. I agree with Warren and SS, the iMovie might be just sufficient for guitar videos. I never used Final Cut Express, though.

sunvalleylaw
March 8th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I have used iMovie, along with iDVD, with good success for my kids' ski program vids for end of year shows. Should work fine for the guitar vids.

marnold
March 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Just to add nothing to the conversation: Apple adding "i" to the beginning of everything makes me want to iVomit.

Robert
March 8th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I have to say I don't like iMovie that much. It's weird to edit and trim videos with accuracy. I am used to working with a more timeline.

I checked out FCE, and it looks way better. I'll probably get it later on.

Jipes
March 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Calling all Mac lovers! What are the main differences between iMovie and Final Cut Express? http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

Just wondering if I should get Final Cut Express for my guitar video projects, or if iMovie is sufficient.

One thing which is not possible in iMovie and which is probably available in Final cut Express is the screen split, meaning you can include another video frame into the main screen ! you have also possibilty of working in synchronisation with two videos and use the audio from one onto the other

Probably very useful for showing the right hand as well during n exercice demonstration ! I use iMovie since 3 years but I'm still with the old version cannot really make it with the new imovie from ilife 08

jipes

player
March 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM
just got off the phone with my bro in law(an avid Mac user) that is also into making vids. below are his statements.leaving out the flowery content.

it's second along the way.

There's a LOT FCE can do that iMovie can't (chroma keying, color correction, proper slow-mo, layering, etc.) but compared with the technologies of old, iMovie 6 is a powerful tool that's not to be laughed at for its ease of use.

there's a difference between editing and adding effects to video, He said. final cut pro is the best tool if you need to do both.for what it's worth Robert