PDA

View Full Version : New Jagmaster and corporate self-esteem

Ro3b
March 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM
So I walked into Guitar Center last night to buy strings, and I walked out with a new Jagmaster. I'm a weak, weak consumer.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/27047d2be49ebc85.jpg

As I was taking the tags off and removing the film from the pickguard, I noticed this odd little sticker on the heel plate:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/27047d2be4a40df2.jpg

Here's a closer look:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/27047d2be4a6e079.jpg

It's a trash can with an X through it. I can only interpret it to mean "Don't throw this guitar away." Hell of a thing to find on my nice shiny new axe. What am I supposed to think here? Do I really need a sticker telling me not to throw my guitar in the trash? It seems hardly necessary; I mean, everybody knows how great Squiers have gotten.

But it's not just Squier. It's Fender in general. I did some poking around on Elderly's site. Here's the same sticker on a Baja Tele (http://elderly.com/images/fmic/30N/FCPBT-VBLD_heel.jpg) and an American Series Deluxe Strat (http://elderly.com/images/fmic/30N/FADSS-3SB-MPL_heel.jpg). Kinda makes you wonder how much Fender stands behind their products, hm?

Since I'm planning on gigging with this guitar, I'm thinking I'd better leave the sticker on. Or else goodness knows what might happen.

"Where the hell is my guitar?"

"What?"

"Dude, my guitar. I left it right there on that stand when we finished our last set."

"Oh, yeah. The nice-looking one with the tortoiseshell pickguard? I threw it in the dumpster out back."

"You WHAT?"

"I threw it in the dumpster. What was I supposed to do? There wasn't a sticker on it."

Rocket
March 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM
That's a EU WEEE symbol... it means that the product should be recycled and not disposed of as general waste.

Kodiak3D
March 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Nice axe! I really like the pickguard. Beautiful. How's she sound, Rob?

Not sure about that sticker. Never noticed it before.

lol, StreetMusic better get stickers put on HIS guitars. I know my mother (his wife). One bad day for her, and she's liable to chuck them out the door.

mrmudcat
March 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
That's a EU WEEE symbol... it means that the product should be recycled and not disposed of as general waste.

Hey you get whats behind door number 3:rockon: :D :beer:

Brian Krashpad
March 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM

Yeah, I notice we get new guitars often with a "CE" sticker on them too, which is some other EU dealie.

At at rate, congrats on your purchase OP, it looks great!

Ro3b
March 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Nice axe! I really like the pickguard. Beautiful. How's she sound, Rob?

She sounds great! Makes me go "EU WEEE!" :rotflmao: In over thirty years of playing, I've never owned a two-humbucker guitar before, so this is taking a little getting used to. But I like it very much. Big fat ballsy tones.

Rocket
March 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
(snip)
The letters "CE" are the abbreviation of French phrase "Conformité Européene" which literally means "European Conformity". The term initially used was "EC Mark" and it was officially replaced by "CE Marking" in the Directive 93/68/EEC in 1993. "CE Marking" is now used in all EU official documents.

CE Marking on a product is a manufacturer's declaration that the product complies with the essential requirements of the relevant European health, safety and environmental protection legislation, in practice by many of the so-called Product Directives.*
*Product Directives contains the "essential requirements" and/or "performance levels" and "Harmonized Standards" to which the products must conform. Harmonized Standards are the technical specifications (European Standards or Harmonization Documents) which are established by several European standards agencies (CEN, CENELEC, etc).
CEN stands for European Committee for Standardization.
CENELEC stands for European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization.
CE Marking on a product indicates to governmental officials that the product may be legally placed on the market in their country.
CE Marking on a product ensures the free movement of the product within the EFTA & European Union (EU) single market (total 28 countries), and
CE Marking on a product permits the withdrawal of the non-conforming products by customs and enforcement/vigilance authorities.
(snip)

mrmudcat
March 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
So thats what is on my american tele deluxe:confused: Why the hec couldnt you play in in europe:whatever:

coachj
March 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM
You guys got it all wrong. That is a warning not to throw away the sticker!!! :}

Ro3b
March 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Oh, damn. Too late. I wonder what will happen now.

tremoloman
March 19th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Is that the 24" scale or the older 25.5" one? Jagmasters are awesome... I'm almost done building my Jazz/Tele/Strat hybrid with the 25.5" scale... LOVE the guitar! It's been a yearin the making but I'm finally finishing it in the next month or so. (Needed to have a custom pickguard made and the guy doing it has taken FOREVER.)

tot_Ou_tard
March 19th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Is that the 24" scale or the older 25.5" one? Jagmasters are awesome... I'm almost done building my Jazz/Tele/Strat hybrid with the 25.5" scale... LOVE the guitar! It's been a yearin the making but I'm finally finishing it in the next month or so. (Needed to have a custom pickguard made and the guy doing it has taken FOREVER.)
It's good to see you posting again Tremolo!

That guitar sounds great: pics?

Ro3b
March 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah, trem, I'm looking forward to seeing your finished axe. Mine's the new "Standard Series" model with the 24" scale. I still haven't quite got it set up to my liking yet, but it's getting there. One thing I've discovered is that at this scale length, setting the bridge to float isn't really practical with .010 strings. Everything's too floppy and the guitar goes out of tune if you look at it sideways. For now I've got the bridge flat against the body and it works fine, but I'm going to try a set of .011s and see if they're more stable. I really prefer a floating trem. Otherwise, I love this scale length; in fact, the whole guitar is just outrageously comfortable.

tremoloman
May 16th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah, trem, I'm looking forward to seeing your finished axe. Mine's the new "Standard Series" model with the 24" scale. I still haven't quite got it set up to my liking yet, but it's getting there. One thing I've discovered is that at this scale length, setting the bridge to float isn't really practical with .010 strings. Everything's too floppy and the guitar goes out of tune if you look at it sideways. For now I've got the bridge flat against the body and it works fine, but I'm going to try a set of .011s and see if they're more stable. I really prefer a floating trem. Otherwise, I love this scale length; in fact, the whole guitar is just outrageously comfortable.

Yup... I used to have a Fender Cyclone II... suffered from the same problem. That was a beautiful guitar but it just wouldn't stay in tune no matter how hard I tried.

I have small hands and stubby fingers so I figured 24" would fit me better. I learned quickly that I only feel comfortable with a 25.5" setup.

I'm wiring my beast together this weekend so I hope to have some pix and perhaps sound clips soon. Tough to find time but I must!

Ro3b
May 23rd, 2008, 05:23 AM
Well, it's been nearly three months now, and I finally decided the stock pickups had to go. They sounded great at high gain levels, but the cleaner tones just weren't doing it for me. So I wired in a set of GFS Fat PAFs last night.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w320/Ro4b/Jag005.jpg

I'm a lot happier now. All the low-end crunch is still there, but with better definition. The bass strings don't sound fogbound anymore. It's like my amp was covered in a blanket up till now. I can still take this guitar out and burn a few villages, but now it's appropriate for more polite social occasions. And doesn't it look nice?

Katastrophe
May 23rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
That's a classy looking guitfiddle ya got there, Ro3b. Also glad to hear another good report about the GFS pickups.

Ro3b
May 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks! And yeah, every product I've gotten from Guitar Fetish has been outstanding. It's a great shop. I'm think I might try one of their tremolos in this guitar next.