PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning question

strumsalot
March 8th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Any suggestions on what to use to clean these 100+ year old tuners??? I don't want to ruin them. Thanks.

http://mycherishedmoments.com/Washburn/1897 Style 037sm.jpg

street music
March 8th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Maybe jewelry cleaner ??? That would be a suggestion or some silver cleaner.

mrmudcat
March 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM
NOOOOOOOO DONT DO IT!!!!

100 year old mojo

just strum
March 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM
NOOOOOOOO DONT DO IT!!!!

100 year old mojo

+1 It takes away from the value. Nothing like a piece of history that has aged and shows its beauty.

warren0728
March 8th, 2008, 06:36 PM
NOOOOOOOO DONT DO IT!!!!

100 year old mojo
i agree...unless they are not working properly i wouldn't touch them :nono:

ww

strumsalot
March 8th, 2008, 07:02 PM
No, I don't want them like a new penny. I just want to get the gunk out of the gears without removing the patina. Sorry, I wasn't clear.:thwap:

mrmudcat
March 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
PHEWWWWWWWWW!!:master:
Hey brother check out http://stewmac.com/ At home if you got 3&1 oil or wd 40 with that lil red tube and a few light shots in the gear:D
Also any kind of machine oil would work.:AOK:

just strum
March 8th, 2008, 07:31 PM
PHEWWWWWWWWW!!:master:
Hey brother check out http://stewmac.com/ At home if you got 3&1 oil or wd 40 or hell any with that lil red tube and a few light shots in the gear:D
Also any kind of machine oil would work.:AOK:

geez, the next thing you know he will want to paint a Strat:D

mrmudcat
March 8th, 2008, 07:35 PM
:rotflmao: ^^^^^

Also vaseline in the gear itself works great wipe off excess or better yet use sparingly.Graphite lubricants/liquid graphite for nuts(nut sauce etc etc ) would also work in my opinion.:D I buy a few lappys from time to time and truthfully wd40 and a toothbrush and or some vaseline on after(lubricant) is all iv'e used.

mrmudcat
March 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Also for practicality purposes stewmac has good repros cheap that fit most without adding additional screw holes(out of the question in my opinion). You might want to put on a set for playing out and tuck the old set with those delicate crumbly buttons and sticky gears away.If at home playing yea id clean them and enjoy them for my own self enjoyment.:dude:

strumsalot
March 8th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. :master:

street music
March 9th, 2008, 05:19 AM
sorry Strum, I thought you wanted to remove the tarnish look. Shows what I know.

just strum
March 9th, 2008, 06:32 AM
sorry Strum, I thought you wanted to remove the tarnish look. Shows what I know.

Every time I see someone direct a comment at "Strum" I think they are talking to me. Maybe the wife is right, I could be a little self centered:D

LowEndWonder
March 9th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Break Free

strumsalot
March 9th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Every time I see someone direct a comment at "Strum" I think they are talking to me. Maybe the wife is right, I could be a little self centered:D:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Sorry Lord Vader, but can't you control what your wife thinks, you know with that force thingy.:D

L8xMP2L3HA8

Seriously, I for one don't think your self-centered. It isn't all about you...it's all about your guits.

Cal
March 12th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Love that video Chad. :rotflmao:

Sorry Strummy. :whatever: