PDA

View Full Version : Which Les Paul???

Ger the man
March 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hi folks,
Been a while since Ive been here,I hope your all well! Ive decided to take the plunge and buy myself a Les Paul. The only two things in the way are all the recent reports of bad build quality and also which model to get? Im a loyal Fender man but would like a genuine LP in my collection but do not want to splash out on something where the quality can be hit and miss. I want a faultless quality instrument that will hold its value and maybe finance the cost of my funeral!! (only joking)

Any opinions?

Cheers from Ireland!

street music
March 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
The last three trips I made to Nashville , I visited the Gibson factory store and was not impressed with the quality I found on the recent Epi LPs. I saw what appeared to be a much lesser quality in anything that was less than say $700.00. If it was more than that why not just buy a Gibson, because there wasn't a lot of difference in what I had my hands on.

warren0728
March 8th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Any opinions?
if you want a true les paul....get a used gibson....play a bunch of them and pick the one that "speaks" to you! :greenguitar:

ww

mrmudcat
March 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
if you want a true les paul....get a used gibson....play a bunch of them and pick the one that "speaks" to you! :greenguitar:

ww

+ 1

hubberjub
March 9th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I must agree that used is the best way to go. Gibsons hold their value better than some brands. If you do go new stay away from the specialty or niche model Les Pauls (Gothic, Mayhem or whatever) as they will be more likely to depreciate quickly. Gibson quality is hit or miss so play as many as you can to get a sense for how a good one should feel. You'll know when you've found a good one.

Plank_Spanker
March 9th, 2008, 06:28 AM
At the risk of insulting some folks here, I don't buy into the widely parroted Gibson QC story - and that story isn't "recent". I don't see Gibson turning out clunkers at a higher number than any other mass produced brand. Gibson, it seems, is held to an impossibly high quality standard compared to other brands. Sure, they turn out clunkers, just as any other mass producer does.

The best way to avoid that is to play before you buy. Look the guitar over very well and be sure you're happy with it before you hand over the money...............................just like you should with every guitar, regardless of brand.

I own three flawless Gibsons that put a smile on my face every time I play them.

All of that said, there are a bunch of Les Paul models to choose from, with widely different feel, sound, and looks. Your best bet is to get out and play as many as you can. You'll know the right one when you play it. Tune out the internet noise and be your own judge.

Good luck on your quest. :D

Ger the man
March 9th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Thank you!

ZMAN
March 9th, 2008, 09:46 AM
From your description of what you want, I think you will also have to look at a few more things before you buy. There are several types of neck profile on the gibsons. If you are a Strat player you probably have a 9.5 Radius on the neck. Most Gibsons and Epiphones are 12". Also you have the slim taper 60s, and the 50s and the fat 50s neck on Les Pauls. Some of the Clones like Agile have a 13.5 Radius.
Also the type of tone you want. There are varying types of pickups on the Gibsons from Ceramics in the classics with open coils that are really hot,more for hard rock and metal, then the Alnicos in the Studios, then the 57s and Burstbuckers in the Standards. More suited to Classic rock and blues. Oh yea I forgot the faded series of studios have Burstbuckers in them.
I have owned 3 Epi Les Pauls and I now own A brand new Gibson Studio in fireburst. If you look at my pictures you will see how pretty she is.
I don't buy that quality issue either. Mine was flawless and sounds amazing.
I also own the finest Epi Les Paul ever made. The Elitist Les Paul custom in wine Red. I paid 799 for it at MF when they were discontinuing the color. All I can say is this is afine instrument that I will have forever.
I have an ES335, and an original 68 SG. So I wanted a Gibson Les Paul. I really wanted a Standard but when I saw the Fireburst I fell in love. It is one of the Chambered bodies and it is very light and toneful. I paid 1099 brand new for it up here in Canada. I would not hesitate to buy a Gibson, you will never lose money on it. I had a pro set mine up and it plays and sound fabulous.
Have fun looking and do your homework.

mrmudcat
March 9th, 2008, 09:55 AM
At the risk of insulting some folks here, I don't buy into the widely parroted Gibson QC story - and that story isn't "recent". I don't see Gibson turning out clunkers at a higher number than any other mass produced brand. Gibson, it seems, is held to an impossibly high quality standard compared to other brands. Sure, they turn out clunkers, just as any other mass producer does.

The best way to avoid that is to play before you buy. Look the guitar over very well and be sure you're happy with it before you hand over the money...............................just like you should with every guitar, regardless of brand.

I own three flawless Gibsons that put a smile on my face every time I play them.

All of that said, there are a bunch of Les Paul models to choose from, with widely different feel, sound, and looks. Your best bet is to get out and play as many as you can. You'll know the right one when you play it. Tune out the internet noise and be your own judge.

Good luck on your quest. :D
Plank I agree,I just dont dig the chambered bodies these days.I know they have been doing "weight relieve" holes for awhile the chambering is a hunk of wood:thwap: Other than my mid 80's explorers and 90 something sg I bought one of those L.P. specials. I put a rsguitarworks kit in and dressed the fret ends (rough) and it is a player!!!!

Disclaimer: I guess I am just a solid mahog kinda of guy:rockon: The above is just my opinion:AOK:

I am after a darkburst flame top but trying to find the right one under $3000 has been hard:confused:

warren0728
March 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I bought one of those L.P. specials. I put a rsguitarworks kit in
i've got a 98 lp special...which rs kit did you put in yours....i am thinking of putting one in mine.... :greenguitar:

ww

mrmudcat
March 9th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hey warren ill pm you so the thread stays on topic;)

Plank_Spanker
March 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Plank I agree,I just dont dig the chambered bodies these days.I know they have been doing "weight relieve" holes for awhile the chambering is a hunk of wood:thwap: Other than my mid 80's explorers and 90 something sg I bought one of those L.P. specials. I put a rsguitarworks kit in and dressed the fret ends (rough) and it is a player!!!!

Disclaimer: I guess I am just a solid mahog kinda of guy:rockon: The above is just my opinion:AOK:

I am after a darkburst flame top but trying to find the right one under $3000 has been hard:confused:

It's all good, man. :D LP's aren't for everyone, and there's nothing wrong with not caring for them. What raises my hackles are the parrots that don't own, have never played, nor intend to own a Gibson jumping on the tired old saw of "Gibson QC". There's also a good bit of corksniffer cachet attached to the brand, and that just fuels the fire. Some Gibson owners have a tendency to look down their noses at all other brands, declaring their particular guitar the be all and end all of guitars.

Even though I have my preferences, I'll never bag on any other brand of guitar and I'll never look down my nose at other player's guitars. If a guitar sets your hair on fire and inspires you to play your butt off, who cares who makes it? :D

******OFF RANT******

Mark
March 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Im real happy with my Historic R8 no chambering great tone, plaintop.

mrmudcat
March 9th, 2008, 11:20 AM
+1 on those historics If I could find the right one with a wide ribbon maple flame under $3000:thwap:

just strum
March 9th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Probably the only thing negative I can say about Gibson is they tend to be overpriced. On the upside, most hold their value and if you get a good deal on a used one, you are usually sitting on an investment.

The other thing regarding overpriced, they just may be out of my price range. If that is the case so is Gretsch, Rickenbacker, and the list could go on. I've played Gibson's and I've always like the ones that I played and never ran across the rumored "bad quality" guitar.

Plank_Spanker
March 9th, 2008, 11:33 AM
No doubt that Gibsons are in the "expensive" category. This is where a good deal of Gibson bashing starts.

It's all about what you want in a guitar, and what you're willing to pay to get it.

mrmudcat
March 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Yea I think I could be happy with a VOS 58,59,60 standard in faded tobacco.It could come close until I find that right vintage one:master: ;)

Plank_Spanker
March 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM
A friend of mine owns a '58 - all original that he bought new in '58.

I play it every time I visit his house, and I do my level best not to drool on it. :D

mrmudcat
March 9th, 2008, 02:38 PM
:master: :master: :drool: :drool:

Ger the man
March 9th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Folks - thanks for all the info and replies, still have more homework to do!

just strum
March 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Folks - thanks for all the info and replies, still have more homework to do!

It never ends, keep us informed as you progress in your search?

hubberjub
March 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Plank, I agree that the QC issue is sometimes pushed too hard. I own two Gibsons and have played countless others. You are right about all mass produced guitars having issues. I'm not saying that Gibsons have more than others. My main qualm with Gibsons is their paint. Especially the black finish (one of the toughest colors to spray well). Other than that the traditional tuners that they use are not great. Those plastic buttons strip out and need to be either replaced or epoxied every year or so. I also don't like the 400 series pickups that they were using. Gibson does make a good (and iconic) guitar. I feel that most Les Pauls are about $500 more than they should be. I did not mean to offend. This is coming from a Gibson owner and user. As with any guitar purchase, quality is going to vary from instrument to instrument. You are always better off playing as many as you can get your hands on to find which one works best for you.

Ger the man
March 19th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Hi all,
Well I have decided not to go for it in the end, I think Im gonna stick with uncle Leo for the time being. After some serious thought Ive decided that they are just too expensive (especially here in Ireland).

ZMAN
March 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
You say that now but the lovely lady will beckon you again. You will hear someone playing one and it will start all over.
I would try one of the new Studios, or mahogany faded series. They are all Gibson without the binding. Real bang for the buck.

Brian Krashpad
March 19th, 2008, 09:09 AM
You say that now but the lovely lady will beckon you again. You will hear someone playing one and it will start all over.
I would try one of the new Studios, or mahogany faded series. They are all Gibson without the binding. Real bang for the buck.

Yeah, I have a Studio Doublecut I found used w/hsc for $525 USD several years ago, and a Classic w/ohsc I practically stole for $750. Never know when a good deal on a used one will pop up.

Though I realise it's a different sitch in Ireland, the UK, and Europe.

Jamais ne dit jamais!

Ger the man
March 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM

True, but I already have a beautiful lady:

http://elderly.com/fmic/items/FADTS-ACB-MPL.htm

Gonna get me a nice fender tube amp istead.