PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Roll Hall of F(sh)ame

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Well, Spud let me know this morning that Madonna is getting into the hall this year, while Yes still does not. What is up with that!!

At least the Ventures, two members of which are from my home town of Tacoma, are getting in.

Justaguyin_nc
March 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I believe Yes will make it there someday..

But really... Look at what Madonna has Done in the charts to date:

http://www.world4madonna.com/charts/

I must say, she is a deserving artist...

:beer:

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I'm not necessarily saying she shouldn't be there. :beer: :pancake: Her work, (and her producers, sound people, etc.) did certainly make a mark. I was just saying not in lieu of Yes. It gets into what is being judged. Commercial success seems just a bit more heavily weighted than I would prefer, I guess.

I am also glad the Ventures got there!

Bloozcat
March 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Is it The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or The Top 40 Teeny Bopper Pop Hall of Fame?

Oh, wait. I already know the answer to this. What we have here is a media driven, all we care about is who we can market, American Idol, invent a band, co-opting of rock and roll. Since pop music sucks so badly, they try to cloak themselves with the rock and roll label in a desperate bid for legitimacy. It's a pop culture joke.

Madonna is talented, I'll certainly give her that. She's also a master at marketing herself, that's obvious. But, she's a top 40 teeny bopper pop artist, not a rock and roller.

Sheesh....:thwap:

Kodiak3D
March 10th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Well, one way to look at it is that it's the Hall of FAME. While Yes was certainly a great band (no argument there), they weren't incredibly famous. Certainly not on the scale that Madonna was.

Of course, there are plenty of people in the Hall that are less well-known than Yes.

I read an article on MSN once by some idiot who was actually trying to argue that Black Sabbath and Aerosmith (among other greats) didn't deserve to be in the Hall.

Justaguyin_nc
March 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Justa for sake of argument...
What is Rock and Roll

I would say Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry

So how does YES figure in with a hit like Owner of a lonely heart?

WackyT
March 10th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Musical Sellout Hall Of Fame

R_of_G
March 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Steve, I think one of the things being accounted for is influence on other artists. Love or hate Madonna, there is no doubt she did and does continue to influence other artists with her work. Now, I also believe YES belongs in the Hall, but I think there is more to the voting than just sales. Maybe not though, things are so commercialized it's getting hard to tell.

Spudman
March 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
So how does YES figure in with a hit like Owner of a lonely heart?

I would say that in the musical community (people that make music) they have been hugely influential. That's how I'd figure.

Kodiak3D
March 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Well, Yes had 4 gold albums, 4 platinum albums, one double platinum, and one triple plat. That should help their resume.

Then again, the only song of theirs I can name is "Owner of a Lonely Heart." (I'm sad to say.) I'm sure they have other hits, and I've probably heard them, I just don't know what they are.

WackyT
March 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Roundabout is my favorite.

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM
The other most famous one is Roundabout, which seemingly played constantly at my high school cafeteria at lunchtimes in 78-79 or so. Here it is.

Xql99I1VSdI&feature=related

Radioboy950
March 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Is it The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or The Top 40 Teeny Bopper Pop Hall of Fame?

Oh, wait. I already know the answer to this. What we have here is a media driven, all we care about is who we can market, American Idol, invent a band, co-opting of rock and roll. Since pop music sucks so badly, they try to cloak themselves with the rock and roll label in a desperate bid for legitimacy. It's a pop culture joke.

Madonna is talented, I'll certainly give her that. She's also a master at marketing herself, that's obvious. But, she's a top 40 teeny bopper pop artist, not a rock and roller.

Sheesh....:thwap:

Thank you!!!:beer:

Spudman
March 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
This was a biggie for Yes as well.
I've Seen All Good People

bvPyT-YGUIg

Justaguyin_nc
March 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM
it's actually kinda strange trying to throw out ratings.. when in fact..

For the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, here's what it is: an era. The rock era, to be exact -- a term commonly used to signify the past six decades of popular music, a period that began in July 1955 when Bill Haley's "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Would we even have rock and roll if it didn't enter the charts?

just strum
March 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Steve (SVL), if you ever come to Cleveland, I will take you to the RRHoF and you will see some things of interest and make you wipe this Madonna thing from your mind.

There are some great things there and the Hendrix display with large screen video will make you take a seat and spend a lot of time at just that one exhibit.:rockon:

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks Strum, that would be a great trip! But don't get me wrong. I am not losing huge amounts of sleep about Madonna getting in. I was in college in the 80s and you could not help but dance to some Madonna music back then. It is just that bands like YES shouldn't get left out in the cold given their contribution and continuing work.

But what about the Go-Gos? They were the first all woman band to write their own songs and play their own instruments to top the Billboard charts according to Wiki. ;)

just strum
March 10th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I didn't think you were losing any sleep, at least not because of Madonna. There are the ones that got in that you have to question and the others that have not and you have to question even more.

To me there are two criterias that they look at 1) sales or 2) influence in the music industry. I feel the influence part should be based on how much their music did to inspire the musicians that followed them. If that were the case, there would be a lot more blues artist in the HoF.

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Well, I would enjoy coming over and visiting it with you if I am in the 'hood. Thanks!

warren0728
March 10th, 2008, 08:05 PM
ok.....i'm watching the hall of fame awards....and whether or not you think madonna should be inducted why the f did they let justin timberlake induct her....i'm still watching his inductee speech and what an embarrassment....his off color jokes and such just come across stupid from someone who certainly has been there and done that yet....and probably never will...

ok....i feel better now.....sorta....

ww

warren0728
March 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM
ok....he just finished and i think it was the stupidest speech i've heard to induct someone into any hall of fame....just sayin' :puke:

ww

marnold
March 10th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Yeah but Iggy Pop sang a Madonna tune so that made up for it.

WRT Yes: I heard "Roundabout" on the radio this morning and almost went into cardiac arrest. I haven't heard that song in time, times, and half a time.

warren0728
March 10th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah but Iggy Pop sang a Madonna tune so that made up for it.
barely....

ww

pes_laul
March 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Correct me if I'm but KISS isn't in the hall of fame are they? I remember when I was there they weren't.