PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day for the Blues

r_a_smith3530
April 3rd, 2006, 11:41 PM
Thursday, Chicago bass great Willie Kent, 70, a man who had backed up such legendary blues artists as Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, and Muddy Waters succombed to the cancer he had been fighting for months.

Originally from Mississippi, Kent came to Chicago in 1952 at the age of 16. Over the years, he played and recorded with a virtual who's who of the blues world. In the last couple of decades, as front man for his own band, Willie Kent and the Gents, he recorded over ten albums. He was a regular on the Chicago club scene, hosting blues open mike jams at several clubs over the years. I consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to play alongside him at a couple of these sessions. He always seemed to be full of encouragement for those around him.

http://www.williekentblues.com/

He will be missed.

warren0728
April 4th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Thursday, Chicago bass great Willie Kent, 70, a man who had backed up such legendary blues artists as Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, and Muddy Waters succombed to the cancer he had been fighting for months.
He will be missed.
rip willie....i had not heard of willie, too bad i have to learn about him because of his death :(

Wow....must have been a helluva bass player...
W.C. Handy Awards: Best Blues Instrumentalist, Bass
(ten times: 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005)

Critics’ Choice: Most Outstanding Blues Musician, Bass from Living Blues magazine (1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001)

gonna check out some of his music today.

ww

Nelskie
April 4th, 2006, 06:02 AM
r_a_ - Perhaps you'd like to suggest some "essential" listening for those Fretters who may be interested in hearing some of Mr. Kent's music. I know you've listed several prominent bluesmen that he played for, but there must be some albums / releases / songs that stand out to you as exemplary efforts.

warren0728
April 4th, 2006, 06:31 AM
r_a_ - Perhaps you'd like to suggest some "essential" listening for those Fretters who may be interested in hearing some of Mr. Kent's music. I know you've listed several prominent bluesmen that he played for, but there must be some albums / releases / songs that stand out to you as exemplary efforts.
great idea nelskie....where should we start ra?

ww

r_a_smith3530
April 4th, 2006, 09:48 AM
OK, here's some tracks that stick out for me.

1. "Meet Me With Your Black Drawers On" and "Wee Baby Blues" with Bonnie Lee from the album, "Red Hot Mamas" (Blue Chicago BC5001)

2. "All Night Long" and "I Wonder Why" with the Gents from the compilation album, Clark Street Ramblers (Blue Chicago BC5002)

BTW, with these two compilation albums, you will get a good view of what was happening on the Chicago blues scene, circa 1990's. So many great players! Eddy Clearwater (& his side guitarist Will Crosby), another great bass player, Aron Burton, Eddie Shaw, Liz Mandeville Greeson and much more. Great music brought to you by one of the city's premiere blues clubs.

3. Willie and the Gents sponsored many jam sessions over the years at Chicago's blues clubs, and one, featuring lap steel player Freddie Roulette, was recorded. Although Freddie isn't one of my all time blues favorites, I like "Laundry Mat Blues" from this album. (Hi Horse Records 4044)

4. Another compilation album showcasing Willie's talent is Delmark's 40th Anniversary album. While the Chess brothers and upstart studio Alligator were getting all the glory, Delmark was pumping out solid blues hits, and Willie's "Memory of You" from this album is just such. (Delmark DX-2)

5. I would highly recommend the album he did with "Lil' Ed" Williams (of Lil' Ed and the Imperials fame) titled "Who's Been Talking." You talk about your Chicago blues greats, this album is an all-star release. You've got Allen Batts on keys, Lil' Ed and Eddie C. Campbell on guitars, of course Willie on bass, and "Baldhead Pete" Williams on the skins. BTW, you really have to see Lil' Ed live to fully appreciate him. The man is an entertainer first class! He's also the nephew of the legendary JB Hutto. (Earwig CD-4941)

6. I've saved the best for last. My favorite Willie Kent album is "Too Hurt to Cry" from 1994. The title track is great, but one of my favorites is "Good Man Feeling Bad." Boy, that one sums up the blues for me. (Delmark DE-667)

Willie's bass playing was always in the pocket, and when he stepped up to the microphone, people listened. The albums above should provide you with many an evening of great blues listening!