PDA

View Full Version : I love my Mac but iMovie 08 sucks

Robert
March 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Really. It sucks. I have to say it. After looking around the web for a bit, it's apparent that a lot of people are upset about iMovie 08.

The main problem is there is no way to easily edit your clips. I have to say I liked Windows Movie Maker better, because it had a normal timeline where you can trim beginning/end and split clips exactly where you want.

Sorry, Apple, but this time you screwed up.

Review:
qQgstgOZV4Q

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Yep, film editing is lacking. I wanted to cut out more of the stuff in the clip I just posted on the Garageband thread. It was easier in the older version. Hopefully it gets fixed soon. I like the general easy organization, but I can't figure out easy edits. The youtube uploader features work well, but they need to fix the editing.

Good thing Garageband doesn't suffer from the same issues.

sunvalleylaw
March 10th, 2008, 09:55 PM
MOVED FROM GARAGEBAND THREAD:

Ok, I just did this in iMovie with some clips one of my Freeride team kids emailed to me after downloading from his Flip camera. I am the one filming in these clips. The kids are jumping, plus my Mr. Spock in the program who appears in red, white and blue. I started at about 5 to 9p, and I started uploading it to youtube at 9:30p. I have never uploaded to youtube before, and this is a down and dirty test. We will have a year end film, but a lot of clean up will happen to these clips before we do. It was done as a test of iMovie08 as I had not used it yet, but have used prior versions.

I think it does well enough for small projects, and for my own end of year stuff I have put together for the kids, and should work just fine for small instructional clips. Our true promo film is done by a professional shooter though, who uses final cut or final cut pro or something, but def. on the mac side. Anyhow, here it is. We had good snow this year!!

UkNJzt8eaOw

Don't focus too much on the shakiness of the flip camera low pixel vid. I did it to show the transitions that I put in and how I could throw one together in short order on iMovie. Also, check out Drew in the orange coat coming off that rock. Check how long he is hanging up there!!!! I don't go that big myself. Just coach them to. ;)

EDIT: I do wish editing in the middle of clips was easier. I would have cut a lot of my shaky camera holding out. This is my first time on this version tonight, and maybe there is a way, but it is not easy like I am used to my Apple stuff being. Hopefully they will fix that part soon.

Robert
March 10th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Apple is not a company full of idiots. This can't be a mistake. The only reason I can see for this mess of a program is so that you will be forced to buy Final Cut, if you need any kind of control of edits. Disappointing! :mad:

Gil Janus
March 10th, 2008, 11:47 PM
If you have iMovie '08 installed you can download for free the previous version - iMovieHD '06 - follow the link.

iMovie 6 HD Download Page (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html)

It is a the previous version that came with iLife '06. Hope this helps - both versions can be installed at the same time.

Gil :cool:

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Robert.. My wife use iMovie more than me but I am pretty sure that you can switch between clips and timeline view??

stingx
March 11th, 2008, 05:49 AM
One of the decisions on holding off on the MAC purchase, aside from power and price, was that I did research into iMovie and iPhoto and read comments by MAC users. I found that many were not happy with both and that they wish Picassa, for instance, was ported to the MAC. I love the ease and speed of Picassa for my photos and I am hooked on Adobe Premiere. Hope you get this sorted Robert. You could always give Premiere Elements a go on the cheap if you like. It works very well on the MAC.

Robert
March 11th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Well, SS, there is no timeline to speak of.
I'm getting Final Cut Express.

Jampy
March 11th, 2008, 09:11 AM
This has been a issue since iLife 08 came out, go back to iMovie HD or move up to FC Express. It has puzzled many people as to what Apple was thinking on this issue, when so much of iLife 08 saw great improvements.

Jipes
March 11th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Apple is not a company full of idiots. This can't be a mistake. The only reason I can see for this mess of a program is so that you will be forced to buy Final Cut, if you need any kind of control of edits. Disappointing! :mad:

Aa Gil says, download the iMovie from iLife 06 I'm still using it and it's great I have also hard time to do anything with the iMovie 08. Apprently they wanted to make it easier but i guess they miss the point there. That's the firs time (I work on Mac's since 15 years) that I have such a hard time with one of their software :thwap:

Jipes

Jipes
March 11th, 2008, 09:37 AM
One of the decisions on holding off on the MAC purchase, aside from power and price, was that I did research into iMovie and iPhoto and read comments by MAC users. I found that many were not happy with both and that they wish Picassa, for instance, was ported to the MAC. I love the ease and speed of Picassa for my photos and I am hooked on Adobe Premiere. Hope you get this sorted Robert. You could always give Premiere Elements a go on the cheap if you like. It works very well on the MAC.
It was partially true for iPhoto but since the new versions many bugs have been corrected and the manipulation of photo collection is much easier including just using alias of photos collection in another location than the iPhoto folder.

As for iMovie (the HD version) I did more than 45 videos and sometimes montage and editing with two cameras and it works fine ;)

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2008, 09:44 AM

iPhoto is super easy for me and does great. I have no reason to go bigger with Photoshop or the like at this point. It is only the recent update to iMovie that seems to be off track. They seem to acknowledge it by allowing 08 users to download the 06 version of iMovie. I hope they just fix it with an update soon.

Robert
March 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I must say they are acknowledging something is "rotten in the state of Denmark", when they offer a downgrade to the '06 version!

That's the only drawback I have found with anything Apple. Everything else I've seen from them is really good. My MacBook Pro is like an Angel's touch.

Jampy
March 11th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Hey can't be any worse then the Vista downgrade to XP ?? :poke:

Robert
March 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Oh no, it's not anywhere that bad! :D

stingx
March 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM
My MacBook Pro is like an Angel's touch.

Robert have you been touched by an angel? :confused:

SuperSwede
March 12th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Robert have you been touched by an angel? :confused:

We actually dont talk about that, the official story involves aliens and a probe that dared to go where no one else have gone before.

Robert
March 12th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Yah, dat stuff is Top Secret!

Justaguyin_nc
March 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM
We actually dont talk about that, the official story involves aliens and a probe that dared to go where no one else have gone before.

So what your saying is...
If ya buy a MAC after reading the hype... :poke:
you get Probed?

Flame suits on!
:rotflmao:

Robert
March 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Justa, only if you don't like the Mac! :D

marnold
March 12th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Here's a good one for you Mac lusters from today's comics:
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080312

SuperSwede
March 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
So what your saying is...
If ya buy a MAC after reading the hype... :poke:
you get Probed?

Yessir.. the iProbe has many useful functions.