PDA

View Full Version : RCA tube is in

Radioboy950
March 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Hey guys, just a quick follow-up to some of our earlier tube talk, NOS vs. new prod.

I ordered an RCA 12AX7-A from Vacuum Tube Valley, and at $55, this is the best price I have found for this NOS tube.

Popped this little bugger into V1, and I found it to be perfectly balanced in tone…rich & warm, with the right amount of low end, and not overly bright. Gain is nice, not fizzy.

Next up, I scored a couple GE JAN 12AX7-WA. Can’t wait to try those too.

Bloozcat
March 11th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Expensive little buggers, aren't they?

I've got a six of the GE JAN 12AX7WA's that I picked up before the great price rise. Paid $12.95 ea. for them. They're great tubes. Not as warm as the RCA, but they have a sweet top end. I like them in Fender amps, especially as a substitute for 7025 tubes, which are getting rare and very expensive.

Now that you have the RCA, you ought to try picking up a few new production tubes to compare to it, like the Tung Sol reissue and the Mullard reissue. The EH is an other one along with the Penta 12AX7 which is a select Shuguang 9th generation tube. Or you could just try one marketed as a Chinese 9th generation tube. It's good to put away a supply of NOS if you can afford them, but we'll all have to find substitutes for them soon enough. Trying new production tubes now while you have the NOS to compare them to, will make finding a close substitute easier. Trying to recall what a tube sounded like from memory is a lot harder than hearing them side by side.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...You ought to pick up a few JAN GE 5751's while they're still at or below $20.00 ea, if you haven't gotten some already. They're great in overly hot pre-amp stages where you might want a little less gain.

Radioboy950
March 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Expensive little buggers, aren't they?

I've got a six of the GE JAN 12AX7WA's that I picked up before the great price rise. Paid $12.95 ea. for them. They're great tubes. Not as warm as the RCA, but they have a sweet top end. I like them in Fender amps, especially as a substitute for 7025 tubes, which are getting rare and very expensive.

Now that you have the RCA, you ought to try picking up a few new production tubes to compare to it, like the Tung Sol reissue and the Mullard reissue. The EH is an other one along with the Penta 12AX7 which is a select Shuguang 9th generation tube. Or you could just try one marketed as a Chinese 9th generation tube. It's good to put away a supply of NOS if you can afford them, but we'll all have to find substitutes for them soon enough. Trying new production tubes now while you have the NOS to compare them to, will make finding a close substitute easier. Trying to recall what a tube sounded like from memory is a lot harder than hearing them side by side.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...You ought to pick up a few JAN GE 5751's while they're still at or below $20.00 ea, if you haven't gotten some already. They're great in overly hot pre-amp stages where you might want a little less gain.

Great ideas.

Have not tried the new Mullard yet, but I really love the Tung Sol.

Ah...the Penta. I like that one too, but I have to be careful cause it tends to get a little "rattle" after being beaten up by by 50W combo.

I've got some EH's--seem rugged, bright.

JJ--rugged, warm, good gain.

Yeah, I'll have to try a Mullard.

tunghaichuan
March 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
You guys got my interest so I checked my tube stash:

RCA 12AX7 tubes:

http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/IMG_2931.JPG

http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/IMG_2932.JPG

Amperex 12AX7 tubes:

http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/IMG_2930.JPG

5751 tubes:

http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/IMG_2929.JPG

I also have some Mullards, Telefunkens, and some GE 12AX7 tubes as well. I fogot I had these. I've been using crappy Sovtek 12AX7s in my builds as "hole fillers."

You guys are going to hate me, but I don't believe I paid more than $1 each for any of those tubes. I got them all at hamfests. Most are used, but for $1 each I'm willing to take a chance and weed out the duds.

My last big score at a hamfest was a bag of tubes for $20. Inside there were like 30 black plate RCA 12AT7 tubes, all brand new in their boxes. Along with a bunch of less desirable tubes. Probably 60-75 tubes in all.

If you go to http://www.arrl.org, you can find a listing of hamfests in your area. It may save you some cash. But to be honest, hamfests are kind of hit and miss. Sometimes all you find is 10 year old computer parts, but every once in a while something cool/rare comes along.

tung

Bloozcat
March 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hate you for finding NOS tubes for $1....?

No, I'm envious and want to do the same thing...:D

Ah, if only I had more time to wander about the ham fests where the deals are...

Some other tubes I picked up a while ago were some Bell (India) 12AX7's. Mullard set up the factory in India and these tubes are essentially Indian made Mullard Blackburns. They were made for NATO applications, so they're definitely NOS types. They're great tubes that do have those Blackburn characteristics. Got those from my ole' buddy Terry Kilgore (a.k.a. The Tubetramp). He's got an ear like few others I've met, and a nose for deals on tubes. On top of that, he's a killer guitar player too...:AOK: