PDA

View Full Version : Something strange just happened

Spudman
March 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I post clips of my lead playing on thefret from time to time. Usually they are public backing tracks that I just put a lead track or more on. Simple. Nothing too elaborate.

Today while checking out another forum I found a post of what was claimed to be clips of a 62 Strat. Naturally since I'm a gear nut I wanted to hear this because I might like to get some 60's pickups if it sounds good. So I click the link to listen.

It happened to be one of those backing tracks that we have around here for anyone to play on and I was thinking that this will be a good demo since I'm familiar with the track. Boy was I familiar with the track. It was the very same track that I had recorded WITH MY LEAD ON IT! This person was passing it off as their own.

After a confrontation the original poster took the track away along with any links so further comparison could not be made. I have invited the OP to put the track back up so that everyone could be the judge. We'll see if that happens.

I just thought the whole thing was strange...especially since it was recorded with a Squire HH. I guess now I'll never know what those 60s pickups sound like.

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Well at least your clips are good enough to be pirated!!

Algonquin
March 11th, 2008, 07:15 PM
That's bizarre... :confused:

I'd be inclined to be sceptical of anything that user had ever, or will ever post again. Very poor karma...

Good catch Spuds

just strum
March 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM
This will be interesting if he complies. It's sort of like a Prince thing, but more entertaining.

tot_Ou_tard
March 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Freaking amazing Spud.

Another lesson in "do not believe everything you hear on the net."

It's great that you called him out.

oldguy
March 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM
That's one reason I made videos of my playing. Good or bad, like it or hate it, it's me. I've gotten compliments, insults, and comments I couldn't decipher, as well as vague "left handed compliments" like keep on with your woodshedding, you'll improve if you keep trying. :bravo: :bravo:
I guess one saving grace here at TheFret is we all know each other, and we know you are an accomplished player, Spud. When we hear your clips, we know it's you. It might be hard to recognize you on another forum, but it would sound familiar......:whatever:
Someone posing as another, while posting clips is rather sad, tho. I guess they're either unsure of their ability or an out and out ripoff artist.:pancake:
At least here we encourage one another, no matter what the skill level, and don't pass ourselves off in a phony manner. That's what family's about.:beer:

Adrian30
March 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM
That's bizarre!
What would one gain by stealing someone else's clip? Was he selling a "62 Strat"?

luvmyshiner
March 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Not only is that bizarre, it's reprehensible. Good for you calling the jerk out Spud. As a general rule, I don't like being confrontational on forums (shut up "W's":D ). But there are times when it's entirely appropriate. Someone stealing your tunes and claiming them as their own is just sleazy.

just strum
March 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Not only is that bizarre, it's reprehensible. Good for you calling the jerk out Spud. As a general rule, I don't like being confrontational on forums (shut up "W's":D ). But there are times when it's entirely appropriate. Someone stealing your tunes and claiming them as their own is just sleazy.

Wait until the guy on the tractor comes after you.:D

Robert
March 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
There are many bizarre geezers out there who have no backbone.

tot_Ou_tard
March 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM
That's some sleaze that I don't wanna see. :eek:

Algonquin
March 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
That's some sleaze that I don't wanna see. :eek: +1 on that.

luvmyshiner
March 11th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Hey dude, he's public domain. Screw him.:D :D Besides, I'm relatively sure I can outrun him, as long as he's not on his tractor.:dude:

sumitomo
March 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Ah ha Ill bet that hes the guy who is playing on that vid of Eddie,I know Eddie cant even try to play that bad.Sumi

Spudman
March 11th, 2008, 09:03 PM
It could have been a mistake but to just vanish afterward is a little strange. Oh, and it was.............................a woman.

Jimi75
March 12th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Hey Spud, see it more as a compliment for your playing. Maybe that player was unexperienced, you know how peple can be sometimes...and he was impressed by your clip. Someone wants to be as good as Spud :bravo:

The strangest thing happening to me was one guy on the tube writing to me and thanking me for the autographed picture I have sent to him :thwap:
I really didn't know what was wrong with him - autographed picture? Me?

SuperSwede
March 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM
The world is full of Spud-wannabies! Luckily thefret have the original!

Guitar Gal
March 13th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Spud,

I also listened to the clip that this person posted on another forum. I then followed it when I saw you replied that this person was a fraud. I listened to both clips and to my ears they were the same. I'm not sure how someone could knowingly post a clip of someone else's playing, claim it to be their own, and not think that they would get caught eventually. :thwap:

Although this person claimed to be a woman, perhaps that was a lie as well :confused:

If the poster was indeed a woman, it saddens me deeply.....not "how could a woman do this", but her actions have most likely cast a "doubt of authenticity" in listeners ears as other female guitarists post clips on forums.

There are many puzzling aspects to this situation. Very strange indeed.

GG

Childbride
March 13th, 2008, 08:36 PM
i would think that anyone would want to stand on their own kudos, their own accomplishments, and be the person that they are, regardless of their skill level. our walk with this instrument is our own. we should each be proud of our steps within this walk, and to take from others is shameful.

as in Life. you are the steps you have Taken. be proud in what You are. do not steal from Others. in anything that you Do.

but that's just Me.

k

sunvalleylaw
March 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Right on CB!

There are a few of us newbs here who have posted, and received huge support, and excellent advice as a result. Kind of defeats the purpose to pretend if you ask me. I would urge any member, and esp. newer members who have not posted, to check out the backing tracks and hop on one. Re-start one, or start your own. You won't regret it! :AOK:

aeolian
March 13th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I guess some people just want credit even when they don't deserve it. On the internet you are totally anonymous and you don't have to be what you claim to be.

A number of years ago a similar thing happened on the Carvin discussion board. A person from Europe started posting these really excellent pieces of music he claimed that he recorded. This went on for several months until one time someone recognized a piece as something off of a commercial recording.

Iago
March 13th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I' ve seen the same happening years ago in another forum I take part too.. funny ain't it?