PDA

View Full Version : New Guitar in the house!

Lev
March 12th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I took delivery yesterday of my Relic'd Vintage Peter Green Lemon Drop tribute. It was an interesting experience, I did have reservations about buying a relic'd guitar and taking it out of the box I was completely underwhelmed. Buying a new guitar previously had always been about the excitement of unwrapping a nice shiny new Axe but unwrapping what looked like a beat up old plank was strange indeed.

I have no idea what a 40 year old beat up LP is supposed to look like so I can't comment on how authentic the relicing is but my fist impression was that this was quite an ugly Axe. Anyway I reminded myself that this was only €350 (Epi LP's retail in Europe for between €400 and €700) so I reserved judgment until I plugged it in.

After I unwrapped it I found the warranty card which was signed with a detailed quality control check list - nice! Not something I was expecting on a 'budget' guitar. I checked all the usual stuff, frets, tuners switches - all passed my quality checks and and all felt well put together and solid.

Then I plugged it in and started playing, this thing is a tone monster. Every classic LP tone is in there and the pickups are wired out of phase so the middle position gives a real 'honky' type tone. But the playability of this guitar is amazing, the action is the lowest I've ever come across, the frets could do with a polish but are consistent and I can find no dead spots. The relic'd neck gives a satin feel and your hand can just glide across the neck.

Bottom line, this is a great sounding, high quality guitar. It may be a bit of an ugly duckling but I think I'll grow to love it!!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/18947d7c53d1e3a6.jpg

Brian Krashpad
March 12th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Congrats!

More pics! ;)

tot_Ou_tard
March 12th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Congrats! If it rocks, it works! :rockon:

Who made that ax?

pie_man_25
March 12th, 2008, 06:52 AM
looks nice! I've never really understood the purpose of relicing either, but I've never really owned one either.

ZMAN
March 12th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Lev: Sorry I am new here and maybe you discussed this guitar before and I missed it. I have never heard of an Epi Peter Green tribute, and a relicd one at that? Is this a special edition? Can you give us a little background on the guitar. Thanks.

Algonquin
March 12th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Lev: Sorry I am new here and maybe you discussed this guitar before and I missed it. I have never heard of an Epi Peter Green tribute, and a relicd one at that? Is this a special edition? Can you give us a little background on the guitar. Thanks.
Not an Epiphone ZMAN... It's a Vintage Peter Green Lemon Drop tribute. 'Vintage' is the manfacturer.

I've seen a Gent on Youtube play a 'Vintage' LP and it sounded great. Mind you he was a very good player, but so is Lev...

Looking forward to clips Lev!

Congrats.

Robert
March 12th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Ahh, that is nice! I bet that thing rox! Congrats!

marnold
March 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM
After I unwrapped it I found the warranty card which was signed with a detailed quality control check list - nice! Not something I was expecting on a 'budget' guitar.
My Fullerton bass had one of those checklists with it too, but whoever did the initialing obviously didn't check anything or their definition of "quality control" is far different from mine.

Lev
March 12th, 2008, 08:10 AM

Hi ZMAN, full details are in this thread, including a video of UK session player Rob Chapman, who's endoresed by Vintage, ripping it up.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6203

I'm not sure if these guitars are available in the US but they do apparently have a distributor in Canada.

Jimi75
March 12th, 2008, 08:36 AM
How many times did I praise the quality of the VINTAGE Icon series.....
Congratulations LEV, you bought the best Les Paul copy available at the time and especially that Peter Green model is great.

:master:

Let us hear clips as soon as possible!

sunvalleylaw
March 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Nice Lev! Looking forward to one of your great vids showing it off. I am glad you are enjoying the tones.

just strum
March 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Congrats Lev, sounds like the risk paid off. I'm like the rest of the people and you about the relicing, but you know that is a sweet looking guitar. As for sound, it seems you are very pleased and that is what counts.

You did more that "all right" on this one.:AOK:

warren0728
March 12th, 2008, 10:38 AM
looks great lev...i'm sure you will love it! :beer:

ww

Adrian30
March 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Congrats! Looks cool and you'll love it.

ZMAN
March 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
The reference to the Epi threw me. I have heard about the Peter Green Vintage in another forum and I didn't put the two together. I will take a look.
Thanks for clearing that up.

ZMAN
March 12th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I looked up Vintage and got the Reviews. They sound like a very nice guitar for the money. I sent an email to the distributor up in Markham. Not too far away. We shall see what the Can. price is.

Lev
March 12th, 2008, 12:40 PM
ZMAN check out Rob Chapman on youtube, he demo's the AV series and the Icon series strat too.

http://ie.youtube.com/user/RobChappers

Blaze
March 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Wow ! I guess it is a monster ,it makes me think that there s quit a few relics sleeping for years in wardrobes all around the world..

Too bad for us ...

Peter Green was in is time a delicious and melodic guitar player..

Congrat...

Blazes

warren0728
March 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Peter Green was in is time a delicious and melodic guitar player...
+1000... :greenguitar:

too bad he went over the deep end... :messedup:

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Wow that's your Lev? Cool man congrats! I love Lemon Drops!

SuperSwede
March 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Awesome guitar Lev... even if I really dont get the relic hype at all.

ZMAN
March 12th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Yes the tone sounds good through that cranked orange amp. I said I wasn't going to buy any more clones, but if I get a response from the local distributor and the price is right I may just be making a trip to Markham Ontario.

Katastrophe
March 12th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Nice guitar, Lev. Congrats! :AOK:

I wonder if there is a US distributor for those. Looks like a great value, and you know the parts are good if they're from Wilkinson...

ZMAN
March 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I got a hold of the distributor and he will get back to me with the closest place that stocks these guitars. I will then have to find out what it will cost.
I know my local guy does not stock Vintage, but there are probably others in the area that don't have Gibson or Fender dealerships. I will get back to you on the outcome.

street music
March 12th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Congrats on the new relic. that doesn't right????:bravo:

Guitar Gal
March 12th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Nice one Lev :bravo:

She does not look like an "ugly duckling" to me.....and you definitely need to post some more pics :AOK:

GG

oldguy
March 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Congrats on the new axe, Lev!
I never really cared about relic'd guitars, but if the parts are quality, and it sounds good, I say enjoy!
God knows I've bought plenty of worn guitars because I loved the vibe.
Also, this line seems to be more concerned with sound and playability.
That's what really counts. It looks gorgeous, also. Very nice workmanship!
Can we hear some clips?

ZMAN
March 13th, 2008, 09:32 AM
He Lev Now you have done it. I am going to drop by the distributor today and take a look at the vintage Lemon drop. They are 469 and that was without bargaining. So I may be grabbing one for myself. Ain't gas a terrible thing.
I am not one for relic'd guitars but the tone on this one just seem to be right down my ally. I am a big fan of the electrice blues ala Gary Moore, and Peter Green back in the Mayall days.
I will let you guys know.

Lev
March 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
He Lev Now you have done it. I am going to drop by the distributor today and take a look at the vintage Lemon drop. They are 469 and that was without bargaining. So I may be grabbing one for myself. Ain't gas a terrible thing.
I am not one for relic'd guitars but the tone on this one just seem to be right down my ally. I am a big fan of the electrice blues ala Gary Moore, and Peter Green back in the Mayall days.
I will let you guys know.

you know it makes sense :bravo:

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I reread the introduction. So cool it's done the out of phase wiring then ala Peter Green. I've heard lots of cool PG vids on youtube and that tone is signature Green...a very unique sound. Looking forward to a clip on your youtube space sir.

elavd
March 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Very nice guitar LEV !!! :bravo:

I will say a Greek expression just for the occasion: "me ya" !!! (this means: enjoy it with health...)

I am alson looking forward to see a clip with your beauty in YouTube

Plank_Spanker
March 13th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Bottom line, this is a great sounding, high quality guitar. It may be a bit of an ugly duckling but I think I'll grow to love it!!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/18947d7c53d1e3a6.jpg

I've never been a fan of relics, but I actually think that guitar looks cool!

And a tone machine to boot...........................:D

Congrats, Lev! :AOK:

ZMAN
March 13th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Well time to report. All I can say is that with this internet this is a mighty small world.
After seeing the Icon series guitars at the Skewes web site I contacted the distributor in Canada, by email. He returned my email almost immediately with two locations that sold the guitar. I called the one that is in my Dad's hometown just down the road 1/2 hour. I was going to visit my Dad today anyway. They said that had two of them in stock. I had given the owner the model mumber.
I visited the store and unfortunately they had two but they were the darkburst and the Heritage Cherry in the icon series distressed models. They were VERY nice guitars. They also had two of the strat style in the icon series, one in Sunset sunburst that is more like a vintage burst, and one in vintage white with a mint green guard. They were also VERY nice. The distress level is more prevalent on the strats. The LPs were less distressed but were in an almost satin finish. The necks on the LPs were quite well done and the bodies were bound neck and body. I didn't get to plug them in because of time constraints but I was very impressed by the feel and finish on these guitar. The actions as is were quite low and no buzzes. I didn't like the strings but I would change them and get a pro set up done anyway. The fellow in the shop said that the reason they were selling them was the tone from the pickups.
The cost was 469 Can. for the LP and 429 for the Strats. That was without haggling. I am pretty sure I could get one for a little less.
My overall impression was that these are amazingly cool looking guitars. They have satin finish that really looks like an aged finish.
The lead time on the Peter Green model is 2 months as they are out of stock in Canada, but I have a hold on one when they come in.
If they sound anything like the youtube clip they are well worth the money.
I am lucky enough to have an empty Gibby les paul case that needs filling
You know that little HCherry distressed model is starting to get to me.

ZMAN
March 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hey Lev: I am seriously thinking of getting one of those distressed Vintage guitars. Have you seen the other models in that series? And if so how would you compare them to the Lemon drop.
You have had a couple of days with her now so what is your take on it.
I saw a couple of pictures of the real Peter Green Les paul and the vintage looks pretty close.
I thought you might like to hear the real Peter Green Lemon Drop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqAuuIDU2sw&feature=related

Lev
March 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Cool thanks ZMAN, so far I've played through my Vox AD50vt and it sounded great but today I had an hour free so I cleaned the frets put on a set of D'addario XL 10's and plugged into my G-Dec Junior - Oh my, what a sound! I was considering off loading my G-Dec coz I couldn't get a good rock sound with my strats but with this thing it just sings. I hope to get a few hours over the weekend to crank it through my Hot Rod Dlx and hopefully record a youtube demo.

I'm still having some issues getting used to how it looks, apparently no two of these lemon drops are exactly the same and some are darker than others. Mine is kinda bright yellow, I'd prefer it a bit darker. But once it's in my hands I don't give a sh!t what it looks like it's just such fun to play.

I like the look of the V100 Icons and the pickups are the same as the LD, just wired out of phase on the LD. I'd say go back to the store and plug one of those babys in, I haven't tried one so I can't advise too much. But overall I have alot of confidence in this brand, I rarely see a bad review and the Wilkinson parts are top quality....

More to follow in the coming days as I spend more time with it....

ZMAN
March 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
did you get a chance to check out the video? I use D'Addario 9.5s on all my guitars. They are just a little thicker than a 9 but not a 10. I am a huge fan of Gary Moore and at first it didn't hit me about the Peter Green Lemon drop being Gary's old guitar. I was playing some of his stuff today and had a blast. I was using my new 08 Studio, and with my Fulltone pedals I can get pretty close.
I will have to wait a couple of months to get mine but I think I will definitely pick one up.
I have a really good tech who will set mine up for me just the way I like it.
Oh yea. Does it fit into a standard LP case?

Lev
March 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hey ZMAN,

great video you sent me. The Vintage LD actually looks alot more beat up than the original :) . The main difference is the satin finish on the Vintage, you can see on that Video that Gary Moore's still has a glossy shine from his. Pictures of the Vintage can be deceptive, the wood grain and relicing can give the illusion of a shine in photographs but it's very much a satin finish. I guess this is what keeps the cost down.

This is my first LP so I can't say if it'll fit in standard LP case but I'd be very surprised if it didn't.

I'll have more to report soon.

Talk to ya later
-Lev

ZMAN
March 14th, 2008, 03:00 PM
The two that I saw at the dealer were the Tobacco, and Cherry Burst. They were both that satin look and were relicd. They did look really like an aged guitar. Apparently there is a technique for polishing thoses. Some of the guys who bought the faded series Gibson LPs have used it. It might just brighten up the finish.

Spudman
March 15th, 2008, 12:37 AM
That Gary and BB video is tight. It's so sweet I'm gettin fat listening to it.:AOK:

ZMAN
March 15th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I checked over on the Les Paul forum and they are using Meguires Virtuoso polish on the faded series to bring out the satin's shine. There have been some pretty good results. You might try that to brighten up that dull satin look. I personally really like the look of the other ICON series distressed models.
Oh yea while you are on You tube you have to take a look at the Gary Moore doing Red House at Wembly. With a STRAT!

ZMAN
March 16th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Lev: Could you do me a big favour and take a full front and rear shot of your guitar. You could email them to me. The picture on the web site looks more orange than lemon. I have seen pretty good pictures of the original and I would like to see how she compares.
The shop that has them wants me to put a deposit on one because they were not sure if they would be getting one in for stock. So I would like to see some pics of a real one.
Thanks in advance.

Lev
March 17th, 2008, 04:02 AM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/IMG_6880.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/IMG_6878.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/IMG_6876.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/IMG_6877.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/IMG_6875.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/IMG_6874.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/IMG_6873.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/IMG_6872.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/IMG_6871.jpg

ZMAN
March 17th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Hey thanks Lev. That is perfect. I have been doing some research on the "Lemon Drop", and it seems that the original color for these were Cherry sunburst. I have seen several 59s now that are listed as "cherry sunburst faded to Lemon Drop"
Those pictures you took are really close to the original. I have seen pics of moore playing it in 82 and it was much more orange. There is a video on Youtube of just the guitar at the Dallas guitar show last year, and it is very close to yours.
Thanks again. I will be putting a deposit for sure now.
Also this guitar is a candidate for the Mequiers Virtuoso polish trick, it will restore a bit of shine to the front and still keep it vintage looking.
Brian

Lev
March 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I didn't have time to put together a proper youtube video but here's a rough cut of me jaming, I switch between all 3 pickup settings to give an idea of the tones available. My playing is pretty terrible on this but you get the idea...

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/?action=view&current=lemon2.flv

ZMAN
March 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Nice tone, what where you playing through?
Nothing wrong with the playing sounds good. Over all do you feel the guitar is worth owning. It will cost me around 500 Can. My Studio was 1099, so that will give you an idea.
How does that "out of phase" affect the tone.

stingx
March 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Looks nice. Found the webpage for specific info on it:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

Would be over $800 USD and I think I'd be more inclined to score an Edwards LP for that, or maybe a Tokai.

Enjoy!

http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/spec/e-lp-105lts-re.html

ZMAN
March 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Stingx: I guess you missed the post where I mentioned I can get one for under 500 Can. I am putting a deposit on it on Wednesday. I am interested in the guitar because of the Peter Green./Gary Moore guitar, that it replicates.
I thought the same as you that with the British Pound being 1.99 they would be in the 700 to 800 range. But I went to the dealers and the price on the
V100 Icon series was 469, without haggling. The Brit price for the Lemon is 349, but the sales person said they were the same price. We shall see when I order it. I would say it might be in the 499 range. About the same price as an Epi Standard here.

Lev
March 18th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Nice tone, what where you playing through?
Nothing wrong with the playing sounds good. Over all do you feel the guitar is worth owning. It will cost me around 500 Can. My Studio was 1099, so that will give you an idea.
How does that "out of phase" affect the tone.

thanks, I'm playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with some distortion added by a Zoom G2. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the guitar and given that they are still quite rare in North America it'd certainly be a talking point at gigs/jams.

The price in the UK is now only £260, so I picked it up for €350euro, at that price it was a steel. For once us Europeans are getting a better deal than you guys!! ;) For me, I didn't have an LP in my collection so this thing can get me in to tonal territories my strats couldn't go. The out of phase tone is quite subtle - almost like playing through a semi-cocked wah, just a little more nasal/honky tone than usual.

I was also worried that it may be excessively heavy, quite a few LP's that I'd tried in the past were back breakers but this is maybe just slightly heavier than a strat, very comfortable to play. The intonation was slightly out on the G string but that was easily fixed.

Overall I'm very pleased with this guitar, as I said before I've always been a strat guy so I can't give a detailed comparison against other LP's on the market. But I do know what a quality guitar feels like and sounds like and this baby hits the mark!!

Jimi75
March 18th, 2008, 04:14 AM
The pictures are great and the video is awesome! This guitar rocks and you play some great blues stuff in that video!

Thanks for keeping us informed.

ZMAN
March 18th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Great description Lev. The JHS website has the MSRP at 349 pounds. So you did get a decent price. I agree with the weight of the guitar. The Icon series that I picked up were fairly light. My Elitist is heavy and my Studio is much lighter with the chambered body.
I hate to ask but could you do me a favour? Could you measure the distance at the widest point (Bout) of the body, and from the tip of the horn to the side whith the selector switch, and top to bottom. I am hoping it will fit into a standard LP style case.
I have several tube amps including a Blues Deluxe Reissue so I can get a feel for how it will sound through that. I would love to hear one through my favourite 65 Deluxe.
Brian

ZMAN
March 19th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I hate to report that I got a shock today. I went to put a deposit on the guitar and the price I was quoted was 599 Can. I can't believe that the guitar is 130 dollars more than the regular icon series guitars they have in stock. So this is a deal breaker. We are into some pretty high end guitar territory with that price. And add a case for 75 to 100 bucks. With Gibson prices coming down by hundreds of dollars here in Canada we are in the faded mahogany territory, with real burstbuckers and case included.
I am going to email the distributor and let him know I am a little pissed.
Brian

Lev
March 20th, 2008, 04:14 AM
That's too bad ZMAN, I completely understand you backing out on the purchase, one of the most appealing aspects for me was the fact that it was a bargain - I wouln't have gone for it at that price either.

However for those fretters in the UK and Europe definitly check out the Vintage Icon series, it's not often that we get good kit at a low price on this side of the atlantic!

ZMAN
March 20th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I must admit that the relic Icon series are quite nice. You know now I think about it I might just check out the Regular Icon. They have just about the same set up and they are quite nice. I was so disappointed with the price on the lemon that I didn't even think about the other. They are 469 without bargaining.
I still have not heard back from the distributor. I sent him a little consumer feedback.

ZMAN
June 3rd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Lev: It has been a couple of months since you received the lemon drop. I was wondering what you felt about it now that you have had it awhile.
Any likes or dislikes on the guitar?

Lev
June 3rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Lev: It has been a couple of months since you received the lemon drop. I was wondering what you felt about it now that you have had it awhile.
Any likes or dislikes on the guitar?

I still love it, it's the first guitar I reach for when I want to jam.
The neck is soo good, for example the song Satch Boogie I gave up on years ago because of a a tricky little pull off in the main riff that I could never get on my strats. On the LD it's a piece of cake, don't get me wrong my strats aren't setup bad or anyhing but the LD neck is just like butter.

I'd be surprised if every piece that rolls off the production line is this good, I think I just may have got a great neck with an awsome factory setup - I still can't believe how relatively inexpensive this great guitar was (for Europe anyway).

From a tone point of view it may not be jack of all trades, but it really excels on heavier tones. Having said that the clean tones are useable. I rarely use the middle 'out-of-phase' setting, it doesn't sound bad but my personal taste leans more towards the hard rock bridge PUP or the bluesy neck PUP.

My main dislike is still the relic finish but I firmly believe it adds to the tone and playability (sanded neck).

I noticed a couple of great new youtube vids (below) and I will be posting my own as soon as I get the time.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=eLYmkfeRJl4
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=L7MzGfYKaVo