PDA

View Full Version : Yngwie with Alcatraz

Robert
March 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Believe it or not, but one of my biggest influence ever was Yngwie Malmsteen. His work with Alcatraz was awesome, and here are a couple of videos from 1984 I think. :bravo:

I don't even try to play like him anymore as you probably know, but when I was 15, I practiced like crazy because I heard him say in an interview he practiced 12 hours a day when he started... I never got the technique he has, but I sure improved after many hours a day of alternate picking!

Great showmanship too - he is constantly moving, playing with his teeth, trowing his guitar around. You'll see no screw-ups or sloppiness in his playing. His timing and accuracy is incredible.

I dig the tunes too! Graham Bonnet has a bit of trouble singing the tunes live, but on the studio versions he is dead on. Gotta love that 80s shred! :rockon:
Evil Eyed
z7i5_JrREMk

Hiroshima Mon Amour
YT3Auukor3g

Kree Nakoorie with long show-off solo! :dude:
lQpoNtw0IuY

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I used to love Yngwie back then. His youthful enthusiasm and flare for the dramatic was what rock and roll is all about.

marnold
March 13th, 2008, 11:49 AM
The first time I heard Trilogy Suite was one of my favorite 80s moments. I've got Alcatrazz's "No Parole from Rock 'N' Roll" and "Disturbing the Peace". IIRC Yngwie was on the former and Steve Vai is actually the guitarist on the latter. I loves me some shred. His live cover of "Spanish Castle Magic" is surprisingly good and faithful while still clearly being Ygnwie.

Jimi75
March 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Thank you so much for posting these clips! We can witness a fantastic playing Yngwie. Man how much I love this stuff - it is the stuff that my dreams were made of when I was a young guitar player that listened over and over to his Malmsteen tapes.

SuperSwede
March 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
For me, this is the kind of stuff that separates Yngwie from most of the "other" 80´s shredders...

igJVOt3UuHI

Spudman
March 13th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Yngwie is still around but what ever happened to Graham Bonnet?

I just remembered that I still have the edition of Guitar Player magazine from way back that featured this 19 year old (Yngwie) hot guitarist from Sweden. He was in the "spotlight" column.

sumitomo
March 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I never listened to Yngwie too much,but wow I really liked that.Man I get so pissed when I see someone who can use their pinky like that,well you said practice,practice.Me only about 1 hr or some days none.Well at least I can play as good as EVH.:rotflmao:Sumi

street music
March 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I agree with SuperSwede on that one, the guy can pick them strings.

Hilmer
March 15th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Yngwie has always been one of my absolute favourites when it comes to guitarplaying. The lines he plays are so fluid and it seems totally effortles even though it's quite advanced playing at high speeds.

I have put in many hours in trying to play like him but never got even remotely close - I just can't get those fingers of mine up to speed.

I actually went into a Hard Rock Cafe in San Francisco in 1988 and he was there too. He was sitting in a corner with a crowd surrounding him playing blues on an old acoustic that they had hung on the wall there.

I remember being amazed - he really can play very good blues too.

He even had the famous T-shirt on. The one with "Yngwie who?" on the front and "Yngwie F***ing Malmsteen, that's who" on the back.

Blaze
March 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Sound s like sweepin scales from top to bottom most of the time..he is good that s for sure but not my cup of tea..Im more into this :'' Bireli Lagrene '' can somebody stop him . oh my god !

Xwmpuvj8dSw

Blazes