PDA

View Full Version : Classified ad phishing scams

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Alright...the other day I posted an ad on Craigslist. I usually get excellent responses to my ads but this time I got an email from "a girl" inquiring about my ad. Simply stated she asked if the item was available. I replied with a friendly yes and gave her my cell phone number to contact me. Several days past and I hadn't heard from her so I emailed her back. She replies with a lengthy schpeel about wanting my item so bad and that I should provide her my full name, telephone number and address etc. etc. and she would send me a "certified check" and that her "mover" would pick up the item from me directly.

:rotflmao:

Well...I replied back with a friendly "sorry I don't accept checks thanks!". The reply back to me was the same exact response as before so I'm thinking that some stupid two bit internet thief has it set up for an auto response to emails. I knew immediately that this was a phishing scam to acquire my personal information. :whatever: Might work on poor unsuspecting gullibles but not with me BUT I thought I'd mention this just in case some of you qualify as such. :eek: ;)

SuperSwede
March 13th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Alright...the other day I posted an ad on Craigslist. I usually get excellent responses to my ads but this time I got an email from "a girl" inquiring about my ad. Simply stated she asked if the item was available. I replied with a friendly yes and gave her my cell phone number to contact me. Several days past and I hadn't heard from her so I emailed her back. She replies with a lengthy schpeel about wanting my item so bad and that I should provide her my full name, telephone number and address etc. etc. and she would send me a "certified check" and that her "mover" would pick up the item from me directly.

:rotflmao:

Well...I replied back with a friendly "sorry I don't accept checks thanks!". The reply back to me was the same exact response as before so I'm thinking that some stupid two bit internet thief has it set up for an auto response to emails. I knew immediately that this was a phishing scam to acquire my personal information. :whatever: Might work on poor unsuspecting gullibles but not with me BUT I thought I'd mention this just in case some of you qualify as such. :eek: ;)

These kind of scams are going on all the time on the net... we get a lot of reports about them at my job. Sadly, many people still thinks good about their fellow humans...

luvmyshiner
March 13th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Um . . . are y'all telling me I'm NOT going to get the two million dollars from Princess Fatu whose wealthy uncle was recently killed in a car accident and always wanted the money to be distributed for charitable purposes in the United States???????:reallymad:

SuperSwede
March 13th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Um . . . are y'all telling me I'm NOT going to get the two million dollars from Princess Fatu whose wealthy uncle was recently killed in a car accident and always wanted the money to be distributed for charitable purposes in the United States???????:reallymad:

Correct. But you WILL have Fame, Fortune and a dozen of Hot Blondes if you invest in the seven lucky wood elephants!

http://fengshui.stellarweb.biz/elephants.htm

luvmyshiner
March 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Oooooooooh! I gots to have me some of those SuperSwede.:master: As soon as my two million dollars get here I'm gonna' order a buttload of 'em.:D

Tone2TheBone
March 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Princess Fatu.... LMAO

Spudman
March 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Shiner. No need to wait for your 2 million. I'm going to send you a "buttload" of candy just so we can all see exactly what a buttload is to you. :poke: :D

This should be good. :rotflmao: Texans:thwap:

luvmyshiner
March 13th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Silly Spud! Where am I going to put the buttload of wood elephants if I already have a buttload of candy??:thwap:

Besides, "buttload" really is a word. Trust me, it's in . . . the, um . . . "Webster's Dictionary of Redneck Words".:AOK:

Spudman
March 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Besides, "buttload" really is a word. Trust me, it's in . . . the, um . . . "Webster's Dictionary of Redneck Words".:AOK:

I don't have that one. It was coming but it ended up getting torched when the outlaws robbed the last wagon train coming here. Guess I'll have to wait another 4 months to find out what other gems are in that book.

Oh...and just eat the candy.;) :bootyshake: :rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
March 13th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Sorry to hear about the wagon train Spud. Tone, I had that same type of deal one year ago, and the dude kept trying, but I kept telling him either paypal me or send me cash equivalent funds and once the funds are safely in my bank, I will ship. He did neither.

tot_Ou_tard
March 15th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Silly Spud! Where am I going to put the buttload of wood elephants if I already have a buttload of candy??:thwap:

I just dumped a buttload.

You can call'em elephants if it pleases you...or candy.

Either way they're yours.

luvmyshiner
March 15th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Um, yeah Tot . . . how were you planning on shipping those?:rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
March 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Um, yeah Tot . . . how were you planning on shipping those?:rotflmao:
Same way I mail..."elephants"...to the doctor, by the US postal service.

They give you an envelope: outta one chute & right into another.

:rotflmao: Prepaid :rotflmao:

Why they want is their business, I *don't* wanna know.