PDA

View Full Version : New Gibson... what a disappointment!

Rocket
March 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM
My new J-185 EC Rosewood arrived today.
Backstory: I've been lusting after a Spruce on Rosewood Jumbo EC for the last two years, specifically the Gibson J-185 EC Rosewood. When Sweetwater finally got one in stock I figured I could get it in time to take on tour so I immediately pulled the trigger and got it on order. Matt at SW promised it would be checked over there before shipping and guaranteed perfection. Heh!

Here's what arrived:
First, it left SW last Friday (7th) with a delivery date of 11th. Sat all weekend in Todedo and finally got moving on Monday with a changed delivery date of 12th. On Tuesday delivery date was changed to 13th.
Arrived about 45min ago even though tracking says it's still in Cocoa, FL.
Outer box was undamaged/unmarked, inner Gibson box was unopened (and therefore uninspected at SW.)
Case should have been a factory defect as it has crooked hinges and awful lam bubbling.
Regardless, opened case and caught the incredible toxic stench of wet nitrocellulose. I've never smelled anything so disagreeable on a guitar. I'm used to the pleasant smell of a new guitar, something more akin to spruce, or cedar, or anything but that... obviously left the factory way too soon!

I picked up the guitar and preamp unit fell into upper bout. That was enough for me! If this is what 3K gets a Gibson customer these days, I'm out!
No wonder everyone is playing Taylor's these days and music stores are no longer carrying Gibson.

strumsalot
March 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Dang...hate to hear that Rocket.:(

Jampy
March 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Yea, what a bummer.

I have never bought a new guitar worth over $500.00 dollars and if I did I would be every bit as disappointed as you, from what your telling us.

Time for a Taylor I guess..

luvmyshiner
March 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM
That sucks Rocket. I feel your pain brother.

mrmudcat
March 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Ouch im sorry about this maybe a Martin after all for me!!! Although some blame must go to the etailer:whatever:

Rocket
March 13th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Sweetwater is paying for return and refunding full amount, but still!

Actually, last thing I bought from Sweetwater also had to be returned.
I bought a new case for Rockette's new Masterbilt EF... wrong size case arrived and hygrometer face was broken. They shipped out the correct case same day and paid for return of damaged/wrong one.
Should have been caught prior to shipping though.

warren0728
March 13th, 2008, 01:32 PM
man that sucks...what did sweetwater say when you contacted them? for that kind of money they should ship you a new one that actually has been inspected and throw in a partial refund or something for your trouble...

ww

Rocket
March 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
True, it should have been caught at Sweetwater's pre-ship inspection, (if they actually do it)... but they didn't build it. It's purely a manufacturing/quality control issue.
Like I said previously; if that's what customers can expect from Gibson Montana... they might as well shut it down and move production to China like everyone else and at least save the customers about 2/3 of the production cost because they're obviously asleep at the controls in Montana!

Rocket
March 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Well, as everyone that know me knows this... I'm a huge pain-in-the-*** when I've been wronged.

Sweetwater was extremely apologetic and ready to do the right thing (as I had already contacted the President & Director of Customer Service at Sweetwater.) They've been backordered forever for that particular model though, so no help there.

Next, I called Gibson Corp Office and received a direct contact to Montana Quality Control which I immediately called. I gave them the whole ugly story and they are buzzing about finding what went wrong and what they can do for to get me a custom build J-185 EC Rosewood and deliver it to me on tour.

Now I gotta decide if I even still want one!

warren0728
March 13th, 2008, 02:54 PM
get me a custom build J-185 EC Rosewood and deliver it to me on tour.

Now I gotta decide if I even still want one!
oh you still want one...you just want the right one! :AOK:

hey where are you touring?

ww

Rocket
March 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Update:
Gibson Montana cut Sweetwater out of the loop and is having this one picked up tomorrow. They want first hands on it to see if maybe someone at Sweetwater somehow damaged the preamp control unit and then attempted to cover up by gluing it back in place.

Gibson is starting on my J-185 EC Rosewood and will take about 2-weeks to complete. They will then overnight it to wherever I am when it finishes.
Lavonne guarantees perfection... We'll see!

(I'll be with Nancy Atlas Project until Labor Day.)

Justaguyin_nc
March 13th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Well, as everyone that know me knows this... I'm a huge pain-in-the-*** when I've been wronged.

I have been a big pain in the.... for much less!

You have every right to be pissed...

I feel for ya.. especially for that kind of money.

And as Warren said.. you still want one.. ;)

Just make sure they give you the right one!! :AOK:

Kodiak3D
March 13th, 2008, 03:20 PM
You're not being a pain, you're standing up for what you deserve. When you pay that kind of money for a guitar (or ANYTHING) it better be good.

Sorry to hear it happened, but glad to hear Gibson is making it right. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

oldguy
March 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Glad to hear someone heard you ( I bet they, did, too, I bet:AOK: ) and is doing some damage control ASAP.
Let us know how this plays out........ sounds like Gibson wants a satisfied customer. I'd like to know who's trying to cover their assez the most on this one.

just strum
March 13th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Rocket,

The late delivery I can understand (weather), but the rest is completely unacceptable. I am a little surprised to hear that about SW, but facts are facts. Glad to hear Gibson is making every effort to keep a customer.

I don't know about PITA, but you are persistent.

Good luck on the tour.

warren0728
March 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
hey rocket....are you going to be with nancy atlas during their june 20th gig at The Stephen Talkhouse in long island.....i might be in nyc then because of the jvc jazz festival....i will have access to a car and could maybe make the show!

ww

Rocket
March 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
hey rocket....are you going to be with nancy atlas during their june 20th gig at The Stephen Talkhouse in long island.....i might be in nyc then because of the jvc jazz festival....i will have access to a car and could maybe make the show!

ww
Unless very ill or dead, I'll be wherever they'll be until Labor Day weekend except for 2 incidental obligations that I must attend to.

warren0728
March 13th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Unless very ill or dead, I'll be wherever they'll be until Labor Day weekend except for 2 incidental obligations that I must attend to.
cool...you never know....i might make the show....still trying to work out the details about my trip to nyc... :AOK:

crazy that both of us live in florida and i might have to go to nyc to catch you live! :thwap:

ww

Rocket
March 13th, 2008, 09:28 PM
B.Y.O.B. (Bring yer own bail)

http://www.nancyatlas.com/images/BellyShot3.gif

wingsdad
March 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hey, Rocket...man, I know how you've wanted that piece since forever. What a story of Gibson blowing QC on a $3K guitar. You had every right to rip in to them, and it reminded me of The Saga of The Airline Eating Rocket's Cherished Les Paul. As this one unfolds for the next 2 weeks, I hope it turns out Aces for you, and you get a guitar kissed by The Lords of Gibson. I have a feeling it will, because you got their supreme attention. Best of Luck, man.

Rocket
March 13th, 2008, 10:01 PM
...and it reminded me of The Saga of The Airline Eating Rocket's Cherished Les Paul.
Grrrrr! USAir!
Funny how it never did show up "misplaced", huh?
To their credit... they did buy me a new LP, but like a trusty "Case" or "Old Timer" pocketknife... new is never the same.

spt
March 13th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Wow... I'd be mildly ticked too.
I'm sure Montana' QC will get you a good one in time but IT IS disheartening coming from a high profile US guitar company.

jpfeifer
March 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Wow, that's too bad about the guitar arriving in such bad shape, but it sounds like they're trying to make things right. Let's hope that the next one is o.k.

I've never been able to figure out what has happened with Gibson's quality control. I've seen a number of their high $$ guitars at Guitar Center with major problems over the past 4-5 years (cracked neck joints, cracked tops on their 335's, messed up paint, tone controls wired incorrectly, etc) and these were all things I saw on Les Pauls and 335's costing $2500 and up.

I love Gibsons but they should clean up their quality control.

-- Jim

tot_Ou_tard
March 14th, 2008, 07:44 PM
:AOK: Rock-on Rocket! :AOK:

:rotflmao: That's why I've never paid more than $175 for a guitar. :rotflmao:

...or it could be the lack of funds...or talent ;).