PDA

View Full Version : Toneport Pre-amp only?

Justaguyin_nc
March 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
As usual, I am confused...
Question: whats pre-amp only suppose to mean?
Confusing part:
In the toneport GX that I have, there are models I had ignored that say pre-amp only.
I haven't a clue why I was thinking that since the GX has only 1/4 inch input, this must be for some xlr option on the bigger units.
Then I thought maybe it means you need a preamp before it seeing these are acoustic and vocal models.

The GX works fine with a preamped mic running into it through these and also works
with my passive pickup in an acoustic straight to toneport although a bit less volume
which is corrected with the gain setting in the recording software.
So is this all they mean? a pre-amp only model is for added volume controlled by a pre-amp?

here is a clip starting passive pickup straight to toneport in acoustic pre-amp only model..
then at 1:45 or so a condenser mic through a pre-amp then to toneport.. everything else the same.
Although more volume in the condenser setup.. isn't it just the volume picked up?
guess it all works every which way!?! so why say pre-amp only on the models?

http://www.box.net/shared/myyh4ydwko

sunvalleylaw
March 14th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I am not sure I can answer the questions as to why for any of it, but here is the setting that I use when using a SM57 mic with my amph, and the one time or so I have recorded my acoustic. It is just the pre-set for mics that is pre-loaded in Gearbox. Is this basically what you are using?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/micsettingJpeg.jpg

Justaguyin_nc
March 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
yup, that's exactly how one of them looks SV... on the GX it's listed under preamp only models..
hmmm.. mine does not have the mic input sidebar like yours show to the side..
but I just wondered what they mean by preamp only..
maybe it's not suppose to work at all ? lol..

After listening to the clips some more..
I guess there is a pretty big boost in volume with a preamp..
must be what they meant.. pre-amp perferred? :)

sunvalleylaw
March 14th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I am not sure about the preamp part, though I guess it is to boost the signal from the mic. On the GX, you have a guitar input only rather than for mic, correct? The reason the mic is listed as input on the jpeg I posted is because it is a UX2 and there are multiple input options. When mic is selected as input, this is the default one that Gearbox pops up.

Justaguyin_nc
March 14th, 2008, 06:32 PM
ahhh...cool.. welp.. I guess that's it..

I knew a preamp boosted.. I just didn't understand why they said preamp only if they work anyways?

tot_Ou_tard
March 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Many amphulators have two different output modes.

Power amph, PA, or Line mode: The output is intended to go directly to a mixer, or full spectrum PA, power amph, or monitor. The signal is EQ'd to emulated a cab & guitar amph speakers.

Preamph mode: the output is expected to go directly into the preamph (ie input) of a a guitar amph. It is EQ'd for this, no cab modelling is added.

Could this be the case here?

Justaguyin_nc
March 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Preamph mode: the output is expected to go directly into the preamph (ie input) of a a guitar amph. It is EQ'd for this, no cab modelling is added.

Could this be the case here?

Well, if I read that right..then no.. cause you can choose different default setups which have cabs and amps and effects with the preamp models only.

I am thinking I just read more into preamp only.. maybe should have said preamp perferred..

or I am still totally confused..:thwap:

tot_Ou_tard
March 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Perhaps when you choose preamph only that means that you you only want the, say Plexi, preamph & that you'll use a different power amph & cab model.

Or I could be talking outta my :bootyshake: .

Justaguyin_nc
March 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
no, they are in their own grouping.. with different models, cabs amps etc.. etc.. at least on mine.. which is why I wondered to begin with..

edit: well wait, maybe that's part of it.. I just read it again as requires pre-amp models. which i now assume mean their MODEL is preamped..
I was blinded by preamp required and never let my brain go to the model part.. thanks tot!

tot_Ou_tard
March 14th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Well, you've got me then.:confused: