PDA

View Full Version : New pickguard for my Idol 64 DL

Kodiak3D
March 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM
First off, let me say that Terrapinguitars.com is really a class act business. I order both a silver pearl pickguard and a gold truss rod cover with "WI-64 DL" in black on it. The pickguard was perfect, but the truss rod cover was also in silver pearl, and no writing at all. I sent a polite e-mail to John (the owner) and he wrote back within 5 minutes apologizing and saying that he would send the me correct truss rod cover as soon as he could get it made. That's what I call customer service!

Now, on to the pics:

the old: (The one on the left)
http://www.kodiak3d.com/axes.jpg

The new:
http://www.kodiak3d.com/newguard.jpg

I like it!

t_ross33
March 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Funkilicious :beer:

Big K
March 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM
nice:bravo: :bravo:

just strum
March 16th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Kodiak,

Very nice. Very classy guitar. I always had a thing for those Idols and yours is top notch.:AOK:

Kodiak3D
March 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I've put a lot of work (and more than a little $$$) into it.

I really think Washburn gets overlooked a lot. I read many reviews about the WI-64's (regular, DL, vintage, etc) before I bought it and people just rave about them. I think it was Guitar Player magazine that gave it their guitar of the year award a year or two back. They're really a quality instrument at a nice mid-range price.

just strum
March 16th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Kodiak,

I agree with you on the Idol series. I did a lot of research and took it for a test drive. At the time the only thing that stopped me was lack of funds. I don't recall reading on real negative review. There were certain aspects individuals didn't like (not unlike any other guitar), but they still bought them because the positive far outweighed the negative that they found in the guitar.

bigoldron
March 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM
The 64 Idols are nice - I absolutely love my red DL. :D As far as anybody not liking anything about them, for the most part it's the VCC system that most everybody hates. Mine actually didn't have the VCC, but it did have low end pickups and pots, so I upgraded to CTS 500 ohm pots and a GFS Vintage '59 in the neck and a GFS Fat PAF in the bridge and she totally cooks now. :rockon:

From what I've seen, more and more of the lower end guitars seem to be getting better in quality, so a decent guitar won't cost too much. But, if you want one that can deliver that's a sweet player, has a good sound, with a set neck and good reviews in the guitar mags, it's hard to beat a 64 Idol. :AOK:

Kodiak, you did a great job upgrading a really great guitar. I hope you enjoy her for many years to come. Mine's certainly not going anywhere anytime soon. BTW, I also like that X33 sitting next to the Idol. She's a beaut also. :dude:

Kodiak3D
March 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I like my 33. Also a good guitar, especially with the GFS 60's-70's pickups.

ted s
March 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM
looking good kodiak

Plank_Spanker
March 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Sometimes, you just need a little bling.........definitely kicked the looks of that guitar up a notch or two..............:AOK:

bigoldron
March 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I like my 33. Also a good guitar, especially with the GFS 60's-70's pickups.

You know, it's hard to beat GFS pickups. I put 2 in my Idol and it totally transformed her sound, yet looks stock. I don't know of anybody who's not liked the GFS's. :master: :AOK:

Kodiak3D
March 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I had the Dream 180's in my Idol installed at a local shop (had some re-wiring and such done as well) and the guy said he'd heard of GFS, but had never hactually heard their pickups. He was stunned at how good mine sounded. He said the neck pickup was the loudest he'd ever heard.

Kazz
March 24th, 2008, 04:51 AM
is it a reflection or do you have pearly covers on your pickups as well? That is one sweet Idol man.....

bigoldron
March 24th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I had the Dream 180's in my Idol installed at a local shop (had some re-wiring and such done as well) and the guy said he'd heard of GFS, but had never hactually heard their pickups. He was stunned at how good mine sounded. He said the neck pickup was the loudest he'd ever heard.

Same experience with me. I originally put 2 Vintage '59's in my Idol, but the doggone neck pickup was so much louder, I swapped the bridge out with a Fat PAF. They match each other a lot better as far as volume. Plus, they both sound great! I'm sold on GFS's. :dude:

Kodiak3D
March 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM
is it a reflection or do you have pearly covers on your pickups as well? That is one sweet Idol man.....

Thanks, Kazz. The pickups do have a black/silver pearl finish as well. Here they are:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/dr180vihublp.html

Bigoldiron, I had to raise my bridge pickup all the way up and screw the neck down as far as possible to even mine out. However, they sound wonderful :D

pes_laul
March 24th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Real classy man:bravo: matches the pickups nice