PDA

View Full Version : digitech rp250 - first impressions

warren0728
March 14th, 2008, 12:33 PM
well i played around with my digitech rp250 this morning for the first time....i haven't actually read (or even looked at the manual yet) but i am definitely going to keep it!

I think it is just the ticket for practicing here in my townhouse. Found some cool sounds (by accident) as i haven't read up on it yet. I also hooked up my mac laptop to the auxiliary in (a feature i wouldn't want to do without) and played along to a couple of backing tracks from cd (at some point i will probably move all my backing tracks to an ipod to hook to the rp)....i also enjoyed the drum feature and dialed in a groove that i could play along to (practicing those scales up and down the neck).

not a very in depth report but i haven't really gotten to deep into the rp yet but i know i am enjoying it! :AOK:

ww

Justaguyin_nc
March 14th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Congrats on getting it going Warren.. look forward to some clips..
Really enjoy that OLDGUY ;) and his 250...

just strum
March 14th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Another rookie question - is this the same as a Boss ME-50 as far as what it does? I'm not referring to one being better than the other, just curious if they accomplish the same thing?

If they are I will widen my search so that I am not limited to the ME-50.

Warren, sorry for the hijack or at the very least, side track.

oldguy
March 14th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Congrats on getting it going Warren.. look forward to some clips..
Really enjoy that OLDGUY ;) and his 250...
Thanks, Justa.

Warren, I've liked mine ever since I got it. Never had a problem with it yet.
Glad you're enjoying it. I also like the drum patterns....much nicer than a metronome.
I won't say you should read the manual......but.......I downloaded the link to change parameters online, and it's awesome cool and easy, plus you can store the presets, name 'em, keep 'em on file till you need them, etc. Pretty handy.
And WAY quicker than tweaking those knobs on the unit. ;)

warren0728
March 14th, 2008, 03:28 PM
not sure...here is a link to the rp250 on guitar center's website.

rp250 (http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-RP250-Modeling-Guitar-Processor-103952149-i1168302.gc)

ww

warren0728
March 14th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks, Justa.

Warren, I've liked mine ever since I got it. Never had a problem with it yet.
Glad you're enjoying it. I also like the drum patterns....much nicer than a metronome.
I won't say you should read the manual......but.......I downloaded the link to change parameters online, and it's awesome cool and easy, plus you can store the presets, name 'em, keep 'em on file till you need them, etc. Pretty handy.
And WAY quicker than tweaking those knobs on the unit.
i'll have to check that out...

ww

just strum
March 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Warren,

Yep, it appears to be basically the same thing at least to this rookies eyes. Be interested in hearing more from you as you get more familiar to it. I'll have to check here to see if there are more threads on the subject.

warren0728
March 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
yeah...it's definitely gonna take some time to figure everything out but i am impressed with it so far! :bravo:

It's just nice to be able to play through this with headphones so i don't disturb anyone and really like the audio in so i can play to backing tracks.

i haven't played it through any of my amps yet but did at my friends music store and it sounded pretty good through an amp too.....definitely good enough for a strictly home player like myself!

i'm sure the boss would be just as good!...the main thing is to have fun with it!

ww

just strum
March 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM
yeah...it's definitely gonna take some time to figure everything out but i am impressed with it so far! :bravo:

It's just nice to be able to play through this with headphones so i don't disturb anyone and really like the audio in so i can play to backing tracks.

i haven't played it through any of my amps yet but did at my friends music store and it sounded pretty good through an amp too.....definitely good enough for a strictly home player like myself!

i'm sure the boss would be just as good!...the main thing is to have fun with it!

ww

heh heh, just bought a 350. New and a good deal. Thanks for the GAS Warren.:poke:

warren0728
March 14th, 2008, 04:27 PM
heh heh, just bought a 350. New and a good deal. Thanks for the GAS Warren.:poke:
glad to be of help... :beer:

ww

t_ross33
March 14th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Another rookie question - is this the same as a Boss ME-50 as far as what it does? I'm not referring to one being better than the other, just curious if they accomplish the same thing?

If they are I will widen my search so that I am not limited to the ME-50.

Warren, sorry for the hijack or at the very least, side track.

The Boss ME-50 is strictly a multi-effects board AFAIK. The RP series is multi-effects PLUS amp and cabinet modelling.

Trev

warren0728
March 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM
The Boss ME-50 is strictly a multi-effects board AFAIK. The RP series is multi-effects PLUS amp and cabinet modelling.v
not sure about the boss but yeah....the rp does have both amp and cabinet models (and combo amps) along with tons of effects you can apply to each amp and cabinet models (and combo amps)....

ww

ted s
March 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM
So, can you use this to record through into a Mac or PC via USB ?

warren0728
March 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
So, can you use this to record through into a Mac or PC via USB ?
yep...has usb output to plug directly into a mac or pc....

ww

just strum
March 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM
What is the casing on the RP's - plastic or metal? I cannot find anything regarding the materials used.

found the answer: "Durable die-cast chassis"

warren0728
March 14th, 2008, 06:42 PM
yeah it seems pretty durable....so far i'm impressed! :AOK:

ww

just strum
March 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I ordered mine and in 15 minutes I received a tracking number.:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

just strum
March 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Damn Warren, I've been doing some more reading on this thing and listening to demos, now I'm :drool:

Is it ok if I come down to your house until mine arrives?:rockon:

huh?:poke: huh?:poke: huh?:poke:

warren0728
March 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Is it ok if I come down to your house until mine arrives?
c'mon down....just pack some shorts and t-shirts....gonna be in the 80's here in the next couple of days!

ww

warren0728
March 21st, 2008, 10:33 PM
i am really enjoying this modeler! it is so nice to be able to play late at night and not bother anyone...put the backing tracks my instructor has me playing to on my ipod....plug in the guitar....plug in the ipod...plug in the headphones....pick an amp model and effects and start playing....sweeeeeet!

i know i haven't scratched the surface of the versatility of this thing but so far i love it....definitely gonna download the software oldguy mentioned (although i might wait til i upgrade my old powerbook laptop to one of the macbook pros)

ww

just strum
March 22nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
i know i haven't scratched the surface of the versatility of this thing but so far i love it....definitely gonna download the software oldguy mentioned (although i might wait til i upgrade my old powerbook laptop to one of the macbook pros)

ww

Where is this software you are referring to?

warren0728
March 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Where is this software you are referring to?
i believe it is the x-edit software....go to digitech's homepage and then go to the resources page....there was also a link on the rp250 page....you'll have to register to download it.

i think you can edit and make patches with your computer and then transfer them to the pedal (oldguy would know more about than me)

ww

rkwrenn
March 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
I got my RP-250 a couple of months ago and really like it.

Yep, definitely get X-Edit. I also had to get a USB driver for XP from the Digitech site as well. Everything installed fine. Using X-Edit is fairly easy and helps you understand the available functions. It is also possible to download presets from the digitech site too. These can be loaded into the RP-250 via X-Edit and USB. Of course, you can save/edit and move around user presets. Loads of stuff to play with using the PC interface but also learn how to get around on the device itself. Rehearsal or a gig may not be the best place to hook up the PC.

The RP-250 works great direct into the board for recording work. Here is a link to my Myspace...

http://www.myspace.com/exactchangeproject

All guitar sounds were done direct with the RP-250.

Playing live, I use the RP-250 with a Crate Powerblock solid state head into a 1x12 cab. I get a nice clean base sound with the Crate and let the RP do the rest. Simple and easy.

Cheers,

Bob

Duff
March 25th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I bought Sony Acid guitar recording software at Best Buy or CC, the one with the better price. I like it. I also have a Lexicon Omega for recording vocals, etc., and use Acid with it instead of the CubaseLE because, mainly, I'm getting used to the Acid program. Supposedly the Acid program has a lot of add on programs you can get like Mick Fleetwood drum loops. I hope these will work with my version. I think my version of Acid is 7.0. And I found out there are many different versions.

Duff