PDA

View Full Version : August Rush - Review

Skip77
March 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Friends,
Haven't seen a thread on this yet but if it exists please pardon the duplication. August Rush is the movie out on DVD this week about the young boy that journeys to find his parents using music and the inner voice. It seems a little predictable and even corny or far-fetched at times but I enjoyed it and think that most parents and musicians, alike, will agree that the film is definitely worth watching. Two thumbs up.

bigoldron
March 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Gee, I guess I'll never know. All we have here is Movie Gallery. Found out that ONLY Blockbuster carries it. They have the "exclusive" distribution rights to rent it. The closest one from here is probably 60 miles away.

Thanks a bunch, Blockbuster... :whatever: :nono:

Skip77
March 15th, 2008, 08:56 PM
bigoldron - i don't rent. bought it at walmart.

Childbride
March 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
we watched it last night on pay per view. i must own this movie... it made me cry; it really touched me. excellent, two thumbs way up from the movie freak. :master:

sunvalleylaw
March 16th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I saw it in the movie theatre with my wife and we enjoyed it very much. Bit o' a tear jerker. Though I was thinking in my mind that it could seem predictable or corny, it touched us somehow anyway.

Spudman
March 18th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Wow! What a great movie. I don't mind that I was crying through about half of it but the messages are great. I've been listening.

Skip77
March 26th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I'm glad all of you saw the movie - thanks for your comments. If I may hijack my own thread... on a contrary note, I bought Val Kilmer's "the Doors" and was disappointed. This movie is several years old but new to me. I'm sure Val Kilmer did a good job acting as Jim Morrison but the overall story was a bummer. Nothing but drugs, booze and cigarettes. I suppose it may be an accurate portrayal of The Doors but sometimes the truth is unpleasant.

Anyone else care to rate this one? I give it two thumbs down!

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I remember seeing it in the theatre and being unimpressed.

Robert
March 26th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I have yet to see this movie. I'll have to find it. The Doors movie sucked, yeah.

Spudman
March 26th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I'm glad all of you saw the movie - thanks for your comments. If I may hijack my own thread... on a contrary note, I bought Val Kilmer's "the Doors" and was disappointed. This movie is several years old but new to me. I'm sure Val Kilmer did a good job acting as Jim Morrison but the overall story was a bummer. Nothing but drugs, booze and cigarettes. I suppose it may be an accurate portrayal of The Doors but sometimes the truth is unpleasant.

Anyone else care to rate this one? I give it two thumbs down!

If you read the book "No One Here Gets Out Alive" then you'll understand the movie better I think. The movie isn't far off in my opinion and if that is the way it was then so be it. I'm just grateful for the terrific music they gave us.

The truth isn't always pretty or what you thought it was. I liked the movie but it certainly didn't leave me feeling real happy.

peachhead
March 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM
that's exactly what I thought of the book and the movie- both were quite depressing. I hate to say it but I ended up being not quite so impressed with Jim Morrison. Maybe he was "creatively inspired" by his drug use but still, imagine what he could have done otherwise?

I'll have to look for August Rush, I've never seen it.

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
August Rush is a completely different story than the Doors movie. Inspiration by connection to living beings, and positive energy in the universe vs. inspiration by drugs and darkness. I like a lot of the old Doors music, in measure, and really like the bluesy stuff, but I can't hang there too long. Kinda like Hunter S. Thompson. Intellectually very interesting, but I can't stay there.

Spudman
March 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Have your hanky ready when you watch August Rush.

peachhead
March 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Will it give me bonus points if I watch it with my wife? :D

Seriously, I am going to find it and watch it this weekend.

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM
My wife and I enjoyed it very much together.

Spudman
March 27th, 2008, 02:54 PM
My wife and I enjoyed it very much together.

Same here.

Tone2TheBone
March 27th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I hate movies that make you get all choked up. The part at the end with the slow moving camera and music in the background builds everything up to an emotional climax when (spoiler happens). Well done and well planned out. *sniff sniff* :cry: :p We're giving it to my youngest daughter as part of her birfday this weekend.

Childbride
March 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
3 copies just came in from amazon yesterday.

one for us, one for part of my mom's bday, and one for part of Baby Girl's birthday...:)

Skip77
March 27th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Wow, this has turned out to be a good thread - enjoying all the comments - thanks folks! I picked up a copy of August Rush when it came out in Walmart, last Tue or the week before. One I never saw about guitar, Crossroads - can anyone comment on that one? Looked good in previews back when it was circulating.

luvmyshiner
March 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I'll be honest folks. This movie made me tear up more than I've teared up since "Field of Dreams".:cry:

By the way, CB doesn't understand Field of Dreams.:confused: COMEON . . . that was his Dad dude!!:cry:

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2008, 10:20 PM
You know when your eyes get all puffy and your throat hurts a little from choking it all back? Yeah, like that.

I loved Field of Dreams as well. There is the father/son story, a redemption aspect, a lot of things. I have to go rent that one again. I liked Seabiscuit too. Crossroads I saw a long time ago on HBO or something, and can't remember much about it. I wasn't playing guitar back then, so that part didn't grab me. I guess the movie itself didn't either, or I would remember more. i like movies. :beer:

Skip77
March 28th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Yeah Shiner... I hear you on Field of Dreams... just cut your heart out to see his father coming out of the corn and ask him to have a catch etc... very interesting that CB doesn't get it. I think it might be that boys bond to their father or father-figure differently than girls do. For us, our father or father-figure is a hero, mentor... friend... all kinds of things. I know that dad means all that to little girls too.

My dad died when I was two and so Field of Dreams tears me up because in a strange way, since I never got to have a catch with my dad etc... it gets me... the thought of him appearing like that... standing there getting to talk with him, have a catch.. well... would be magical for sure.

Good movies discussed in this thread!

Tone2TheBone
March 29th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Skip I totally can relate to you in regards to a lost dad. I too feel the same way during that part in the film....

Childbride
March 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM
wait, wait, wait.

i GET field of dreams, and the loss of my father... three years ago come april 4, was a crippling, hurtful, violent loss... we found out he had cancer on 4/1 and was gone three days later.

the problem was when i saw it. i don't remember what it was about the movie that put me off, now.

i am completely open minded to second takes on movies and will watch it again with shiner and see if it 'takes' this time.

as to august rush, we watched it again last night and i cried even harder than i did the first time. i'm getting ready to drive to meet my mom for a belated birthday party with just her and me, and i just wish i could be holding her hand when she watches it for the first time.

bigoldron
March 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Wow, this has turned out to be a good thread - enjoying all the comments - thanks folks! I picked up a copy of August Rush when it came out in Walmart, last Tue or the week before. One I never saw about guitar, Crossroads - can anyone comment on that one? Looked good in previews back when it was circulating.

Are you talking about the one starring Ralph Macchio, i.e. "the Karate Kid"? It's something of a moron movie, i.e. predictable plot, same crappy acting by Macchio (think Karate Kid), same mentor/student theme as KK.

BUT, there is some BODACIOUS picking in that movie. It's been a lot of years since I've seen it, but I remember there being some really good blues in there. But the best was the contest between the kid and Satan's head player (who I just recently found out was Steve Vai). It smoked!

To sum it all up, it, along with the Karate Kid and Karate Kid II, has simplistic, predictable plots, not-so-great acting (Macchio's quick-tempered meathead act gets old after a while), but, like a car-wreck on the highway, you have to watch it. It's mildly addictive... :whatever:

Spudman
March 29th, 2008, 02:12 PM
That was Ry Cooder and Steve Vai playing throughout the movie.

bigoldron
March 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM
That was Ry Cooder and Steve Vai playing throughout the movie.

That's right, I knew it was Ry Cooder (had forgotten it though), but, didn't realize that was Vai also. Musically, I thought it was a pretty cool movie. And, yes, if I had a chance, I'd watch it again...

Skip77
March 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Good stuff guys - and CB, you're way out of my doghouse on Field of Dreams.

Childbride
March 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Good stuff guys - and CB, you're way out of my doghouse on Field of Dreams.

:)

mom's totally stoked... she is flying home right now but promises to watch it tomorrow and give me her reviews. we had a really cool visit. :beer:

Skip77
March 31st, 2008, 01:08 PM
That's awesome CB - hope you will post your mom's review when it's in!

Childbride
March 31st, 2008, 08:53 PM
i promise. had to deal with a minor crisis with 'leather pants' gram tonight, but will get with mom and report back.

one of my three closest friends has asked to watch it, and i'm loaning it to her tomorrow with instructions to keep kleenex nearby. :)

Skip77
April 10th, 2008, 07:48 PM
CB - hope everything resolved well for you and leather pants gram.
Presuming the affirmative... ahem? Heard something about a "report back"?

Childbride
April 11th, 2008, 05:56 AM
no, i'm awaiting TWO now. Baby Girl should get her bday present today... so she will have her copy... mom has been wanting to watch it, but they keep calling her in to work on her days off, and so she has yet to report back.

so if they watch the movie between now and tomorrow mid-afternoon, i will report back... udderwise, it's going to be after we get back. ;) but i promise, as Your Faithful Reporter, to get the Scoop. :D

ted s
April 11th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I enjoyed the movie, it took me a bit to warm up to it though.

warren0728
May 11th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Inspiration by connection to living beings, and positive energy in the universe
very well put svl....i just watched it....a friend of mine brought it over to me today out of the blue....said he thought i would enjoy it....

i loved the idea that music can be found everywhere and as i watched it, it made me realize how much my kids mean to me (not that i ever forget that)....i couldn't even imagine knowing my son (or daughter) was out there and i couldn't find them....they will be getting a couple extra hugs from me when they come to my place after school tomorrow!

ww

Childbride
May 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
skip, i realized i had been remiss about reporting. i Promised, and i always deliver on a Promise.

mom loved it. BG not so much. she didn't find it 'believable' hence ruined it for her.

coming from the young woman who watched Stardust with me, i take that with a grain of salt. [giggle]

peachhead
July 6th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread but my wife and I just watched this over the weekend (I'm a bit behind - ahem), and I had to add our four thumbs up for this movie. I don't know the last time a movie had me on the edge of my seat like this one did, for the last 15 minutes. Very moving- it is on my top ten list, period, and not just for the music (which is great).
Thanks to all for pointing me to this excellent, excellent film!

FatCat
July 7th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I totally loved August Rush, great movie! I rented it, but will be buying a copy soon.

Gil Janus
July 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM
My youngest grandaughter (16) brought over her copy of August Rush for us to watch - great movie - loved the music. :master:

Very, very nicely done. :AOK:

Gil :cool: