PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Area '61 and EX-7 Tricks

marnold
March 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hey kids! All this talk about my EX-7 (which Robert really wants, even if he doesn't realize it yet), led me to make a couple of recordings with it using my Area '61 pickups in my Floyd. I set my EX-7 to amp/mixer mode so I could run the one output to my amp and the other to my soundcard with cab modeling. Even though my AD30VT colors the tone significantly, it's a much better monitor than my cheap Sony boombox speakers.

I set the EX-7 on the Whammy model with the wet/dry mix set all the way to dry so I could just use the distortion models. I put it in the "select distortion model" mode so I could flip through the models at will. Here's what I came up with:

This first clip is using the neck pickup only and the ProCo Rat model. The distortion level, tone, and gain were all at noon. I didn't much like the ProCo model until I got these pickups. Area '61 and ProCo (http://www.box.net/shared/zo0s0mrk0c)

The second clip is using the middle pickup only and the Boss Metal Zone model (insert maniacal laugh here). The level and tone remained at noon whilst I lowered the gain to 10:30 (aka the 1/3 mark on the pedal). At the end of this clip I prove that I've got a Floyd and I'm not afraid to use it. Or that I need medical attention. Either way. Area '61 and Boss Metal (http://www.box.net/shared/7qjwx2xw08)

The main point of this exercise is to try to show how great these pickups are with distortion. I'm not sure that the recording does them justice. Their clean tone is very nice, but the distorted tone is awesome. The original pickups would get lost in the mud in a hurry. No such problem with these. The fact that they are noiseless really becomes apparent when the gain goes up too.

Spudman
March 14th, 2008, 11:51 PM
They do sound good.:AOK:
Especially when they get twisted.:messedup:

Justaguyin_nc
March 15th, 2008, 01:37 AM
we have a very twisted preacher... I thought they had some great sounds in there Rev..