PDA

View Full Version : Rhythm Machine

ZMAN
March 15th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I know this is probably an antiquated term, with all the modelling and computerized tracks out there, but is there a reasonably priced (price of a decent pedal), machine for background rhythm tracks including Bass lines and drums that I could get to play along with.
I have always played along with my favourite blues artists, in a sort of "call and response" type of playing. I think I have progressed enough to apply my own style. I mainly play blues and jazz, and I don't play gigs.
I have a good cross section of guitars and amps so I am not looking for a modelling amp.
I am just starting my research into this type of thing and I don't want to hook it up to my computer. Something that I can set up a rhythms or even a set of back ground tracks for various speeds and keys.
If you can steer me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Spudman
March 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Check out this thread.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5906&highlight=drum+machine

I'm kind of partial to the Zoom 123 and 234. Also if you can find an old Yamaha QY10 or QY20 you can have 4 tracks of rhythm and a lot more for pretty cheap.

SuperSwede
March 15th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Boss JS-5 Jam Station... sounds good and it is _rather_ easy to program.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/JS-5/

ZMAN
March 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Hey SS: That sounds perfect. I am having trouble finding where to purchase one. Are they older issues.
Spud: I have a zoom 505,It is a pretty neat pedal, and I am looking for more of a rhythm section. with bass and drums and maybe some others. I have heard clips of the JS-5 but I can't find clips of the Zoom.

Spudman
March 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM
The Yamaha QYs are discontinued and you get a whole programmable sequencer in a box smaller than a VHS tape. You have 4 tracks for backing and can then add in other instruments as well. The 4 that you can choose which play at any time are: drums -bass - and 2 others that are either piano or guitar or what ever instrument you specify. You can run whichever track you want or all 4 together.

SuperSwede
March 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Hey SS: That sounds perfect. I am having trouble finding where to purchase one. Are they older issues.
Spud: I have a zoom 505,It is a pretty neat pedal, and I am looking for more of a rhythm section. with bass and drums and maybe some others. I have heard clips of the JS-5 but I can't find clips of the Zoom.

Its discontinued but you can probably find a used JS-5 on ebay...