PDA

View Full Version : Clean drop

tot_Ou_tard
March 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Hitting the preamp of a tube amp with a clean boost is an activity that I regularly engage in.

But, I also like to crank the amp & use my Timmy pedal as a "clean drop". That is, as a transparent volume lowering pedal. I only do that when the amp would be too loud otherwise. I find that I get a very rich clean sound that way. The tone is less colored by the preamp tube.

Does anybody else do this?

markb
March 16th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I used to use a graphic in front of a Fender Pro jr to clean up a Les Paul but that involved cutting the mids, so not really a transparent thing. It was quicker and easier than fitting coil taps!

tot_Ou_tard
March 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I used to use a graphic in front of a Fender Pro jr to clean up a Les Paul but that involved cutting the mids, so not really a transparent thing. It was quicker and easier than fitting coil taps!

Did it work well?

markb
March 16th, 2008, 09:35 PM
It was good enough in a band situation to thin out the Lester's tone and give an extra range of voices. The coil taps bit wasn't a joke, the guitar had Duncan 59's with two conductor wiring fitted and sounded great so I didn't want to hack it about any further. It saved carrying two guitars around as I had no car at that point and travelled by public transport a lot. Getting a bus is an option with a gig bag and a PJ.

tot_Ou_tard
March 17th, 2008, 07:13 AM
It was good enough in a band situation to thin out the Lester's tone and give an extra range of voices. The coil taps bit wasn't a joke, the guitar had Duncan 59's with two conductor wiring fitted and sounded great so I didn't want to hack it about any further. It saved carrying two guitars around as I had no car at that point and travelled by public transport a lot. Getting a bus is an option with a gig bag and a PJ.
Did you use a BOSS GE-7?

I tried one once & thought it sounded to hi-fi & bright even with all the faders set to neutral. My guess was that was the effect of the buffer. On the other hand, I use a Barber Launch Pad for a clean boost. It has a buffer & I have no problem with it.