PDA

View Full Version : Goofy Question #21,957

just strum
March 16th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I was talking to someone at work the other day about a subject here on the forum. While I was talking I realized that I refer to most here as a friend, although I have not met anyone face-to-face and only a few by phone. Yet, for the most part if I am referring to something said or something done by most of you, I would most likely start by saying "Oh, I have a friend that just bought a..."

I find that in an environment that has been developed at this forum, it is easy to refer to someone as a friend although most of us have never met.

Does anyone else find themselves doing the same thing?

warren0728
March 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
i have done the same thing strum...and have also had the pleasure of meeting a couple of fretters face-to-face....tim and iago. Had a great time with both of them. This is a cool community and i really wish there was some way to have a "get together" somewhere where more off us could meet.

Since we are an international bunch, realistically expecting everyone to get together in one location is out of the question but maybe state "get togethers" (i know there are a lot of us in florida) would be cool or even regional (multi-state) "get togethers" would be cool too....

ww

just strum
March 16th, 2008, 10:38 AM
The idea of a more localized get together would be great. I know some of our Texas fretters do that on occasion and I think that is great. They are able to do it without a whole lot of planning and disruption of schedules (more about that at a later date). Florida would be perfect for you, since as you pointed out there are a lot of fretters down there.

This is a good community, now if we just preserve some green space.;)

Tim
March 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I also refer to memebers of the Fret Net as friends. Community is nice, but Fret Net family has a nice tone to it also. As Warren stated, we are an international forum. Although we can not personally meet each other, a lot of us have web cams on our lap tops.

My son is going to Italy for a 3 year tour with the Navy. He is home visiting us befroe he departs on Friday. We are setting our lap tops to be able to contact each other via web cam and Windows Live. I do not know to much about all this, but we are experimenting here at the house.

Some Fretters could link up with other Fretters via Windows Live and web cams.

Sorry Warren, you can not broadcast while cooking pancakes! :pancake:

just strum
March 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Sorry Warren, you can not broadcast while cooking pancakes! :pancake:

While I was reading the part about web cam I started thinking that Warren was already in the planning stage.:rotflmao:

ted s
March 16th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I do the same thing as well.
Tim, a virtual meeting is a great idea !

BTW Strum, I expected cartoons here, I have yet to see anything about Goofy !?
http://www.testriffic.com/resultfiles/6497goofy.gif

Childbride
March 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM
o, heck yeah. you guys and gals are my friends. i actually integrate some of your 'handles' in my conversations with my family and colleagues. :D

and as a regular Pearljammer, i highly advocate meeting up with some of your local Fretters. we've personalized some wonderful friendships and shared some great music! :D :beer: :pancake:

Kodiak3D
March 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Why wouldn't I call everyone here friends? We have at least one common interest and get along well.

Of course you're friends!
(one of you is even family)

sunvalleylaw
March 16th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I feel I certainly have developed friendships here. Some more like "penpals" sort of, but more interactive. Some have developed into direct communication and even visits. Pretty cool! Thanks Robert and founding company!; and to all of you who participate in such a respectful, friendly, collegial way. :)

street music
March 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I would hope that we could remain friends even if we did get a chance to meet in person. I feel as though I already know several on here enough to sit down and have a nice big steak dinner with them, IF STRUM is buying?:rotflmao:

just strum
March 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I would hope that we could remain friends even if we did get a chance to meet in person. I feel as though I already know several on here enough to sit down and have a nice big steak dinner with them, IF STRUM is buying?:rotflmao:

Street,

If we have a regional some day, we're close enough that maybe I buy you that steak.

I have to remember to edit this in a few days.:D

tremoloman
March 18th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I consider everyone here friends... funny... this reminds me of 'The Breakfast Club' when Brian asks 'Are we friends now?' :)

I look forward to meeting Robert when he comes to race the Boston Marathon. If any of you are ever in the Boston area don't be afraid to give me a shout. :dude:

Jimi75
March 19th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I consider the people here as friends. The FRET is way more than just another pale internet forum. People take care here and I know it because I had especially one Fretter helping me through difficult kind of situations in life through pm-ing me and encouraging me with his words. Thanks again a million times for that, you know who you are! :master:

Regarding the meeting, I know another forum where people talk about my favourite movie. I only post once in half a year there, but the community is cool and they meet every year at the same place. People from all over the world gather there for three days and the people living near the meeting place help with organizing sleeping places!

I would love to meet you all for 2-3 days. We could stay in a holiday Inn or so and bring our acoustics with us, go bowling and talk.

Wouldn't that be great?

Robert
March 19th, 2008, 07:24 AM
We RAWK, I'd say! :)

Tremoloman, nice to you see on here again! We miss you around here you know. Looking forward to meeting with you in Bahstahn!

PAPPY
March 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Back in the days when I owned and hunted coonhounds, I met in person over two hundred folks that I fist met on the internet and now with the guitars the count has risen to somewhere between 250 and 300. What is really strange is that out of all those folks I have not met anyone that I didn't like and I'm kinda hard to please when it comes to friends. I think the main ingrediant is that we have something in common which makes conversation so easy and once that starts the rest comes easier.

If any of you get a chance to meet up in person please do so, you might make one more friend and that's something everyone needs more of whether we believe it or not. I first met Shiner and Childbride on the internet and after awhile invited them to partake in the festivities at Pearl, Tx. for the Bluegrass jamboree. They did so and it started a meeting of some wonderful folks from all over Texas that all play Washburn guitars, not exclusively but those guitars and the love of music are what started it. Of course you don't have to own a Washburn to join us if your ever in Texas the first Sat. of each month, just drop in at Pearl, Tx. and give us a shout.

sunvalleylaw
March 19th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I consider the people here as friends. The FRET is way more than just another pale internet forum. People take care here and I know it because I had especially one Fretter helping me through difficult kind of situations in life through pm-ing me and encouraging me with his words. Thanks again a million times for that, you know who you are! :master:

. . .

I would love to meet you all for 2-3 days. We could stay in a holiday Inn or so and bring our acoustics with us, go bowling and talk.

Wouldn't that be great?

It would be very fun! Summer in Banff some year sounds great! We have to wait til the American Peso recovers though. ;) For a US location, either a beach somewhere near an international airport, or Yellowstone sounds nice.

warren0728
March 19th, 2008, 08:02 AM
It would be very fun! Summer in Banff some year sounds great! We have to wait til the American Peso recovers though. ;)
banff would be great....i've been there once a long time ago....what beautiful country!

ww

Robert
March 19th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Deal! Come to Banff! Beautiful place! Only 5 hours from me.

Cal
March 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I would hope that we could remain friends even if we did get a chance to meet in person. I feel as though I already know several on here enough to sit down and have a nice big steak dinner with them, IF STRUM is buying?:rotflmao:Hey Street,
I'll buy the steaks (if you'll get my return ticket from the UK ;))!

And SHEESH I know Banff is in Scotland... our friendly host is really confusing me now! :thwap:

warren0728
March 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM
And SHEESH I know Banff is in Scotland... our friendly host is really confusing me now! :thwap:
naw...banff is in canada....alberta....in the rockies

here is the hotel i stayed at while i was there... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banff_Springs_Hotel)

ww

Cal
March 19th, 2008, 01:00 PM
naw...banff is in canada....OK Warren, I know that NOW... but the original Banff is in Scotland. :poke:

warren0728
March 19th, 2008, 01:05 PM
OK Warren, I know that NOW... but the original Banff is in Scotland. :poke:
i didn't know there was a banff in scotland....all i know about scotland is they make scotch! and that makes them ok in my book! :AOK:

ww

Cal
March 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM
i didn't know there was a banff in scotland....all i know about scotland is they make scotch! and that makes them ok in my book! :AOK: I'll drink to that! http://www.bartender.com/2fun/smiles/drinkpals.gif

warren0728
March 19th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I'll drink to that! http://www.bartender.com/2fun/smiles/drinkpals.gif
line em up bartender ---> \_/ \_/

ww :D

tot_Ou_tard
March 19th, 2008, 07:46 PM
naw...banff is in canada....alberta....in the rockies

here is the hotel i stayed at while i was there... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banff_Springs_Hotel)

ww Hey my Dad & I stayed there when when skied Lake Louise. I was a teenager. I was enthralled by Canadian money

COLORS!!!

& gravy with fries...yummm.

I came back to California with a subtle Canadian accent ...ie no ehs!

warren0728
March 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Hey my Dad & I stayed when when skied Lake Louise & gravy with fries...yummm.
yeah lake louise was beautiful too....and you can't go wrong with gravy with fries....they had a name for that combo but i can't remember what it was....

ww

just strum
March 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM
yeah lake louise was beautiful too....and you can't go wrong with gravy with fries....they had a name for that combo but i can't remember what it was....

ww

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

tot_Ou_tard
March 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
Naw, poutine has cheese curds in it as well. It's a Quebecois thang.

just strum
March 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Naw, poutine has cheese curds in it as well. It's a Quebecois thang.

Maybe it's poutine, hold the cheese curds.

peachhead
March 26th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Maybe it's poutine, hold the cheese curds.

is an Ontarioan (?) thing too... I still miss those damn curds from my visits up there. <squeak squeak> yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
and I'll have a large double double with an everything bagle, please :D

tot_Ou_tard
March 27th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I still miss those damn curds from my visits up there. <squeak squeak>
:bravo: :rotflmao: <squeak squeak> :rotflmao: :bravo: