PDA

View Full Version : Happy Saint Patrick's Day...

Algonquin
March 17th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Happy Saint Patrick's Day Fretters!

Feel free to post your favourite Irish quotes if you have any...

'May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead.'

Cheers :beer: for green beers!

R_of_G
March 17th, 2008, 05:25 AM
i don't know any good irish quotes [prob bc i am not irish] but nonetheless,

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY TO MY FRET FRIENDS!!!!!!

Bloozcat
March 17th, 2008, 06:35 AM
“May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.”

Algonquin
March 17th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Good one BC!

Not a quote, but here's a little Saint Patricks Day Video...
TJ4ZlyVivD0

just strum
March 17th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I'm part Irish, but don't know any Irish quotes except the one my Grandfather use to say "Hey, why don't you run in the kitchen and get me another beer"

Happy Saint Pat's Day everyone.

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Happy St. Patricks! Enjoy the wearin' O' the Green! Though I am mostly Norwegian, I do have ancestry from Tipperary. (and England and Wales, and . . .) :D (obligatory green smiley)

fZ0Iq9wvEDs&feature=related

tot_Ou_tard
March 17th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I'm part Irish but I refuse the wearin' O' the Green. I think it stems from childhood when you'd get pinched for not wearing green.

Just try & pinch me ..... ;)

I will be drinkin' Guinness this evening, however.

May even make Corned Beef & Cabbage.

Robert
March 17th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Happy S P Day! Don't get too hammered now.

Spudman
March 17th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Happy day!
"May you live as long as you want to - and want to as long as you live."

luvmyshiner
March 17th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I will be drinkin' Guinness this evening, however.

May even make Corned Beef & Cabbage.

Supper at Tot's house after work y'all!:beer:

Happy Saint Pat's day everyone.

Justaguyin_nc
March 17th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Happy Green Day

byhkFe6AcNs

Brian Krashpad
March 17th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Erin go bragh! Slainte!

And by the way, the Irish will MAKE you Irish if you gab with 'em enough.

An elderly lady, in all seriousness, told me I was certainly Irish, as there were some "Kroojers" (her pronunciation) in the next town over.

My last name is "Kruger." And yes, she'd not only heard me pronounce it, she'd seen it spelt.

Admittedly, I was told this within spitting distance of Blarney Castle, but this lady was dead serious.

:D

Algonquin
March 17th, 2008, 08:40 AM
May the light always find you on a dreary day.

When you need to be home, may you find your way.

May you always have courage to take a chance

And never find frogs in your underpants. :D

oldguy
March 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Happy ST. PAT's day to all the family here.
I don't know alot of Irish sayings.....
"They're after me lucky charms!"

Oh, and that one from "The Quiet Man"........

"Here's a nice stick to hit the lady with" ........something like that. :rotflmao:

Ro3b
March 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
"There's no bad publicity except an obituary." (Brendan Behan)

It's the most lucrative time of the year for playing traditional Irish music. (Which is why we wear green, right?) Last week we played a couple of parties, a Guinness promotional event for congressional staff, and an office party at the Pentagon. Tonight we're playing for the party at the Irish Embassy; we're apparently kind of their house band. :D

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Office party at the Pentagon? Irish Embassy? Wow! Those sound like some great gigs. Have fun!

Brian Krashpad
March 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM
"There's no bad publicity except an obituary." (Brendan Behan)

It's the most lucrative time of the year for playing traditional Irish music. (Which is why we wear green, right?) Last week we played a couple of parties, a Guinness promotional event for congressional staff, and an office party at the Pentagon. Tonight we're playing for the party at the Irish Embassy; we're apparently kind of their house band. :D

Wow, that's quite an accolade to play Irish music at their embassy! Congrats!

My punk band used to do an amped-up punkabilly version of "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling," with alternate lyrics about the Troubles. I was a little hesitant to play it at our local family-run Irish bar given the political nature of the additional lyrics, but the head of the clan that ran the place loved it and actually used to request it.

As I'm no great shakes as a singer, I was really proud it was accepted that well.

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Here is an Irish blessing song I like. Sounds like a musical version of some nice old Irish ladie's needlepoint. Go to this link and click on "The Blessing"

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=29731696

Sweet sounding little guitar solo too!

Or here and click on "Get to Heaven"

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6097224

duhvoodooman
March 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Happy SPD!!

I'm 25% Irish (my dad's mom's name was Annie McGuire--Irish enough for ya?). But I can't stand Irish music....with the exception of Rory Gallagher!

Anyway, a good Irish joke seems in order today:

Brenda O'Malley is home making dinner, as usual, when Tim Finnegan arrives at her door.

"Brenda, may I come in?" he asks. "I've somethin' to tell ya."

"Of course you can come in, you're always welcome, Tim. But where's my husband?"

"That's what I'm here to be tellin' ya, Brenda. There was an accident down at the Guinness brewery..."

"Oh, God no!" cries Brenda. "Please don't tell me..."

"I must, Brenda. Your husband Shamus is dead and gone. I'm sorry."

Finally, she looked up at Tim. "How did it happen, Tim?"

"It was terrible, Brenda. He fell into a vat of Guinness Stout and drowned."

"Oh my dear Jesus! But you must tell me true, Tim. Did he at least go quickly?"

"Well, no Brenda...no. Fact is, he got out three times to pee."

sumitomo
March 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Happy Saint Pattys Day, Do you know what they call a sober Irishman? A Saint. Sumi

Adrian30
March 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!
-Jgma--0WYU

Spudman
March 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Three construction workers are on the seventy-fifth floor of a non-finished building. The Italian opens his lunch box to find a pizza and says "Man, if I get pizza one more time I am going to jump off this building and fall to my death!" The Chinese opens his lunch box to find rice and says "Man, if I get rice one more time I am going to jump off this building and fall to my death!" The Irishman opens his lunch box to find a corned beef sandwich and says" Man, if I get a corned beef sandwich one more time I'm going to jump off this building and end it all!" I can't take n'more.

So the next day they all got the same thing and they jumped off the building to their death. That weekend at the funeral, the Italian and the Chinese wives are crying and saying "I would have fixed him something else for lunch but he never told me." And as the two wives stare at the Irishman's wife, they both ask why she isn't sad about her husband's death, the Irishman's wife replies "Don't look at me, he packs his own lunch."

Cal
March 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Well I've spent a LONG time in Civil Engineering in the UK and overseas. A lot of that was with "George Wimpey Department One" aka WIMPEY Civil Engineering (and of course anyone from "old time" civils in the UK knows that WIMPEY stands for "We Import More Paddys Every Year").

So just to celebrate in a "Blue Grass" sort of way...
Here's Alison Krauss and the Cheiftains :D :
xOpY0wQdJ5w

I love the way Alison puts that song over. Nothing like the "Civils" songs I know, e.g. "Down the glen came Balfour's* men, Just like Ballet Dancers, one in nine had served his time, the rest were F^><ing Chancers."

* short for "Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering."

Brian Krashpad
March 17th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Nothing like the "Civils" songs I know, e.g. "Down the glen came Balfour's* men, Just like Ballet Dancers, one in nine had served his time, the rest were F^><ing Chancers."

* short for "Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering."

Wait, yer tellin' me that they've a whole subgenre o' music about f*cking ENGINEERS?

Faith and begorrah!

PS-- no offense to engineers intended, me da is an electrical engineer himself

Cal
March 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Wait, yer tellin' me that they've a whole subgenre o' music about f*cking ENGINEERS?Naaaaw, engineers seldom get a mention. It's mainly Labradors (laborers), Ganger Men and General Foremen (Works Superintendents). ;)

Brian Krashpad
March 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Naaaaw, engineers seldom get a mention. It's mainly Labradors (laborers), Ganger Men and General Foremen (Works Superintendents). ;)

Ah, what we in the States would lump together as various and sundry "construction workers."

Dat makes more sense.

warren0728
March 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM
being part irish i offer you....

“bless your little irish heart and every other irish part.”

raising a glass of irish whiskey instead of scotch (one night only) \_/

ww

Childbride
March 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Happy St. Patrick's Day! :D

Germans will look for any good excuse to drink some beer! :D :D :D :beer:

Brian Krashpad
March 17th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Happy St. Patrick's Day! :D

Haha, ja, zier gut!

marnold
March 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Since I couldn't be any more German and still have my blood clot, I would agree with this sentiment. It just so happens that my wife bought some Guinness at the store on Friday. That's not a St. Patty's thing, we tend to have some form of Stout around at all times. I've got the fixin's for a batch of homebrew Stout but I haven't had the time to whip it up.

However, offer me some corned beef and I may just barf in your face, regardless of how much Stout I've had. I don't much care for cabbage unless it's raw, slawed, or turned into sauerkraut.

just strum
March 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM
However, offer me some corned beef and I may just barf in your face, regardless of how much Stout I've had. I don't much care for cabbage unless it's raw, slawed, or turned into sauerkraut.

ahhh yes, I think I'll go have dinner now:puke:

Childbride
March 17th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I don't much care for cabbage unless it's raw, slawed, or turned into sauerkraut.

:drool:

ooohhhh... nummy. sauerkraut. dangit, now i have to put some bratwurst on the shopping list and get shiner to make his awesome schnitzel... :D :beer:

Brian Krashpad
March 17th, 2008, 07:24 PM
ahhh yes, I think I'll go have dinner now:puke:

Haha, I spent a blissful week in southwest Ireland almost 15 years ago, entirely unmolested by corned beef or cabbage.

The soda bread is excellent. And forget about a "Continental breakfast." An Irish breakfast is like an American farm breakfast: eggs, sausage, breads, coffeee or tea, milk.

Irish cuisine is beginning to come into it's own I think, like British, but even moreso. Wonderful seafood.

tot_Ou_tard
March 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Happy S P Day! Don't get too hammered now.
Which definition of hammered be you usin' O'Robert?

US?
Canadian?
Irish?
Swedish?

Or perhaps Russian?

I was drinking beer with a coupl'a Russians many moons ago & begged off another drink as I had to drive.

One of them says:

"Drink?" We haven't *started* drinking yet, that's not a drink that's beer.

Childbride
March 17th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Which definition of hammered be you usin' O'Robert?

US?
Canadian?
Irish?
Swedish?

Or perhaps Russian?

you left out texan... :rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
March 17th, 2008, 08:19 PM
you left out texan... :rotflmao:
It's important to do that on occasion :D .