PDA

View Full Version : Set up a Strat

Kazz
March 17th, 2008, 05:09 AM
2 parter here.

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to properly set up a strat. I would probably like to see how to set it up with a floating bridge and then with the wood block in the back of the guitar to kill the trem all together ala Eric Clapton.

The screws that hold the claw end to the body of the guitar are the supposed to be screwed all the way into the body?

The reason I am asking is my 16 year old son brought his Johnson Strat copy over this weekend and I put new strings on it for him Saturday night....before I got down to the pool table to work on it for him, he had most of it completely apart. Apparently he has had it completely apart several times and has also lost some parts so I am on a mission.

He has 3 of the 6 saddles that do not have the tension springs behind them so I am looking to purchase 3 springs or if any of you have any spares I would really appreciate them. He will be back for another visit in 2 weeks and I told him we would try and get it fixed up right then.

He only has 2 of the 6 screws that hold the trem cavity cover on so again if any of you have any spares that would be cool too...or can I just use any seriously small wood screws for that?

Backstory is he got this guitar from a pawn shop....it has a transparent wine red finish and altho he has not taken very good care of it...it is a really sexy finish.

When we can finish this thing off right, I will photodocument the project and of course share it here.

The boy can really play....he made his dad very proud...but we have to get this thing back together the right way and hopefully teach him a little about taking better care of his gear.

Spudman
March 17th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Check this out. http://members.tripod.com/~AFH/Tips.html

For the parts I suggest checking with a music store in your area.

stingx
March 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
The Fender website has all you need:

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php

Kazz
March 18th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Spud and Sting...I already read both of those sites...I was hoping for something with pictures especially of the bridge on the playing side and in the trem cavity so I can see the proper way to put it all back together.

stingx
March 18th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Go to your local bookstore (or order online) and BUY THIS:

How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great by Dan Erlewine.

Best investment you could make.

wingsdad
March 18th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Besides that Erlewine book that stingx recommends, find this one. It's comprehensive covering setups and mods for the most common Strats, from vintage to moderen to Mexican to Squiers. It has a section w/photos & step-by-step instructions on how to convert from trem system to hardtail.
The Fender Stratocaster Handbook (http://www.voyageurpress.com/Store/ProductDetails_36361.ncm)

marnold
March 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I bought this DVD (http://www.metalmethod.com/guitar-repair.htm) and found it to be extremely helpful.

mrmudcat
March 18th, 2008, 12:07 PM
+1 great dvd

Kazz I cant find any of those springs but tell me how many and what color screws(black, gold, silver) for covers/pickgaurd:AOK:

Kazz
March 19th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Muddy....the cover screws are just plain silver and he is missing 4 of the 6.

I am not so sure that part of this guitar was not jacked up when he got it....the output jack has a nut on it that does not look like it was made for the guitar...it looks pretty rough.....to be honest I wish I could buy him a new one...but there just is not enough fundage in the account to cover his gas as well as mine LMAO.

The body of the guitar itself is not in too bad of condition...there is one nick in the wood that is kind of deep other than that the body is really nice looking....the transparent finish is really sexy.....You can tell it is a really cheap copy as the nut is a plastic insert that fits into a groove in the neck instead of being glued or inserted at the top of the neck like most nice guitars.

I need for him to learn a few lessons on how to properly take care of his gear before I can commit to buying him anything new. I will hook him up with some pedals that I am not using...and for his birthday in June I am trying to save enough to buy him the VOX AD15 that he has his eyes on.

Could have had one over the weekend for 100 bucks.....just was not the right time. If karma is good it will be there in a few weeks when the tax return is deposited.

The kid plays really good....especially considering how poor condition his guitars are in.....I let him play my Parkwood and Les Paul over the weekend and I think it sunk in a little how nicer equipment plays....the action on his acoustic you could drive a small truck under....but he plays it and does not complain....so I have to look for an article on how to lower the action on an acoustic....probably by removing material from the backside of the bridge.

He is a project in the works....but one that should be a fun ride.

tremoloman
March 19th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Here's how I keep all my Strats in tip-top shape.

Set bridge to float 1/8th from the body - This seems to be the best setting for me to keep suning stability and to have a consistant tone.
Lubricate string friction points - When restringing my guitar, I run a drop of 3-in-1 oil or dab of Chap Stick on my fingertips and rub it along the string where it will rub along anything (tremolo block, saddle, nut, string tree). This provides lubrication where friction occurs, greatly reducing chances of string breakage in addition to allowing the string to return to its original position when a bend or tremolo is used.
Lubricate bridge - Lubricate the 2-point trem pivot points and/or with a dab of 3-in-1 weight oil to make it friction free
Lubricate nut - I use either pencil lead or the above mentioed items to lube the nut. Switching to a high quality nut makes all the difference in the world when keeping a Strat in tune if your a whammy bar user such as I.
Use steel wool to clean up frets - Use .0000 Steel wool to rub across the frets to restore them to a mirror finish and restore their initial shine. Its amazing what a difference this can make!I'm no expert but I do this on all my guitars and everyone who plays them tells me they love how they feel and sound. I hope this helps! :AOK:

-trem

markb
March 19th, 2008, 02:58 PM
<snip>
Use steel wool to clean up frets - Use .0000 Steel wool to rub across the frets to restore them to a mirror finish and restore their initial shine. Its amazing what a difference this can make![/LIST]I'm no expert but I do this on all my guitars and everyone who plays them tells me they love how they feel and sound. I hope this helps! :AOK:

-trem

Remember to tape over the pickups if using steel wool. The magnets will pick up any stray bits or filings which can cause internal shorts in the windings in time.

For no expert, your advice is spot on in my experience :AOK: .

Kazz
March 24th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I emailed Stew Mac and Guitar Parts Resources to see about ordering the saddle springs...hopefully I will get a good response :-)

Squireman131
April 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
im new and just started playing a kinda good guitar 2 weeks ago but before i did anything with it i found a set of amazing vids on setting up a strat. i just googled "setting up a strat" and a guy came up with about 7 or 8 vids on purely setting up a stratocaster. it helped me and i got my squier sounding better and its alot easier to play. i also went to the fender site and it had some stuff on how to too.