PDA

View Full Version : Michael Franti - Spearhead

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2008, 05:08 PM
These guys played here this weekend as part of the big 48 Straight ski races and mountain party. They are a diverse sounding band that I am coming to like. The lyrics are thought provoking and intelligent. They are passed over by radio, etc., but thought a few here might like to check it out.

Anyway, here are a couple of clips. Each has a different sound.

Reggae against war.
iSeuLsNV4CA&feature=related

Soulvibe.
Ob8Ob6UvAZQ&feature=related

realistic but positive message here.
xKVYHE98lKY&feature=related

Spudman
March 17th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Cool stuff. Are these guy the official band for the Jeep Ski Series?

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Here is a link to the series, which is the descendant of the Honda Ski Tour last year. http://www.jeepsports.com/ It has some cool photos and vids, and the featured vid right now opens with a brief interview with my right hand man ski coach, Jan. He skied in the tour ski cross event.

In answer to your question, I think not. The same promoters are involved, with a new sponsor, but I don't think Franti can be described as the official band. (His views as expressed in his music would not seem to be the same as the corporate sponsor. ;-)) He has been a regular headliner this year, from a brief look at some of the other stops' schedules. Last year, he played, but was not the headliner. That honor went to the Wailers last year.

hubberjub
March 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I met Michael Franti at Grassroots Music Fest last year. Spearhead is a great band. They put on a good show and have a very positive message. Too bad more modern bands aren't the same way.

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Hey that's cool! Yes, the band, and Franti do have a positive message. He took time to speak locally while he was here. Some clips here. (including a 5 song acoustic set!!!)

http://sunvalleyonline.com/news/article.asp?ID_Article=4842

Part of the 48 Straight (stands for 48 straight hours of entertainment between snowsports and music, etc.) was a "Green your Scene" series to spread awareness of ways to do just that. He helped out.

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Here is a 5 song acoustic set Michael did at a talk about living more green that he participated in. Here it is free!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2521548442440918716&hl=en

The guitarist performing with him, Jay Bowman, rips off a really nice acoustic solo in the first song. You acoustic guys might really like this, though you need to listen to a little story telling along the way. But the pics and description of that Pearl, TX event make me think you don't mind that too much. ;) :AOK:

R_of_G
March 20th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Steve, have you heard Franti's 1992 project "The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy"? This is where I first became aware of Franti. It is a GREAT hip hop album with live music from 8-string wonder Charlie Hunter throughout, and lyrics that could only come from Mr. Franti. It's different than Spearhead or his acoustic stuff, but much more powerful in my opinion. Check it out if you get a chance.

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Steve, have you heard Franti's 1992 project "The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy"? This is where I first became aware of Franti. It is a GREAT hip hop album with live music from 8-string wonder Charlie Hunter throughout, and lyrics that could only come from Mr. Franti. It's different than Spearhead or his acoustic stuff, but much more powerful in my opinion. Check it out if you get a chance.

I have not yet. I was first aware of him only last year, and basically forgot about him until last weekend. I bought some of the more recent stuff from iTunes the other night, and plan to work my way back into his catalog a little. Thanks for the heads up. I have not been able to get into much hip hop at all, and this may be a way for me to warm up to it. :D

hubberjub
March 20th, 2008, 05:09 PM
If I do remember correctly Charlie Hunter is just playing bass on that album. I'm pretty sure I read that recently.

R_of_G
March 21st, 2008, 07:20 AM
If I do remember correctly Charlie Hunter is just playing bass on that album. I'm pretty sure I read that recently.

you remember incorrectly. according to the liner notes that are in my hand right now, charlie plays both guitar and bass on this album.

hubberjub
March 21st, 2008, 07:24 AM
I stand corrected.

R_of_G
March 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM
Hubberjub - hey, at least you know the album, so +1 for that.:AOK:

i was fairly confident he played both bc my fav song on the album, "Music and Politics," is pretty much just Franti's voice and Charlie playing guitar. but i checked the cd and he plays guitar on several tracks, and bass on just about all of them.

either way, it's a fav album of mine as far as franti goes, and a chance to hear charlie in a different context, which is always fun.

hubberjub
March 21st, 2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah you're right. I looked it up. An article in Relix magazine has Charlie listed as just playing bass on the album. I googled it and he definitely played the guitar too. I'm a big fan of both Charlie and Michaels. Both offer refreshing perspectives on genres that are often generic sounding anymore.

R_of_G
March 21st, 2008, 09:09 AM
and in the case of charlie, one of the nicest people you could ever meet. of course, i've never had the opp to meet franti, but i suspect he would be as cool as charlie was. getting to hear them together on one album makes for some pretty powerful songs. songs that stand up to the test of time despite being written almost 17 years ago at this point, something a lot of songs with social commentary do not do well. it's a testimony to both franti's genius as a song writer, and to some extent, society's failure to get the message.