PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul models

Fretbuzz
March 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I'm sure this one has been answered here before but I've only been here for a week, so I apologize.
How many models of the Les Paul are there? I've seen the Studio, Standard, Junior, the 100, to name a few. How do they line up in quality from beginner (least expensive) to top of the line?
Would there be one that someone into the blues/classic rock would prefer?

ZMAN
March 18th, 2008, 02:48 PM
There are the Classic and the Custom. Also the Supreme. Various types of pickups throughout. Most people like the standard, because of the Burstbuckers. They are more like the vintage pickups that came in the original Les Pauls. Some come with the 57 Classics that are also a vintage tone.
The Classic has open coil Humbuckers and are the pickups are a litlle hotter in output.
All of them can be used for Blues or Classic rock. There are various color combos depending on model. You can also get the VOS series of guitars that are made to vintage specifications. They are through the custom shop.
I would go to Gibson.com and surf the various guitars. It is very informative and you get a better feel for the models.

Brian Krashpad
March 19th, 2008, 07:24 AM
There's TONS of Les Paul models, and they're changing all the time.

The basic Gibson models, roughly from lower-priced to higher, are: LP Junior, LP Special, LP Studio, LP Classic, LP Standard, and LP Custom.

Juniors and Specials typically (though not always) have P-90 pickups. Juniors have 1 pickup, Specials have 2. They are flat-top mahogany guitars with no maple cap, and have come in both singlecut and doublecut designs over the years.

The Studio is the more affordable of the designs with a maple cap and humbuckers, it doesn't have body binding like the higher-priced models do. The LP Classic and Standard are pretty similar except the Classic has hotter pickups and aged inlays. With the Classic you get a slim 60's neck, with the Standard you can choose slim '60's or chunky 50's neck.

The LP Custom has more binding and a large headstock inlay. Although it is an archtop, it is all-mahogany.

There are LOTS more models, but those are the basic most famous ones.

Algonquin
March 19th, 2008, 07:56 AM
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/lespaul/

You can read up on their current lineup here. The LP Studio is a very good value for a Gibson.
Cheers :beer:

Fretbuzz
March 20th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Thanks, the Gibson website lays it out there very well.

player
March 20th, 2008, 08:48 AM
only one I did not see in the Gibson link was found in this one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=512591
while not big on Epi's by all accounts read it rocks like its cousin who by the way Gibson owns.check out the reviews they're pretty right on.
the Dot being the exception to the Epi line.the 400 is not bad either IMO
both priced right.not sure zzounds has the same deal or would point you there.

Fretbuzz
March 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I have been playing my son's Squier Strat, but really would like my own LP. The $ won't let me go for a Gibson, so I've been checking out the
Epi's. I assumed the models would be similiar between Gibson/Epi. Looks like there are a few exceptions.
I've also been considering building one, after I read another thread here I'm kind of excited to try it. I have all of the woodworking tools, but I need to do alot of research into components. I don't know a whole lot about the differences in pickups and the other hardware.

Brian Krashpad
March 20th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I have been playing my son's Squier Strat, but really would like my own LP. The $ won't let me go for a Gibson, so I've been checking out the
Epi's. I assumed the models would be similiar between Gibson/Epi. Looks like there are a few exceptions.
I've also been considering building one, after I read another thread here I'm kind of excited to try it. I have all of the woodworking tools, but I need to do alot of research into components. I don't know a whole lot about the differences in pickups and the other hardware.

Between Epi and Gibson they share the same general framework of both having variation on LP Jrs/Specials, Studios, Standards, and Customs. But yea, there are lots of variations.

I'm not talented enough to ever do a build if it actually required woodworking as opposed to assembling, and have never attempted to do so.

That being said, a Gibson-style guitar is not a good choice for a home project unless you're very skilled, on the one hand, or are going to make a bolt-neck version, on the other.

If the latter, I've never really seen the point of making a bolt-neck Gibby clone. The setneck is an inherent part of what makes Gibsons different from Fenders. I'd just as soon get an Epi, or another Asian clone (Tokai, Edwards, etc.) with a setneck.

It may be that you're skilled enough to make a setneck. If so just disregard my ramblings. ;)

Fretbuzz
March 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I assumed the Gibson had a bolt on neck, I haven't really done much research yet. Just brainstorming.
Maybe I should just spend that time practicing!
Thanks

Brian Krashpad
March 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I assumed the Gibson had a bolt on neck, I haven't really done much research yet. Just brainstorming.
Maybe I should just spend that time practicing!
Thanks

No worries.

A few of the guitars at the bottom of the Epiphone line are bolt-ons, and over the years Gibson has a few times experimented with bolt-on models that were generally not well-received. But the general rule is that the vast majority of Epi/Gibby guitars are setnecks, and certainly all the "proper" Les Pauls.

You don't need to spend all your time practicing ya know-- cool to consider modding, building, etc. :AOK: