PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Player vs. Guitar World

marnold
March 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM
For those of you who subscribe to either or both magazines, I have a question. How does Guitar Player compare to Guitar World? A number of years ago I subscribed to GW. I kind of got fed up with it and switched to GuitarOne which I loved until they killed it. My remaining subscription got handed over to GW which I've been receiving since. My complaint remains the same: too much fluff. It seems geared for a demographic about 20 years younger than I. Is Guitar Player better in that regard? I bought the issue with George Lynch in it that Robert pointed out to me and enjoyed it. I got a cheapy subscription flier for GP in the mail and was considering taking them up on it.

I also subscribe to Premier Guitar which I like tremendously. It seems more "age appropriate" to me. My only problem with them is that it seems that the majority of the gear they review is boutique-caliber stuff that I'll never be able to afford in several lifetimes.

Thoughts?

player
March 18th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Not into the boutique stuff either.did the one you dislike have better or more gear in it that did appeal to you?

scgmhawk
March 18th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I get both GW and GP. I like them both. I agree that GW is definitely geared more towards metal and a young demographic but I like their tabs and lessons. GP is different in that it covers a variety of genres (jazz, blues, rock, etc). I actually just got their $12 subscription offer in the mail and sent it in. Beats paying $6.50 at the newsstand! I think it's a really good mag, and for $12 you can't go wrong.

FYI -- I also signed up for a free 1 year subscription to Premier Guitar (thanks to hearing about it on this forum). I'm not familiar with the mag but you can't beat the price.

hubberjub
March 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Guitar World always struck me as the guitar industry's version of Tiger Beat. If I needed help figuring out what was cool to wear on stage I'd go for GW. Guitar Player just has so much more variety, and though their reviews tend to be more toward the high end instruments they seem much more critical of the gear. I'm sure they aren't telling the whole story because they don't want to lose advertisers but they are better than the GW reviews which are very similar to the reviews in the Musicians Friend catalogs. Besides, most of the gear "reviewed" in GW is very common and can be found at most guitar stores, but it's not always easy to find a store that has Alembic guitars and Cornford amplifiers for example.

Robert
March 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Go with Guitar Player. You'll probably enjoy it more. I think the mag has improved over the last year or so. Better reviews, better interviews. One that bugs me is that the repeatedly review 4-5000 + dollar guitars. Like anyone can afford those. :whatever: Otherwise it's a great mag.

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
GP is the first and only guitar mag I have subscribed to. I like the variety, and it has more tips and lessons than I really have time to pursue. But I am collecting them so I can go back and try. :) I got in on the killer deal Spud found for us a year or so ago. Since that time, they have reviewed some really expensive stuff, but have also done an issue reviewing a bunch of less expensive guitars. I also like the "ebay find" column, where the author describes something he bought on ebay. In short, I like it.

marnold
March 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Not into the boutique stuff either.did the one you dislike have better or more gear in it that did appeal to you?
Yeah, Guitar World did seem to have more reviews of things that the average person might be able to own. Almost everything they review they give an "award" though. I like that GW took the instructional columns from G1, but I thought the ones in G1 were better. The other big thing in GW's favor as scgmhawk said is the tabs. Unfortunately, I'll have about one song per every other issue that I'd want to learn. Well, I'd like to learn "Through the Fire and Flames" from the current issue, but it'd take me until 2075 to learn it. The "Tiger Beat" thing is close to what I was referring to too.

Spudman
March 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I used to read both GP and GW and G1 too. For a while GP lost my interest and I quit reading any of them all together. Then GP got back to what they used to be in the 70s and early 80s which I can totally relate to. Quality interviews and articles. They made a significant improvement. They leave all the other mags in the dust in my opinion. So now I only read Guitar Player.

birv2
March 18th, 2008, 03:43 PM
+1 for Guitar Player. I had a subscription to G1 and then started getting GW when that died. GP is definitely aimed at a "more mature" demographic, but I fit in that category so that works for me.

I read everything and feel I can learn stuff even reading about death metal bands, though that's not my taste in music. I do agree about the reviews of those mucho expensive guitars in GP -- maybe they think us "mature" people have more money! :rotflmao:

Though they did have the sub-$50 mfx shootout in one of the summer issues.

I have the digital subscription to Premier Guitar and have been enjoying that.
They seem to do a lot with mods and how gear works, which I really enjoy, since they're not trying to sell anything.

Bob

just strum
March 18th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I only get GP, but I ditto everything SVL has already noted.

player
March 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
GP is the first and only guitar mag I have subscribed to. I like the variety, and it has more tips and lessons than I really have time to pursue. But I am collecting them so I can go back and try. :) I got in on the killer deal Spud found for us a year or so ago. Since that time, they have reviewed some really expensive stuff, but have also done an issue reviewing a bunch of less expensive guitars. I also like the "ebay find" column, where the author describes something he bought on ebay. In short, I like it.
sounds like from the popular vote GP gets it then don't it?
why change a good thing especially if you like it already.
my opinion milage may vary

tot_Ou_tard
March 18th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I have a subscription to GP

(thanks goes again to Spud for alerting us to that great deal)

But I've read several copies of GW. Guitar Player is a much, much better magazine. Deeper & with more breadth.

wingsdad
March 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I subscribed to GP waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when it started in the 70's. I don't subscribe now to it, but seem to pick it up at stupid newstand prices almost every month. It's still very much like it was 30 years ago. I might even subscribe again.

I really liked G1, didn't subscribe, but picked up the issues that ween't laden in metal & have a bunch of the cd's tht came with it b4 they killed it. GW, same thing. I agree, it's aimed at younger demo. Still, I just picked up the latest '300th Issue' that hit the stands, with cd/video. But I'd never subscribe. It stinks they killed GW Acoustic, too...I liked that even more, and more than Acoustic Guitar mag, because that tends to be 'boutiqueish' (?) and too high-brow for me.

Any of the gear reviews in these mags are for 'perspective'; they're basically 'paid for' by the advertisers. Take them with a grain of salt.

scgmhawk
March 19th, 2008, 05:50 AM
My first issue of Premier Guitar arrived yesterday. If you go to their website, you can get 1 year FREE. I read a little and it seems to be pretty good, and definitely seems to delve into the tech side way more than the others which I want to learn about.

Big K
March 19th, 2008, 08:15 AM
currently subscribe to Guitar Player & Vintage Guitar....

bigoldron
March 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
I agree with the "Tiger Beat" analogy of GW. It does have some good tabs, but I do like to read about something besides metal. GP has enough metal to satisfy any 'head, but also covers all other genres. I thought it was a radical step to have Brad Paisley as the cover article, but upon reading about him, he's as big a gearhead as there is.

They've recently featured John Fogerty and Allan Holdsworth as cover stories, which I really enjoyed. And, I also enjoy the Ebay bargain hunter article. Yeah, they do tend to do most of their equipment reviews on high end stuff, but, hey, it never hurts to dream. I guess I'll have to start saving up for one of those $25,000 EVH Frankenstein's. ;)

Hey, for $12, you can't beat the subscription price. :AOK:

deeaa
June 3rd, 2011, 04:59 AM
GP is the first and only guitar mag I have subscribed to. I like the variety, and it has more tips and lessons than I really have time to pursue. But I am collecting them so I can go back and try. :)

You know, this made me giggle to myself...I have like a dozen or so GP's lying around here, I suppose I have saved them because they each had a nice lesson or tab on them. But, in 25 years or so I think I can still easily count with my fingers the exercises or tabs I actually did from any magazine...still I keep them round just in case I sometimes would actually try one :-)

Tig
June 3rd, 2011, 07:05 AM
Cool thread resurrection.

GW is still flashy. The best thing they do are the gear review videos, but those are available online. GP is more about and for real working players.

Premier Guitar has become the best overall. They still review the high priced gear, but now most reviews are of more accessibly priced gear.

Eric
June 3rd, 2011, 07:56 AM
Hmm. This thread has made me consider getting a subscription, something I never thought I would do. Anyone have any good places to find a good price on a subscription to Premier Guitar or Guitar Player?

Brian Krashpad
June 3rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
GP is definitely aimed at a broader, arguably older market. GW is definitely for a younger more metal/hard rock market. I was a GP subscriber for a few years after I asked for a subscription for a Christmas present, but let it expire after awhile. I currently have a GW subscription that I won in an online contest. It's fun to read but not something I'd pay for.

bcdon
June 3rd, 2011, 03:36 PM
If you want some awesome guitar tuition then subscribe to Guitar Techniques Magazine (http://www.musicradar.com/guitartechniques).
It's not cheap but it has awesome instructionals and fantastic writers. Can't recommend this magazine enough! :dude

sunvalleylaw
June 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
You know, this made me giggle to myself...I have like a dozen or so GP's lying around here, I suppose I have saved them because they each had a nice lesson or tab on them. But, in 25 years or so I think I can still easily count with my fingers the exercises or tabs I actually did from any magazine...still I keep them round just in case I sometimes would actually try one :-)

HaHa!!! When I saw this thread, and before I knew it was resurrected and that I had already posted that, I had the same thought again. I still have those mags though!! I also get Acoustic Guitar, which gives some good, basic playing tips that I also have not used much.

gatorbrit
June 16th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I like both GP and GW. Sometimes GP is just a bit too intellectual for me. The interviews are a bit too high brow. On the other hand GW often has too much shredder metal stuff. Combined though they are good!

FrankenFretter
June 16th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I used to subscribe to both GW and GP. I made the decision to drop one because they pretty much mimic one another with their featured guitarists, and sometimes even gear. Back when I first started playing in the 80s (before I put it down for 15 years), I subscribed to GP for a few years. I almost chose them because of that fact, but ended up going with GW just to switch it up a bit. They really seem almost too similar to me. My other subscription is Vintage Guitar magazine. Interestingly, they have a few of the same featured guitarists as GW this month, probably due to some new recordings being out right now. I imagine GP probably had Randy Rhoads on the cover too? No complaints about that, he's one of my all-time faves. I'll have to check out Premier Guitar, I've never looked at that one.

Eric
June 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM
If you want some awesome guitar tuition then subscribe to Guitar Techniques Magazine (http://www.musicradar.com/guitartechniques).
It's not cheap but it has awesome instructionals and fantastic writers. Can't recommend this magazine enough! :dude
You're not kidding about the price! I didn't know magazines got that expensive with subscriptions.

I was shopping for a subscription, and I see that Guitar Player is $15 for a year, while Premier Guitar is $24. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it's not much money at all. But the cheap-*** in me always has a way of caring anyway...

bcdon
June 16th, 2011, 09:28 PM
You're not kidding about the price! I didn't know magazines got that expensive with subscriptions.

Yes, Guitar Techniques is pricey but it is much more of a tuition sort of magazine where you get detailed instruction every month.
The next time you are at the book store, spend some time browsing the magazine. You won't find any interviews but you'll find
loads of tab'd songs and tricks of the trade.

omegadot
June 16th, 2011, 10:35 PM
http://www.musicradar.com/guitartechniques/subscribe-and-get-an-orange-mini-amp-448775

Well that's interesting. Too bad I'm not in the UK.