PDA

View Full Version : Shy about trying an open mic or jam

Pickngrin
March 18th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I've never done any sort of open mic or jam in a bar, but it's something I think about. I guess I would say that I am not confident enough in my abilities (been playing for lots of years, sadly ;-(. Also, since I don't really spend any time in bars these days (need to check out some of the local music joints since I moved), I don't know what kinds of players are getting up there. In particular, the open blues jams interest me. Anybody out there do these? Any advice?
Thanks

Robert
March 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I do them lots. Just jump up and sit in. You don't have to know the songs perfectly. Just smile and try to follow along best you can and wail when your chance comes. :D

You could of course to go the jam without playing the first time to check out what songs are played. Then you can prepare a little bit, you know, learn the chords, etc.

Just have fun! It's not an audition!

just strum
March 18th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I never have done an open mic or a public jam session, but I would think that Robert's approach would be good. Go to one and strike up conversation with people that are participating. You might find some first timers or ones that have recently started that could provide you with more confidence.

My instructor attends a blues jam session a couple times a month and he's invited me to attend. He extended the offer when I happen to be talking to him at the music store before I even signed up for lessons. Come to think of it, he hasn't mentioned it since I started taking lessons from him.:whatever:

Childbride
March 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Pick, i can only relate from personal experience... so bear with me.

a forum member on another forum invited us to a monthly bluegrass festival to check it out. we hooked up, watched, and he invited us back to bring guitars.

i was petrified with a capital P. the whole time we were there, i was finding excuses not to play, b/c i was so scared to play in front of other people. but this gentleman, he was so cool, he kept encouraging me, and telling me [along with my husband, who is my Center] to just Play, and forget my nerves, that in two or three jam sessions, i was playing along with the group and learning/enjoying myself immensely.

[Pappy, you are a wonderful friend... you and Shiner have brought me a loooooong way, buddy]

do it. you may be scared at first, but the experience will deepen you volumes. :D it will improve your playing, and you can learn so much from other people... ;)

jpfeifer
March 18th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Hi,

I haven't attended any Blues Jams but I have done some coffee house open mic nights, which are really popular in this area. The thing that you see at these sessions is that there are players of all skill levels and the audience & players are all supportive of each other. It's a great way to meet other musicians and find out what everyone else is doing.

It's also common for these various musicians to invite each other to sit in for their songs, for example if a singer/songwriter shows up who wants some one to play guitar fills in their song to make it sound better.

You should go to one of these and just listen to the players who show up. You might be pleasantly surprised that you're just as good as many of them getting up there, which will encourage you to make the leap yourself.

-- Jim

Pickngrin
March 18th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks to each of you... is the etiquette to show up with your guitar?

jpfeifer
March 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I second what Childbride said.

The experience is worth it. You will learn a lot from it and probably get a boost of encouragement or at least have a lot of fun doing it, which is what it's all about anyway.

-- Jim

Spudman
March 18th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Show up with your guitar but either leave it locked in the car until you feel comfortable enough to go get it or carry it in with you and sit out of the way without the guitar openly obvious. That way you wont declare that you are a player and feel any pressure to play...until you are ready. And when you do feel ready your guitar will be right there so that you can jump in when appropriate.

The other inevitable thing that happens is that if you just go and listen the whole next week you'll be telling yourself how much better you could have done some of those songs than the people that did them. It's a guitar player trait of sorts. Then the following week you'll be all pumped to go strut your stuff.

And everything that Robert and Jim say too.:)

Brian Krashpad
March 19th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Show up with your guitar but either leave it locked in the car until you feel comfortable enough to go get it or carry it in with you and sit out of the way without the guitar openly obvious. That way you wont declare that you are a player and feel any pressure to play...until you are ready. And when you do feel ready your guitar will be right there so that you can jump in when appropriate.

I think that's what I'd do too. Probably not even bring one the first time, then be real low key about it when I did bring one.

Oddly, despite being in bands for years, I've never really done an organized jam or an acoustic slot at an open mic in a venue. I have jammed at a wrap party where I basically only knew a couple people, but the other guitarist was a guy I played in a church band with, so even though I was winging it it wasn't stressfull. Over the years I've jumped up and done some backing vox during friends' bands' sets a few times and that was always fun. And once I was fortunate enough to sit in on bass with a pretty famous artist, no rehearsal, no charts. That could've been a disaster, but turned out to be a ton of fun and something I'll never forget.

I should probably do an open mic sometime just to do it.

Go for it Pickngrin! And let us know how it goes.

Jipes
March 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I've been participating to many jam sessions over the years and that's highly motivating even if you're lost during one song it pushes you to learn more and get better !

you can meet musicians there, who might become friends or even create a band !

I've been running a weekly Open Jam session in a small bar in the 90's with a drummer and a bass player for a year or so and that's how I create my blues trio !

Just stay low profile and open mind and you will have a ball :rockon:

Jipes

birv2
March 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I highly recommend doing jams. I just started a few months ago, and I was absolutely terrified when I first started. I honestly thought I would throw up on stage, or my heart would leap out of my mouth.

However, each time got a little easier -- didn't feel like I would die, etc. Now after going pretty much weekly for several months, I really look forward to it and don't feel nervous. I mostly play backup, not brave enough to sing much yet (that's another hurdle).

I've gotten to know the other players and have even gotten some compliments. The best thing is that my playing has improved by leaps and bounds, which would never have happened playing in my basement.;)

So come on in, the water's fine!

Bob

Jimi75
March 20th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Have 3-4 beers or whiskeys before entering the stage :beer:
Of course this is a joke!

Prepare a little for a blues session, 12 bar blues and some nice turn arounds.
Enter the stage when there is a 2nd guitarist on stage so you can make little pauses in your playing and reflect a little more on what lines or chords to play.

Prepare 1-2 standard songs and aks the guys to play the song.

Hey man, just relax - a jamsession is fun and the best thing about it is that the "old dogs" will accept you and tolerate your playing! See it this way, everybody playing the blues or getting into playing the blues is GOOD! ;)

Good luck to you and once you made the first step you will soon be able to tell us about your jamsession adventures!

:AOK:

Plank_Spanker
March 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
There are no great expectations from the crowd on open mic night. It's all about the musicians getting up to play and everyone having fun.So, sally forth and PLAY! :D*

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I have enjoyed just getting out there and playing with and in front of people. Nike said it best - "Just do it!" :)

But seriously, maybe check it out to get comfortable, then bring a guitar one night, and when you are ready, don't think too much, just start strumming along, and pretty soon you will have left the jitters behind, and just be playing. :beer:

Pickngrin
April 2nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying, but thank you all for the feedback and words of wisdom. I need to get myself out there to check out the places... I don't do that much in my married life...

monkfish1979
April 3rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
Go for it, man! Don't be afraid to suggest a song that you know either. I've been to a fair few open mics (my brother runs one in Edinburgh), and the vibe's generally friendly and supportive. After all, everybody's there to have fun - not to write a review.

evenkeel
April 4th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I go out and play solo at various coffee house/open mice sort of things. I'm more of the acoustic hokey/folky kind of player so the jam thing is beyond my chops. Just played at one last night in fact.

For me these are the pre "show" things I do.
Arrive a bit early and get on the sign up list.
Have 3-4 songs ready to go. Nothing worse than watching someone try and decide what to play.
Before you leave the house double check and make sure you have all the stuff you need. Capo, harmonica, tuner, whatever.
When the person who is performing just before you is on stage get ready. Have your guitar tuned, warm up a bit if possible.

Then when on stage.
Start with a tune you are very familiar with and confident in playing. Play the harder stuff later on.
Very important... If you mess up DO NOT falter, just press on. And don't mention it as part of any between song patter. Always act like everything is terrific.
Most imprtant. Smile and have a good time.

Get out there and play. :bravo: :bravo: