PDA

View Full Version : Other Guitar Mags

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Marnold was comparing Guitar Player with Guitar World, and it brought to mind another mag I found and purchased once, but have not seen on a mag rack since. It is called Play Guitar magazine, for beginning and developing guitarists. Some of the coverage is pretty basic, some a little more advanced, but all seems pretty practical. Seems to have some good basics in it for those of us that are still pretty new. Check it out. I may have to find a decent subscription rate as it is not available on the shelf 'round here. Anyone else run across it, subscribe, etc?

http://www.playguitarmagazine.com/

What about any other guitar mags that any of you like?

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Well, I just clicked the subscription link and found that the mag had merged with Acoustic Guitar, and that Acoustic Guitar was now the survivor. Anyone try that one? Do they do anything that is not acoustic oriented? For instance, Guitar Player had sections on playing lead vs. rhythm, soul, some electric guitar reviews for first guitars, taught me how to play a Nirvana song, etc. Seems pretty broad for a mag called Acoustic Guitar.

Robert
March 18th, 2008, 09:53 PM
We have Acoustic Guitar in the house. It's quite good actually. Lots of interesting stuff - no electric guitars of course.

Spudman
March 19th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Pete Prown writes for Vintage Guitar magazine which is a pretty good one too. Pete did the interview on Roine Stolt for Guitar player and is currently doing an interview with Alex Skolnick.

marnold
March 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I've mentioned Premier Guitar before. If you only want the digital version, you can see it at any time on their site. I prefer print because it's easier to read in the bathroom :) While the gear reviews tend to focus on high-end, they've got interesting columns on things like classic stomp boxes, pot values and how they relate to guitar tone, refurbishing old guitars, Valve Jr. mods, etc.