PDA

View Full Version : Deadly good Equip. - James Blunt guitarist

Jimi75
March 20th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Hey folks,

I have been to the James Blunt concert and felt like standing right in the middle of a young girl church squire. The sound of the band was pretty good and the video animation on the screens was top notch, which could not hide the fact that the music was a little "boring".

But it was interesting to watch the guitarist beside Mr Blunt.
He played a deadly good combination, simple but effective.

2x Marshall 1974x combos, salt & pepper grill cloth. From what I could hear one was clean and one was a little crunchy all in all not distorted. The pedal board consisted of a Wah, Tremolo, Delay, Tuner and a distortin which looked like the T-Rex Alberta.

He played most of the time a 52 vintage Fender Tele in butterscotch and for some songs an ES-335 in white and Tobacco sunburst.

The sound was AWESOME! His lead tone turning on the Alberta was thick and warm, especially with the Gibson. The Tele was perfect for the rocking chord work in some of the songs and of course for the country drenched bends and licks. Both guitars made a good cut in the sound spectrum without killing the other instruments.

This was by far the best sound I heard in a long time and it proved again that less is more - sometimes :-) I know now that I need a Tele....GAS is getting hold of me again....

Jimi

Lev
March 20th, 2008, 04:20 AM
it's funny how as you get older your musical tastes broaden. 15 years ago I would never in a million years have gone anywhere near a James Blunt type of gig. But as you say most of these guys employ killer session musicians and there's always something to be learned for observing their technique and the way they setup their equipment.

Good report Jimi!

R_of_G
March 20th, 2008, 05:09 AM
marc ribot, who has done a ton of session work, says most of playing guitar comes down to understanding the particular project you are in and figuring out what your role is. that guitartist sounds like he's figured it out.

Robert
March 20th, 2008, 07:19 AM
You also need a Marshall or a Mack amp! :D

warren0728
March 20th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I know now that I need a Tele....GAS is getting hold of me again....
come on in...the water's just fine!! :dude:

ww