PDA

View Full Version : New Deluxe Squier Strat amazed again!

ZMAN
March 21st, 2008, 06:22 AM
As most of you know I am a huge fan of the new Deluxe Squier Strats. I have two. One in Daphne and one in White Pearl Metalic. The White pearl is a stunning guitar. I had a friend visit from out of town and he tried mine and immediately had me order one for him. It took a week and a half and I got a call that it was in. I had it set up with a set of D'Addarios.
I went to pick it up yesterday and this one is even nicer than mine. It has an almost burled maple neck and it looked sweet. Sound and playability are awsome. Here are the pictures.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P3200021.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P3200022.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P3200027.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P3200025.jpg

just strum
March 21st, 2008, 06:49 AM
:drool: :drool: :drool: +++++++++++++++++

I like those Strats and interesting neck on the new one.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying for these new Strats?

I feel I'm about to break my last "I promise, this is the last one" - my wife's response will be "Who the he77 is this ZMAN that is making you buy one???"

Very nice ZMAN!!!:AOK:

Lev
March 21st, 2008, 06:53 AM
wow, I really like the smaller Fender headstock rather than the usual Squire big 70's headstock.

street music
March 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM
VERY NICE!:rockon:

ZMAN
March 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM
We are paying 299 Canadian for them. The going price in the US is between 239 and 249. Duff has put a deposit on one and I think it was 239 in P. A.
The neck on this one is very unusual and of the four that I have had in my possesion it is the only one like that. So they might differ. I have one of the MIM 60ths and it has a pretty flamey neck. The only one I have seen like that also.
Apparently in talking to others about the grain, it all comes down to a crap shoot on what woods they get for the necks. Also the way it is cut. Usually the big guys like Fender and Gibson will save those cuts for the high end guitars.
Sorry JS, I am not trying to fuel any marital discord, and I now feel like a pusher! I rarely get this excited about a guitar but these are the best value in a guitar that I have seen in many years.
My dealer had brought another 4 in and he said that he has drained the Canadian distributor. He has 1 White and 2 Blue left. He had ordered 7 in total.
They took forever to finally get into circulation, at least 2 months longer than the original release. They are made by Cort in Indonesia.

marnold
March 21st, 2008, 08:01 AM
They are made by Cort in Indonesia.
The same factory that built the highly-acclaimed Squier '51s. Cort builds good stuff. That neck looks very nice.

stingx
March 21st, 2008, 08:21 AM
Gorgeous guitars. I have some time off today so I would like to gauge for myself how well they sound and play.

Btw, the decor in your pictures looks just like that of the old age home my grandmother lived in.

warren0728
March 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM
nice set of twins.... :beer:

ww

ZMAN
March 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Stingx: I will tell my interior designer about your comment. He will love that.

Robert
March 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Cool, I've never played one of those. I have to go check them out.

luvmyshiner
March 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
Those are stunning Zman.

just strum
March 21st, 2008, 10:30 AM
nice set of twins.... :beer:

ww

Those are stunning

Those are the very words I say (internal voice) to a woman at work that I am good friends with.

ZMAN
March 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
They're creamy white as well.
OK let's get back on topic!

warren0728
March 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
They're creamy white as well.
OK let's get back on topic!
but i kinda like where this topic is going!! :drool:

ww :greenguitar:

just strum
March 21st, 2008, 10:53 AM
Sorry ZMAN, I needed a little something to distract myself from the GAS. I started to type in the Sweetwater site and damn if history didn't take me to the site and a picture of a white Squire. Could your thread and my Internet history be telling me something???

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/StratDSMPW--Main

That gets you off the hook from taking the blame, now you can say it wasn't you, it was the Sweetwater site, although you and I will always know the truth.

ZMAN, you have damn good taste in guitars.

ZMAN
March 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM
See the gods have spoken. They drew me to the Squier site a couple of months ago and lo and behold. The Daphne was the one that got my attention, and it is sweet as well but the White pearl just knocks my socks off.
The neck in the Sweetwater picture is much lighter than they are in reality but with the larger picture you can see there is some pretty good grain on most of them.
The pickguard and hardware are all aged and it almost has a monochromatic look to it.
Thanks JS. My guitar purchases take a lot of time and I usually jump around on color and style a lot before I finally pick.
I have a CIJ 68 Reissue in Vintage White with maple that is my other favourite. Huge Hendrix vibe on that one. Even though his was arctic white!

just strum
March 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM
I'm a big fan of Vintage white also, but I don't see them around often.

Looks aside, are you really happy with the sound and playability of these Squires to the point where you aren't planning out mods to upgrade or change the sound?

Brian Krashpad
March 21st, 2008, 11:36 AM
Those look great.

Are the stock pickups alnico or ceramic?

ZMAN
March 21st, 2008, 01:11 PM
I have 8 strats and the tone and playalbility of the Deluxe Strats is amazing. They felt familiar so I did a comparison with my 50th Annivesary Deluxe Strat. The dimensionsof the body and feel of the neckare exactly the same. The only difference is the neck on the 50th is creamier and the rolled edges are better. The tone from the pickups comes very close to the SCNs. I will probably get flamed over this but that is how I feel. Very clean and clear. They are Alnicos by the way. I will not change anything on them. Of course that being said I have never modded any of my guitars.
So I am not the one to ask that question. The SC-101 pickups are being use on tons of guitars out there.
A lot of people buy Squiers to mod, but I don't see the need on these.

Bloozcat
March 21st, 2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry ZMAN, I needed a little something to distract myself from the GAS. I started to type in the Sweetwater site and damn if history didn't take me to the site and a picture of a white Squire. Could your thread and my Internet history be telling me something???

That gets you off the hook from taking the blame, now you can say it wasn't you, it was the Sweetwater site, although you and I will always know the truth.

ZMAN, you have damn good taste in guitars.

Not that I wish to be responsible for pushing you over the GAS precipice, strum, but did you notice that BOTH the White AND the Daphne Blue models are ON SALE for....$249.99 at Sweetwater?

That's $50.00 less than Musician's Friend.

Just thought I'd mention it....:poke:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Free shipping too....:)

just strum
March 21st, 2008, 01:31 PM
Not that I wish to be responsible for pushing you over the GAS precipice, strum, but did you notice that BOTH the White AND the Daphne Blue models are ON SALE for....$249.99 at Sweetwater?

That's $50.00 less than Musician's Friend.

Just thought I'd mention it....:poke:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Free shipping too....:)

Yes, I noticed and I usually get them to discount stuff that I buy from them. Ohhhh, the pain.

Bloozcat
March 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM
Yes, I noticed and I usually get them to discount stuff that I buy from them. Ohhhh, the pain.

Oops, my mistake! MF is selling them for the same $249.99 price with free shipping....:thwap:

So, just how do you get Sweetwater to discount the stuff you buy from them, strum? :confused:

just strum
March 21st, 2008, 02:32 PM
Oops, my mistake! MF is selling them for the same $249.99 price with free shipping....:thwap:

So, just how do you get Sweetwater to discount the stuff you buy from them, strum? :confused:

Grovel. I got a slight discount on my AD30VT 10%, plus free shipping. Sweetwater doesn't always do free shipping on the amount of sales, it's usually size of packaging. Most of their smaller stuff is free shipping, but if you say you will buy a bigger item if there is free shipping, they usually will do it. My Ibanez guitar was normally $400, but I got it for $355 or $360 and I believe it was already set up for free shipping. Some call it negotiating, I call it artful groveling.

Guitar Gal
March 21st, 2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah.....those new Squire Deluxe Strats do look nice :drool: :drool:

GG

ZMAN
March 23rd, 2008, 05:59 AM
Well another happy customer. I just got an email from another fretter and he has picked his White Pearl up and loves it also. I will let him chime in when he is ready.

Duff
March 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I picked up my "White Out" Deluxe strat. Decided to name it White Out. It is an awesome guitar that continues to sound better the more I play it. Playing it thru my RP350 into my Tweed HRDx it sounds the best yet. I turned on a simple drum backing track and jammed and it sounded sweet.

I put EB hybrid strings on it, bass strings are thicker than the unwound 9's set type. Great combination and bassy.

The neck is really nice and simple. The tone system is outstanding and the duncan designed single coils sound really good. I won't change anything on it at this point. I have a set of Fender locking tuners I should probably put on but these are adequate, just takes longer to string. It stays in tune remarkably well even when using the two point tremolo moderately heavily. I'm trying to develop some tremolo technique through doing it.

What is the advantage of the two point pivoting tremolo system?

This is at this point my favorite guitar. I have also been playing my new Peavey Generation Ex (EXP) std, two pickup tele. Peavey makes great guitars, I had assumed that only the basses were great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another highly recommended Peavey guitar, like a good strat copy, or one of those twin humbucker teles.

I have a newish Squire std tele and I would consider puting one of those Seymour Duncan mini humbucker neck pickups on it, the one that has the S on it in a big letter in the middle. I think that would look cool but don't know how hard it would be to wire in or how it would sound with the alnico bridge pup. The Squire alnico pups sound good now, twangy and bright, really tele sounding. The Peavey is more beautiful and has a sweeter more mellow tone.

White Out plays like a really good guitar. I'm glad I got it instead of a used '02 Fender mim strat I was considering, it sounded good too. The pickup system and tone control on the Squire was way more substantial and responsive.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

Katastrophe
March 27th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Beautiful Strats, ZMAN. That neck looks almost like a very loose quilt pattern. Looks like Squier's knocking 'em out of the park with this series.

Of course, the optimist in me says that they'll increase the price, discontinue the model, or change manufacturing plants to lesser quality by the time I get the cash to get one.:thwap: ;)

Spudman
March 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Of course, the optimist in me says that they'll increase the price, discontinue the model, or change manufacturing plants to lesser quality by the time I get the cash to get one.:thwap: ;)

You can get 90 day same as cash deals from all the big retailers.:poke: :D

Jampy
March 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Wow what a great looking guitar and at a great price !!

Where abouts are you in Ontario and where did you order them from, a CAN or USA site or store ??

PM me if you wish to do so..

ted s
March 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I would like to know as well, they sound/look fantastic !

just strum
March 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I keep looking at this one at Sweetwater and it is tough to maintain the willpower to avoid the purchase. I just received a bill for some medical tests and it has zapped all guitar and gear funds for a long time.

It sure is pretty:

I know it's the white Strat that is giving me the GAS, but ZMAN fueled the fire with his comments.

ZMAN
March 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Jampy you have a PM.

ZMAN
March 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Ted S Check your PMs.

Duff
March 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I can sympathize with you on the med bills. I have had some serious med situations that absorbed all of me, in every way.

Later I found ways to buy some musical gear that I have wanted. It gives my life new meaning. I have been a drummer and have taken up guitar and have collected some amps and guitars and stuff. It is helping me. It is something I am able to do.

I'm sure you will find a way to make it happen and it will probably be good for you, like it has been for me. Even my doctor agrees.

Heck, I even got black zirconia ear rings and am letting my hair grow, tastefully so.

I have gotten in touch with myself and my emotions in a way that I had let go of. Something like the Principal in the movie School of Rock. I'm happy becoming myself again and it takes work. But it is very rewarding.

Life has a way of leaving you behind and then, all the sudden, for some unanticipated reason, it's catching up with you; if you're lucky. I'm lucky and I'm happy connecting with myself and letting myself be who I am.

I'm lucky. I can buy some gear and I enjoy it. Quite possibly the same thing will happen with you.
Everything happens for a reason. Unforseen things happen and may be enlightening. I'm happier and way more in touch with myself emotionally and creatively and I like it.

Sorry if I'm preaching. People see things different ways and everyone is entitled to seeing it their way. Don't let my perspective interfere with yours. I wish you the best and know that you will be getting some new gear, somehow. It'll be in your plan.

Humbly outspoken,

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

Who knows, something nice might come your way unexpectedly someday. . . . .

Duff
March 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM
That Squire twin humbucker strat sounds like a super nice item. What year is that and what color is it? Can you post a picture?

How does it sound when compared to say a decent LP copy? Quite different?

I got one of those antique burst SX GG1 Jr's with the two P90s for 119 a month or so ago. What a sweet guitar. An LP style with a set neck. Everything is mahogany except the fretboard.

This guitar is beautiful, feels great, plays great, and sounds super awesome with lots of brightness and a lot of growl with the two vol and two tone controls.

I notice on the rondomusic.com site they have it back in the natural dark brown solid mahogany finish. Guaranteed to be an addition to your arsenal that will slay! Check it out. That is one of my nicest guitars, regardless of price. One thing I noticed lately, you can't go by price alone. Where you going to find a guitar like that for any price?

I wish I could have gotten one of those natural mahogany varnished SX SST strat copies that were only on the site for a few days. My antique burst GG1 Jr is beautiful and wasn't on the site for very many days either. Glad I acted fast.

Didn't act fast enough, however, to get one of those Gibson point to point amps that they were blowing out for like two hundred for a thousand dollar amp. Hogs bought piles of them during that special and then are going to sell them for top dollar. Sometimes you have to notice the "he who hesitates is lost" principle and see if you can afford to act on it or if it is appropriate for you. That mahogany strat SX SST would have been perfect, sss arrangement and all.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa

ZMAN
March 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
We have another convert! Again I will let them introduce themselves to us.
I can only hope that you all feel the same way I do. Also I forgot to mention my commission on sales from Squier! No just kidding. I feel that this is not your run of the mill Squier, and I would have been remiss on not letting you all know.

Spudman
March 28th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Also I forgot to mention my commission on sales from Squier!

Um...did you read the fine print when you joined the forum?

Article 3 paragraph 1 states: "any member openly claiming revenue from commission sales on the forum shall donate said commissions to the operation costs of the forum and will furnish the best beer obtainable when forum members stop by your house to jam."

Just to let you know...most of us like expensive imports.:D

just strum
March 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM
And seeing that I go to southern Ontario about every three weeks, I plan on being at least one that will collect.:D :beer:

Duff
March 28th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I played what I think might have been the predecessor or prototype for the Squire Deluxe today and loved it. It was a crimson red with red tortise shell pickguard and duncan designed hot pups, small headstock, maple fretboard, Squire Vintage Modified strat. Nice looking, feeling, playing guitar. I played it thru a Vox DA5 I put on lay away. It sounded really hot compared to a Squire tele with three pickups I played: two duncan designed single coils in the bridge and middle, and a mini humbucker at the neck. Only the mini humbucker was hot. It was a sweet looking tele though, but I would buy the strat instead, just based on the sound and the overall looks. That is one beautiful guitar. 289 is as low as I could get them to go. I think it would be worth it though.

They still don't have the Squire Deluxe strats or the Fender super champ XD or vibro champ XD. He only ordered two Super Champ XD's and when I told him that they would probably not be there a week his eyes opened right up. I'm sure he is debating whether or not he should order some more. I told him most people are not getting the vibro champs but are spending the extra fifty dollars and are going for the super champ.

He had a brand new Fender Cyber Champ. I have never seen one of those. It looked pretty neat.

I'm glad I'm getting the Vox DA5 AC/DC 6.5" speaker modeling amp with memory. This puppy is loud, I mean loud. I plan on using it at the park, etc. It has a mic input with a separate volume control. I think I'll use my ART Tube MP studio to warm my voice up when at home. The mic is pure clean tone, no way to modify your voice with any effects. But it will be better than no mic at all.

I'm going to try to go places and play some of my guitars I want to sell by playing them thru the little Vox. I'm going to try to do this without getting arrested or cited. I'm sure I will be able to apply some slickness and find ways to play and try to sell some stuff at the same time. Permission is the best way probably.

Duff

ZMAN
March 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I will follow through on my obligation to forum members. I will however warn those of you from the Lower half of North America, that I will be only serving Canadian Beer. Therefore I will only incur half the cost of getting you drunk, due to the strength of Canadian beer compared to US.

Spudman
March 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I will follow through on my obligation to forum members. I will however warn those of you from the Lower half of North America, that I will be only serving Canadian Beer. Therefore I will only incur half the cost of getting you drunk, due to the strength of Canadian beer compared to US.

Yea! That's the best thing I've heard in a long time. :bravo: :beer: Can you say 'road trip?" I knew you could. (takes off cardigan - puts on guitar)

t_ross33
March 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Wow what a great looking guitar and at a great price !!

Where abouts are you in Ontario and where did you order them from, a CAN or USA site or store ??

PM me if you wish to do so..

hey ZMAN, I wanna play too :bravo: Help a brother Canuck out.

Trev

ZMAN
March 29th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Hey Spudman any time, just call in advance. I do a lot of travelling and I might not be home. I might also be between truckloads of beer and may have to stock up.

ZMAN
March 29th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Trev: you have a PM

marnold
March 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Re: beer potency

I believe that's a fallacy stemming from the fact that Canada measures beer alcohol by percent, whereas America goes by weight. Thus, the percentage will be lower for American beer even though the alcohol is the same. Having said that, I'd rather have a good IPA or Barleywine at which point ABV vs. ABW is totally irrelevant :)

scgmhawk
March 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I recommend drinking more than you should just in case it's not a myth!:beer:

Spudman
March 30th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I recommend drinking more than you should just in case it's not a myth!:beer:

+1 :beer: hick!

Spudman
April 1st, 2008, 11:52 PM
Otay. I have to say without a doubt that these are the best Squiers to come along in a long time. What a bargain. :AOK:

Mine came tuned almost perfectly to Eb and the first thing I noticed when I pulled it from the box was how nice the neck was. The first words out of my mouth were "this feels really nice."

The neck has rolled edges so it is way comfy but just the size and the finish work are yummy in my hand anyway. It feels almost the same as some of the American Standards and Mexicans from the last two years. Very well done.

Next I plugged it into a Vamp2 with headphones. Holy smokes! This sounds great. The Duncan pickups are sweet. The real test will come when I gig with it this coming weekend but it will get blasted in the house just as soon as possible. More to come on this.

I don't know what else to say except the quality is higher than I've seen in a long time. It makes my Pro Tone Squire look like a dog. The finish is awesome on the white one I got.

So I guess if you are in the market for a new Strat I would tell you that you have 2 choices under 300 bucks other than a used Mexican and I would take either of these before the Mexi:

Squier Deluxe with 22 fret maple fretboard satin finish neck
Squier Vintage Modified 21 fret rosewood fretboard gloss finish neckBoth have the same pickups but different body woods. Either way you'll get a winner.

Thanks Zman and Duff for the input and support. You guys were right.:beer:

ZMAN
April 2nd, 2008, 06:15 AM
Hey Spudman: How was the grain on the neck? Also I would recommend a string change up to 10s. I had the Daphne strung with 9s and the White with 9.5s both D'Addarios, and the 9.5s actually ring a little nicer. I would even go as far as 10s for sure.
The first thing I noticed with these was the quality of the fit and finish. But what really got me was how nice the necks are finished on both the VM and Deluxes.
I am glad you like yours. I am always worried when I recommend a guitar that the person will not see the same things I do. With these it is hard not to.

Spudman
April 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Nothing special with the neck grain. It's all horizontal so the grain runs along the neck and I have a bunch of straight lines is all. It is a well finished neck. Very smooth.
I"m being cheap for a bit and leaving the stock strings on for a while although I'll probably change before I gig with it just because that's what I do.:)

ZMAN
April 2nd, 2008, 07:47 AM
The place where I buy, gives me one free set up with strings. I always opt for it right away because Darren does such an amazing job. I have yet to find a flaw in his set ups. They are just perfect for me.

scgmhawk
April 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
The only 2 colors I see at any of the online retailers for the Deluxe is Daphne Blue or Pewter. The Blue is backorderd and none of the major online players even have White Metallic in the drop down menu?

Spudman
April 2nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Pewter is the white.

I just plugged mine into the Crate Vintage Club 50 and I'm amazed. This is one good sounding playing guitar. It's quiet for a Strat and has plenty of tonal variety. What a great low cost investment. I'll be playing this one a lot.

scgmhawk
April 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Spud. I may have to get me a Pewter one!

sunvalleylaw
April 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
If it came with a rosewood fretboard with 22 frets, (just to be different than mine) I would be figuring something out. It looks too nice! Who knows, down the road one may need to come this way.

Duff
April 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
I just switched from my Peavey butterscotch tele Gen Ex to my White Out Squire deluxe strat we've been discussing. Had my Vox DA5 on the exact same settings and the strat was about twice as loud, had to turn down the am fast. I would say those duncan designed pickups are hot. It think the volume was the same on both guitars, I'll have to recheck it and see if there really is that much difference.

Duffy

t_ross33
April 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
If it came with a rosewood fretboard with 22 frets, (just to be different than mine) I would be figuring something out. It looks too nice! Who knows, down the road one may need to come this way.
Then Squier Vintage Modified is the way to travel (GAS injection heh, heh, heh...:D). I'm thinking Strat w/ rosewood as well.

maybe...

someday...

soon?... :poke:

[hijack post]

We need to augment our band's PA first and I'm currently GASing for some bass bins/subs and another power amp, as well as a rackmount compressor/limiter, and a stereo 31ch EQ, so if anyone has anything they'd like to unload, let me know :D

[/hijack post]

Duff
April 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
I played one of these the other day and really liked it. Honestly, I liked the color and the sound was outstanding.
It was crimson red with a red tortise shell pickguard. Really looked cool and sounded cool thru a Vox DA5, which is cool in itself, great sounds, great overdrives, effects, etc, plus runs on batteries and is LOUD.

I love my Squire Deluxe Strat though, "White Out" I named it. It's blinding, heavy, and deep, but it sparkles and chimes too. I'll have to compare it to my sss Hwy 1. Maybe later today.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

Big Muddy keep on rolling, slow around the bend, deep and murky; Mother to the soul of the Delta Blues.

ZMAN
April 2nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
I don't know where they got pewter. The color is Pearl White Metalic. Since I bought mine I have seen several Cadillacs with this color. When I got mine back from the shop after a set up I found a chip on the front. I was not sure whether I did it or they did. I asked and I was told it was on it when I brought it in. I said I doubted it but would bite the bullet. I then tried to find a touch up paint to fix it. I went to 10 different hobby and craft places and found a PEARL WHITE metallic that was very close. I spent hours dabbing the chip and letting it dry. Finally it was done and was almost like a blemish in the paint, and the owner calls me and says to come on down and pick up my replacement guitar. All set up the way I like. I was blown away but I really am a VERY good customer. I went down and picked up my new guitar and he was amazed at the job I had done. He promptly sold it to a friend at a 20 dollar discount!
So it is not Pewter, Pearl White Metallic. When you see it you will understand what I mean.

Spudman
April 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
The white is a gorgeous color. Very alive with flashes of other colors. Subtle yet alluring and mysterious. Great color for a guitar. I don't normally go for white but this one isn't just white.

I've been playing it so much my finger tips are really sore. Anyone got some callouses they can send me?

ted s
April 2nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Geez,all these extremely positive reviews, too close not to check out.

just strum
April 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Geez,all these extremely positive reviews, too close not to check out.

Yep Ted, I agree and a tough one to fight off. When I go for lessons Saturday I will have to check to see if they have one and maybe cut me a deal since I'm taking lessons there.

Certainly no one seems to be unhappy with this guitar.

sunvalleylaw
April 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
OK, is there a HSS version of this Squire Deluxe or the VM that is as good?

t_ross33
April 2nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
YES, and there is a Hot Rails (http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0300510505)version of the Deluxe that looks pretty killer, though I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the huge 70's headstock. But that's just me. :tongue:
Looks like would satisfy your requirement for 22 frets and a rosewood fretboard too :D

Let me know how you like it when you get it home :poke: Pics and clips, man, pics and clips! :dude:

Trev

Lookee Here (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=512573)

sunvalleylaw
April 2nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
Let me know how you like it when you get it home :poke: Pics and clips, man, pics and clips! :dude:

Trev

Lookee Here (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=512573)

That VM looks really cool, and has the smaller headstock too. Bears looking into sometime. No time soon though. Justa lookin!

ZMAN
April 3rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
I have seen the HSS version up close and it has the same build quality as the other VMs. I was not excited by the colors. Gun metal grey with rosewood, and the Black with rosewood. I have yet to see the hot rails model. Certainly a lot more choices from Squier.

sunvalleylaw
April 3rd, 2008, 06:53 AM
Glad to know about the build quality. I agree with you on the colors. That Pearl White/pewter color is better for sure.

Spudman
April 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Got mine set up by a pro and it's really sweet now.:AOK:

The nut wasn't cut right and the intonation was off too. We straightened the neck and raised the pickups just a little and now...oh ya! She rocks. I just love the way the neck feels. The rolled edges and satin finish make it feel like an old friend. The hot bridge pickup is really sweet. It almost sounds like my old Dimarzio Fat Strat bridge pickup with just a tad less mids and output.

I feel like the basswood body also helps to keep the tone from being too bright. It resonates well but lacks the brittle top end that both the alder squires have.

Did I mention that it looks really nice too?

ZMAN
April 26th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I have a pro who does all my guitars. When I buy one at their shop he does the first set up for free. So I am a little spoiled. When I order a guitar he susually sets her up when it comes in and he feels that it is flawless. I won't accept anything else. When I go to pick it up it is already intonated and the nut cut and a new set of strings. They usually are amazing.

Duff
April 26th, 2008, 07:42 PM
My white pearl deluxe squire also sounds great; however, I did the set up because the place I bought it at doesn't have a good tech right now. But my skills are getting better.

Right now I'm playing my ESP LTD H101-F which is also super nice sounding, always was but I put Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded pups in it. It's sweet.

Lately I'm playing thru my Vox DA5 or the Fender Super Champ XD with the Emminence ragin cajun speaker. Both are great even at low volume. The DA5 is especially surprising and very Loud for being AC/DC, and only a 6.5 inch speaker. Totally amazing and the Squire Deluxe sounds great thru it and with the autowah it's really neat even though I like to use a pedal but with the autowah and the whammy bar it sounds great.

Duff
April 26th, 2008, 07:58 PM
My Squire Deluxe pearl white metallic is just like yours, including the neck.

The neck is not straight grained but has the figuring to the grain. I was wondering if this is a good thing or could lead to eventual uneven aging and twisting or bowing. I think the neck is great and I have no bowing or twisting but have always thought that a straight grained long piece of maple would be stronger and less likely to warp.

It is, however, a great feeling neck and plays great.

Also, being no great expert about guitars, this is the first maple neck I've noticed that has the fretboard machined right on top of the neck itself; instead of having a maple fretboard laminated onto the maple neck. I guess it would be easier to just laminate a perfectly flat slab of fretboard onto a relatively roughed out neck.

Also, this process with the fretboard being part of the same wood as the neck could have a really positive effect on the sound of the guitar in that the sound doesn't have to cross a threshold between the laminated fretboard and the neck itself, in which case the two pieces of wood would have different densities, plus the glue would have yet another density, therefore I could see the sound waves going through some changes that can't happen with a one piece neck like this. Of course where the neck bolts on there will be a change in density, etc. But overall I think it is a good idea; even though it's one I've never encountered.

Is this a typical practice or a new idea?

Thanks for the feedback,

Duffy

sunvalleylaw
April 26th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Hmm, don't know about the squiers but my maple fretboard is just a part of the neck. I guess I thought they all were.

ZMAN
April 27th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Maple boards come in two differeent styles. They do actually have a laminated maple board on a maple neck. You will notice them immediately because they have no skunk stripe down the back. I have a MIJ 68 Reissue like that.

just strum
April 27th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Maple boards come in two differeent styles. They do actually have a laminated maple board on a maple neck. You will notice them immediately because they have no skunk stripe down the back. I have a MIJ 68 Reissue like that.

I get on-line this morning and this is the first thing I learned - never knew that. Is that strip of wood to help maintain straightness or purely cosmetic?

ZMAN
April 27th, 2008, 06:15 AM
They have to have a way to imbed the truss rod in the neck. If you have a once piece neck they route out the back and imbed the truss rod. I really never thought why it is a different color. With an actual Fretboard that is glued on to the front of the maple neck they can put the truss rod in before they glue the neck together.
I don't know if my 68 reissue was just being true to the actual 68s manufacturing techniques but the there is no hole at the top of the neck for the adjustment tool. To adjust the neck you have to take the neck off the body and the adjusting screw is in the base of the neck.

Spudman
April 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Many pro players seem to think that the slab fingerboard increases the stability of the neck. I've never heard anything about it in relation to tone though and I've never detected any differences in my guitars.

I don't really think it matters either way there are good and bad necks of both varieties. It probably matters more that the whole neck is just a good piece of wood regardless of the fingerboard construction.

Iago
April 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I agree with Spud.

And a walnut stripe for neck stability wouldn`t make any sense, since maple is much harder already. The stripe is there just to hide the truss rod.

Great looking guitars!

Duff
April 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Lately I've been playing my Squire Deluxe thru my Vox DA5 turned onto tremolo plus reverb effect on the clean 2 setting with the gain at about 5. I have my Dlx going into a Danelectro Corned Beef reverb pedal (corny but super great pedal) and then into my Sonic Stomp sonic maximizer and into the amp.

The tremolo is set at sloooooow, the slowest; and the reverb on the amp is low. The reverb on the Corned Beef is turned up fairly high, you have to tweak these or you can get it too high. The Sonic stomp is set to three quarters on the bass and about two thirds on the treble enhancement.

The sound is really nice and bluesy. The tremolo give it a really nice rotary sound and the reverb has ultra fast delay or echo built in, producing a really nice reverb effect and filling out the tone quite nicely.

I use the same set up with my Fender SCXD to great effect.

I played two of my teles thru this set up as well and it sounds super outstanding with plenty to twang with the treble turned up on the guitar and the switch in any position on any guitar. Really twangy but thick and complex sound but not overwhelming, muddled, muffled, thin, or indistinct. The sound is very distinct and clear with the reverb and ultra fast delay being modulated by the tremolo slowly. Really cool if you like that type of thing.

The Dlx twangs very nicely. And the rolling tremolo really fits in with the rock, or blues.

Just some ideas from another Sq. Dlx owner. That neck is really silky feeling and responsive.

Duffy

Katastrophe
May 1st, 2008, 06:44 AM
I played a Daphne Blue Squier Deluxe yesterday. All I can say is that these are wonderful guitars. The fit and finish is on par with the quality of my MIM, but for $150.00 less.

Where the Squier shines IMO is in the pups. The Duncan Designed pups totally spank the sound of the cheapies in my MIM. I plugged into a Marshall MG series head and cab, a Randall RX120 head and cab, a Bassman, and a Blues Junior.

It sounded fantastic through all of them. Oddly enough, I was able to get some cool twangy goodness from the Randall, even though it's set up to be a high gain, "metal" style amph.

The Bassman was pure Strat heaven. Now I know why it's such a magical combination.

Spudman
May 1st, 2008, 07:13 AM
That's right. The pickups are really good but every time I pick mine up I am amazed at how good the satin neck feels.

just strum
May 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I don't know how often I come to this thread and look at the post that started it all. Tonight I went to the Sweetwater site sort of thinking of buying one and what do I read:

"Squier has informed us that this item has an unusually long shipping delay. Be assured we'll get it as quick or quicker than anyone else..."

I'm going to have to check the local music store where I take lessons and see what they can do. There guitars are set up by them and having played a lot of theirs hanging on the wall, the guy does a great job.

I have GAS that needs to be relieved without breaking the bank.

Anyone have feedback on one of these?:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleSVMSSHOWT/

Spudman
May 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I'm sure the Teles are nice too but I haven't had hands on any of them.

MF usually has those Deluxes in stock. I don't know if I trust Sweetwater any more for some information. For instance I was looking for an Ibanez ART300 and they told me they were discontinued. Wrong! They just came out. See.

just strum
May 7th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I'm sure the Teles are nice too but I haven't had hands on any of them.

MF usually has those Deluxes in stock. I don't know if I trust Sweetwater any more for some information. For instance I was looking for an Ibanez ART300 and they told me they were discontinued. Wrong! They just came out. See.

I think the ARC300 was discontinued (not positive). As for Sweetwater, I still have had success with them. However, the more I think about the Squier or a Fender MIM, I might decide to buy local just because of the inconsistency that guitars are noted for at that level. A lot of good ones sold over the net, but I feel more comfortable with the test drive.

Edit: I just checked the Ibanez site and the ARC300 is not listed. Time to sell my ARC300 Rare Vintage Collectors Item on E-bay:D