PDA

View Full Version : Matt's take on the AD50VT

Matt
April 6th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Hey guys, sorry I havnt posted for weeks, but life has been rather irksome and busy lately, but luckily, I have managed to jam quite often and I'm starting to love my AD50VT more and more. So I thought why not post a review now that I'm on my easter holidays (ah the wonders of still being in education) :P

Pros:

First off, as some of you know, I had worries about it not being loud enough. Well at first it wasnt, which annoyed me. But the reason for this was because I couldnt crank it fully without screaming feedback. But after some helpful advice, I turned down the gain slightly, put the amp on a chair and shezam, the thing now sings, almost too loudly :D

Secondly, the amp models. While jamming I only use my two user channels via the footswitch, but when recording at home, the versitility of this thing impresses me. For a nice crunchy sound I like to use the UK80s with the gain turned down, or the vox AC30TB with the gain cranked. For the main heavy distortion amd leads, the UK Modern. That model is the shiz, and it can drive better than the NuMetal setting. For cleans, I found that for nice fenderish cleans, the blackface 212 (duh!), but for a nice SRV clean, the tweed 410 was better, and it likes my badmonkey better. Another model I've been looking into more and more (especially since Robert's Das Fuzz movie) is the Boutique OD. Can get some almost Hendrix tones from that baby.

Cons:

The amp can be quite erratic in its sound quality. When you first switch it on, understandibly its sounds arn't as good as when its been running hot for 20 mins, but sometimes it will sound better if you switch it off for a while after some hard playing and then switch it back on. There is a slight volume swell when this happens as well. Any ideas why?

Its damn heavy. My other bandmates Laney which is a 65W doesnt weigh anywhere near as much. I suppose its because of the goodies inside ;)

The footswitch only has a 6ft cable. Now this is quite annoying as it means I have to stand quite close to the amp, and when its cranked its fairly loud, meaning that my ears are going to pay for it

The choice of only two user channels is highly annoying as well. I know you can have the manual third, but I like to cycle the effects on and off instead. Speaking of effects, the effects are pretty nice, especially the rotary speaker, delay, reverb and tremelo. The chorus is a bit week however. Unfortuneately, as its a modelling amp, it makes my modelling pedal (a Zoom GFX-1) pretty much redundant, and they dont like being hooked up to each other and there is no effects loop. So I just use it for a big expensive tuner instead :D

Conclusion:

Overall, its a fine amp. I can see it probably being more useful in a recording studio than for a gigging musician, but being on limited funds, and the fact I like the sounds you can get for it, I'm not going to trade it in, at least, not yet. Anyhoo, its getting near dinner time for me here in merry old england.

regards

Matt

duhvoodooman
April 6th, 2006, 10:57 AM
For cleans, I found that for nice fenderish cleans, the blackface 212 (duh!), but for a nice SRV clean, the tweed 410 was better, and it likes my badmonkey better.
YES! The Tweed 4x10 is definitely the SRV model of choice, IMO, althought the Black 2x12 is better for some of his cleaner & twangier numbers. Dirty up the Tweed with a Bad Monkey or a Tone Driver and it really sings the blues!

The footswitch only has a 6ft cable. Now this is quite annoying as it means I have to stand quite close to the amp, and when its cranked its fairly loud, meaning that my ears are going to pay for it

I understand that other similar amp switch pedals will work with the VOX. I recall somebody at Patchtronix saying that they had substituted a Marshall pedal with an 18' cord, and it worked great.

Matt
April 6th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I understand that other similar amp switch pedals will work with the VOX. I recall somebody at Patchtronix saying that they had substituted a Marshall pedal with an 18' cord, and it worked great.

Now that is good news, I've been thinking about whether or not a different footswitch would work. Thanks for the tip!

On a side note, heres (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyQUUHP79k0) a clip of me and a buddy messing around. Im using his Les Paul and amp, and hes using my electro acoustic. Sloppy playing, but I had just woken up.

Nelskie
April 6th, 2006, 11:49 AM
The footswitch only has a 6ft cable.
Matt - Nice review. Your points are insightful and articulate. I know the Voodooman suggested that a Marshall pedal might work with your Vox. However, is there anyway you could just get an adapter / coupler, and then connect another 10' (*or whatever length you should so desire) section of cord to the Vox pedal you already have? It might be a less expensive option. Anyways, glad to hear that the AD50VT is for the most part meeting your expectations, and that you've found ways to work some of the amp's settings into your tonal arsenal.

I also enjoyed the clip of you and your buddy playing. Was that an original? If it was, nice job. Kinda' reminded me of myself some 15-20 yrs. ago. Except there wasn't an acoustic guitar anywhere in sight!! Ha ha ha! ;)

Matt
April 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Matt - Nice review. Your points are insightful and articulate. I know the Voodooman suggested that a Marshall pedal might work with your Vox. However, is there anyway you could just get an adapter / coupler, and then connect another 10' (*or whatever length you should so desire) section of cord to the Vox pedal you already have? It might be a less expensive option.

Yeah, thats something I've also been looking into. Unfortunately, I havnt been able to find a coupler of that sort

I also enjoyed the clip of you and your buddy playing. Was that an original? If it was, nice job. Kinda' reminded me of myself some 15-20 yrs. ago. Except there wasn't an acoustic guitar anywhere in sight!! Ha ha ha! ;)

Lol, thanks. Yes it is original, we were just messing around. I had come up with the electric part a long time ago, he just decided to add acoustic to it, and it turned out fairly well, well, it will when we record it properly :D

ZoSo65
April 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Nice review Matt ;) kudos!

I also like the song you guys are playing, can't wait to hear the finished version!

Spudman
April 6th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Conclusion:

Overall, its a fine amp. I can see it probably being more useful in a recording studio than for a gigging musician, but being on limited funds, and the fact I like the sounds you can get for it, I'm not going to trade it in, at least, not yet.

regards

Matt

Hey Matt. Good feedback about the amp. Just don't forget that most guitar players only take one amp to a gig. You just described being able to switch between two. I think that is a big plus about the Vox.
Glad you are liking the amp and keep on twangin'.

marnold
April 7th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Good review from the tastefully named Matt. I too wish there were more "channels" on the ADxxVT series. Thankfully, I've found that I like the Boutique CL and UK Modern presets as-is. They aren't footswitch-accessible, but it works with minimal fuss.

The more I use the UK70s model with my TO800 the more I like it. Without the pedal, you get that classic rock sound. With the pedal, 80s metal all the way.

I also agree with Matt and DerVoodooMensch that the Tweed 4x10 is all that and a bag of chips for the blues. Even if I got no other useful tones out of my AD30VT, I'd keep the amp just for that model. FWIW, my settings for use with a hot humbucker are available here (http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/Blues/Basic%20Blues/details_145.html) for your viewing pleasure.

tot_Ou_tard
April 8th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Marnold, I notice that you put the master @ 1:30 - 2:00 rather than cranking it. More often than not I will keep the master opened up and lower the gain accordingly to get a particular sound. I was wondering what others do & why.

marnold
April 8th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Marnold, I notice that you put the master @ 1:30 - 2:00 rather than cranking it. More often than not I will keep the master opened up and lower the gain accordingly to get a particular sound. I was wondering what others do & why.
The main reason is so that I can get distorted and clean tones without having to mess with anything. For example, if I crank the master, the Boutique CL preset will overdrive. I just keep the master at that 1:30-2:00 level and adjust my two channels accordingly. Of course, if you never use the presets as-is, the question is moot.

You do make an interesting point. I wonder what the tone difference would be between using the master the way I do and the way tOt does. My guess would be that tOt's method might give a bit more tubiness (is that word?) than my method. Some day when I have some time to noodle, I'll have to try it.

tot_Ou_tard
April 9th, 2006, 08:38 AM
The main reason is so that I can get distorted and clean tones without having to mess with anything. For example, if I crank the master, the Boutique CL preset will overdrive. I just keep the master at that 1:30-2:00 level and adjust my two channels accordingly. Of course, if you never use the presets as-is, the question is moot.

You do make an interesting point. I wonder what the tone difference would be between using the master the way I do and the way tOt does. My guess would be that tOt's method might give a bit more tubiness (is that word?) than my method. Some day when I have some time to noodle, I'll have to try it.
Well that's the idea at least.

Tubiness is not a word, but tubitude, tubocity, tubacious, and tubelicious are.