PDA

View Full Version : Hofner Bass

just strum
March 22nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
I know nothing about bass, but I can pickup on something of value. I went for my guitar lessons this morning and I picked up a book. As I was paying for it, a woman came in carrying a guitar case. She had brought it in to have it serviced as it had been sitting under the bed for years and had belonged to her ex-husband.

She open up the case and inside is a Hofner Violin Bass from 1963. Needless to say everyone gathered around. She really had no idea what she had, but I offered her $100 and everyone laughed. She couldn't figure out why were laughing and I told her that she should be visiting an appraiser, not a repair shop.

This thing appeared to be in great shape with the exception of the volume wasn't working properly.

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/gallery2/bas.html

wingsdad
March 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Holy Cow :thwap: That's got McCartney all over it. And probably a pricetag to match.
EDIT 3-23: I had a chance later on yesterday to check Vintage Guitar Mag's Price Guide when I went to buy some strings. A '63 500/1 in Excellent Condition has a price range of $3,300 to $4,000 or $4,100.

Went to Hofner's website and according to them, McCartney's was a '62 500/1.
Hofner 500/1 Vintage '62 Violin Bass (http://www.hofner.com/gab/en/phpshop/43/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.zupf_flypage/product_id,54/category_id,10/)
Their German-made Vintage reissues of the '63 and '62 list at around $3G's & go new for around $2,100, checking out MF. They also have German-made versions of the 500/1 and other guitars for about 1/2 that price in their 'Contemporary' Series'.

Today, Hofner's making the reissue model in Asia.
EDIT 3-23 Not true. :confused: :thwap: Like I said above, the true Vintage reissues are 'the real deal'.

However, and not yet on Hofner's own website, they have thier own 'budget' line, made in China: the Icon Series. And while it's marketed as 'inspired by the original Beatle Bass', the Icon Series B-Bass, going for around $350 or $440 or so with case, isn't a truly faithful repro.

But nonetheless, it's still very, very decent and has 'the vibe' of Sir Paul's. At least to me. And that's another story, a topic of its own. :whatever:

p.s.: Gee, thanks for bringing this topic to (at least) my attention, Strum. :master:

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Scrounging under my bed....nothing but lint.

But it's VINTAGE!

just strum
March 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Holy Cow :thwap: That's got McCartney all over it. And probably a pricetag to match.
EDIT 3-23: I had a chance later on yesterday to check Vintage Guitar Mag's Price Guide when I went to buy some strings. A '63 500/1 in Excellent Condition has a price range of $3,300 to $4,000 or $4,100.

However, and not yet on Hofner's own website, they have thier own 'budget' line, made in China: the Icon Series. And while it's marketed as 'inspired by the original Beatle Bass', the Icon Series B-Bass, going for around $350 or $440 or so with case, isn't a truly faithful repro.

I was thinking about tracking down the woman and offering her a brand new one for her old beat up piece of firewood;) , but I would probably have to get her to throw in $150, so I don't take such a hit:D

Seriously, I hope she doesn't do anything to ruin that Hofner.

Now tot, how much you asking for that lint?

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
I was thinking about tracking down the woman and offering her a brand new one for her old beat up piece of firewood;) , but I would probably have to get her to throw in $150, so I don't take such a hit:D

Seriously, I hope she doesn't do anything to ruin that Hofner.

Now tot, how much you asking for that lint?
I'm happy no-one scammed her out of her ex-husbands treasure.

The lint?!? A mint '63 Hofner Violin Bass ;).

just strum
March 24th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I'm happy no-one scammed her out of her ex-husbands treasure.

The lint?!? A mint '63 Hofner Violin Bass ;).

I couldn't scam her, but I will always look for a great deal. As for this one, she wants to give it to her daughter (about 12 years old). I'm glad she was made aware of the value and maybe hold off on giving it to her daughter until she has a better understanding of the value, both monetarily and sentimentally.

Kazz
March 27th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Brian Wheat of Tesla swears by them....and he is a huge McCartney fan.

Brian Krashpad
March 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
There are actually possibly as many as a half-dozen guitars under my bed right now.

But none from 1963. :(

pie_man_25
April 2nd, 2008, 04:18 PM

Went to Hofner's website and according to them, McCartney's was a '62 500/1.
Hofner 500/1 Vintage '62 Violin Bass (http://www.hofner.com/gab/en/phpshop/43/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.zupf_flypage/product_id,54/category_id,10/)
Their German-made Vintage reissues of the '63 and '62 list at around $3G's & go new for around $2,100, checking out MF. They also have German-made versions of the 500/1 and other guitars for about 1/2 that price in their 'Contemporary' Series'.

Today, Hofner's making the reissue model in Asia.
EDIT 3-23 Not true. :confused: :thwap: Like I said above, the true Vintage reissues are 'the real deal'.

But nonetheless, it's still very, very decent and has 'the vibe' of Sir Paul's. At least to me. And that's another story, a topic of its own. :whatever:

p.s.: Gee, thanks for bringing this topic to (at least) my attention, Strum. :master:

I've played one of the "b-series" they really aren't half bad, other than the necks, they're pretty nice, I couldn't really plug it in, but it had a nice look to it