PDA

View Full Version : Tex Mex vs Texas Specials

coachj
March 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
I am considering either the Jimmy V or the Roadhouse Strat.
The JV of course has Tex Mex the Roadhouse has the Specials.

Which way would you go and why?

just strum
March 23rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Well it comes down to the one you like the most. I am considering a Roadhouse, but that was based on comparing a Powerhouse and Roadhouse. I like the tone the Roadhouse offers and the feel of the neck (modern C). I think the JV has a V neck and although some like the feel, it is a different.

Have you tried both the JV and Roadhouse? Is this what you've narrowed it down to or are these the only two that you've tried?

Justaguyin_nc
March 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I think another big difference will be which neck you may like better?
The Roadhouse having the C shape.
The Jimmie Vaughan having the soft V shape.

I fell in love with the JV neck...

I would suggest trying each out before the purchase if possible..
For sound and feel..

Edit: looks like Strum and I mentioned this at the same moment..:)
Go feel them... it probably will be the decision maker..:AOK:

ZMAN
March 23rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
One of the reasons I chose the 60th Ann. in Blizzard Pearl was that it was basically a JV with the C shaped neck and 3 ply guard. The Tex Mex are sweet pickups as well. There is only one choice of color in the Roadhouse, and the extra hot bridge pickup in the JV is another selling point. 100 dollars more at MF, and the V neck might be the only drawbacks for the JV.
As said before play them both if possible.

coachj
March 23rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
I have tried the Roadhouse. But not the JV. I keep looking around hoping for the opportunity.

Actually the Roadhouse has 3 color choices White, Black and Sunburst.

mrmudcat
March 23rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Yep more colors than one on the roadhouse and T.S are some great pups in my personal opinion!!:master: Cant go wrong either way but the lil xtra coin for alnico5 mags is worth it!(both sets use them);)

When I get a chance a lonestar will be added as I love P.G.'s and the combo option with the T.S.'s is awesome!:rockon:

Spudman
March 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
At store volume I thought the Texas Specials are awesome pickups. Really sweet sounding. I know that having them at the correct distance from the strings makes all the difference between sounding good or sounding bad.

The Tex Mex pickups at store volume didn't excite me in the same way. Which leads me to believe that at gig volume they are going to be just right. They'll have a bit more growl and sound thicker which in a room full of noisy people can made a big difference on you being satisfied with your guitar sound on a gig.

Still my preference is the Specials just cause they sound sweet. So Roadhouse.

Now the way I'd really do it is get the JV and put in the Special pickups just because I like the V neck.

ZMAN
March 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
I could only find the roadhouse on MF with one color. I looked on the Fender site (not very hard) and couldn't see it.
Do they all have the Tort pick guard?.

just strum
March 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
I could only find the roadhouse on MF with one color. I looked on the Fender site (not very hard) and couldn't see it.
Do they all have the Tort pick guard?.

Here you go.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0139312332

Edit: Yes, they all have what they call Brown Shell Pickguard

hubberjub
March 24th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Aren't the Tex-Mex pickups considered lower end? I know the Texas Specials were on SRV Strats.

sunvalleylaw
March 24th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I bought my 60th Ann. MIM largely due to the sound of the Tex Mex pups. I don't know about the Specials, but I love the sounds made by my PUPS.

stingx
March 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I think y'all know my take...

ZMAN
March 24th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks JS: The Roadhouse is very similar to my Deluxe Players strat in looks.
I really like that guitar.

just strum
March 24th, 2008, 10:52 AM
coachj,

After looking at all the comments, I don't think you can go wrong with the two you noted or a couple of others that were mentioned. As I noted in my first response, it all comes down to what you like.

Some things to consider:

1) If possible, take your amp with you to try them out - even the ones you already tried. It would be great if the store has an amp that is the same as yours.

2) Take a friend that plays - have them listen and give you some comments. Then let them play it and you stand back and listen.

Good luck and give us progress updates.

coachj
March 26th, 2008, 01:10 PM
STINGX
I think y'all know my take...

I don't.

stingx
March 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
STINGX

I don't.

I'm a huge fan of Fender Jimmie Vaughan Strats and Tex Mex pups.

just strum
March 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I'm a huge fan of Fender Jimmie Vaughan Strats and Tex Mex pups.

I'm a huge fan of your avatar.

coachj
May 20th, 2013, 10:12 PM
well after 5 years, i decided on and bought the American Special pictured here. It has Texas specials. Love it!
http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionLarge/Fender/DV016_Jpg_Large_1346078188158_A.jpg

ToddK
May 21st, 2013, 02:08 AM
Texas Specials all the way. I have them in my old strat plus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kw7TgQeEQA

Tig
May 21st, 2013, 01:06 PM
well after 5 years, i decided on and bought the American Special pictured here. It has Texas specials. Love it!

Welcome back stranger!

Nice choice. The American Special Tele's I've played sounded incredible with the Texas Special Tele pickups. They are the bar to compare with IMO.
If I play an American Special Strat, I might have to buy it! :D

duhvoodooman
May 21st, 2013, 01:51 PM
Texas Specials all the way. I have them in my old strat plus.
Same here. Never bonded with the Lace Sensor pickups that came in my '89 Strat Plus and changed to a set of Texas Specials.

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/Strat_new_black_body.jpg