PDA

View Full Version : Help on selecting a mixer!

abraxas
March 24th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hello all!

After a long absence I'm back; with a question, of all things! :D

I have decided to add a small scale analog mixer in my setup, for a number of reasons I will elaborate on later. My main requirements are:

At least 4 mic preamps with selectable phantom power
Direct outs on 4 channels at least
Ragged construction, able to withstand live usage
Ease of setup and use

I need what I’d call a “multi-function” mixer. It shall be used for recording, solo or session practice/songwriting as well as live gigs. This is what I have in mind:

Recording: I have a good multi-channel firewire recording interface. I intent to route at least four of the mixers channel direct outs to four inputs of the card. I seldom use more than 3 inputs at the same time and, anyway, the soundcard already has 2 high quality preamps. But it would be nice to have everything patched up semi-permanently. Also, the soundcard’s outputs shall be routed to the mixer and monitoring/playback shall be handled by the mixer’s controls.

Practice/Songwriting: I’d be able to route signals from the guitar amp(s), guitar synth (probably on a stereo channel), rhythm machine, bass DI, keyboards etc, etc to the mixers inputs and create either a main mix or a submix according to needs. Please note that (1) and (2) refer to (practically) two aspects of the same (home studio) setup.

Live: There is primary a need for handling my guitar signals in a trio live situation. Let me explain: I need my “main” guitar sound (one or two channels), the signal from my Roland GR-20 guitar synth and, perhaps, a piezo signal also. To complicate things even more, a looper pedal/rack needs to be connected to the mixer’s main aux/send (in order to be able to loop both the “guitar” and “synth” signals). My current looper is a Boss RC-2 and I’ll most probably have to upgrade to something “heavier” in the future, for live use… I’ve never done this live before and any feedback will be appreciated but that’s a totally different thread.

In any case, for live use, I was thinking of creating a stereo submix and sending this “already processed” to the main console, possibly setting up even my own monitoring through my mixer. Also for smaller venues, there might be even possible to only use our own mixer and connect directly to the house PA. In fact many clubs in town have inferior mixers than the ones I have in mind…

These are the requirements, now, on to the contestants: I have narrowed the selection between the Soundcraft Spirit M8 and Mackie 1642 VLZ3. Both seem more than capable of fulfilling my current and future needs.

http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sh...?product_id=24
http://www.mackie.com/products/1642vlz3/

Has anyone any experience with these mixers? Pros and cons? The Mackie is more expensive than the Soundcraft, do you think it’s worth it, considering my scenario? Also, if you think there is some other mixer I should consider, please do so.

Thank you!

markb
March 24th, 2008, 03:15 PM
The Mackie is better featured (multi bus, more flexible assignment) but the Soundcraft has the luxury of longer faders. I'd say the Mackie was the more versatile recording desk while the Soundcraft is a good bet for live use where multiple bus assignments can just be confusing (it's handy to have a sub for drums though if you mike them). Those are my thoughts but, from your criteria I'd say the Mackie is what you're after.

tot_Ou_tard
March 24th, 2008, 06:07 PM
On this side of the pond the Mackie is $110 US cheaper.

Soundcraft: $760
Mackie: $650

Plank_Spanker
March 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
We use a Mackie CFX20 board. It has been plenty used and plenty abused........................and we've never had a problem with it.

Mackie might not be the absolute best, but it's a great bang for the buck. I would not hesitate to buy a Mackie board.