PDA

View Full Version : Getting back to an old friend.......

Plank_Spanker
March 24th, 2008, 08:32 PM
A few weeks ago, I decided to refurb my Double Fat Strat. For over 5 years it was my number one guitar, but I've barely touched it in the past year and a half. I took it out to band practice tonight and immediately remembered why I love this guitar...........................it was like meeting an old best friend and picking up right where we left off............

I'm taking it to Friday night's gig. :D

Spudman
March 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Spank it good.:rockon:
What does it look like? Got any pictures?

ZMAN
March 25th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Hey Spudman: I have the same feeling. It seems I go in cycles. But I seem to always return to my humbucker guitars. After a while the single coils just seem too brittle. It is kind of funny that two of the really big strat guys, Clapton, and Buddy Guy both have mid boost circuits that (to me) sound like humbuckers! I also think it has a lot to do with set up and playability. You always seem to play better and easier with a well set up guitar.

Spudman
March 25th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Hey Spudman: I have the same feeling. It seems I go in cycles. But I seem to always return to my humbucker guitars. After a while the single coils just seem too brittle. It is kind of funny that two of the really big strat guys, Clapton, and Buddy Guy both have mid boost circuits that (to me) sound like humbuckers! I also think it has a lot to do with set up and playability. You always seem to play better and easier with a well set up guitar.

My mid boosts are the Hot British and the ZYS, but I still love my old friends the Strats for their "thing" that you have to work to get. Fortunately I have two humbucker guitars that have Strat like feel and sounds. Go figure. I'd love to hear what Planky's double sounds like.:poke:

Plank_Spanker
March 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Spank it good.:rockon:
What does it look like? Got any pictures?

Here it is..........

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/DoubleFatStrat.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_0048_0001.jpg

The guitar sounds great. It has a Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge that has plenty of bite, and a '59 in the neck that is as smooth as the day is long. They sound good split, with no appreciable volume loss.

Lots of notes played on this guitar.....................................:D