PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Phat Cats?

hubberjub
March 24th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I'm planning on replacing the stock humbuckers in my Heritage H535 with Seymour Duncan Phat Cats. They are humbucker size P-90 pickups. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any help would be appreciated.

Spudman
March 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I haven't ever played them but expressed my curiosity in a previous thread. I thought they sounded good on the demo video.

hubberjub
March 24th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah. Everyone I speak to has heard good things about them but has no first hand experience with them. I am interested in either the Phat Cats or TV Jones Powertrons. Neither of which are very common pickups.

tot_Ou_tard
March 25th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Jim has them in his Hamer Newport...hopefully he'll be along shortly.

It's hard to find clips of them.

jpfeifer
March 28th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Yes, I have a Hamer Newport which the PhatCat pickups were originally designed for. I can't say enough good things about these pickups, especially in this particular guitar.

They kind of cross the bridge between a humbucker and single coil. At times they sound humbucker-like and other times more single coil in character.

They are very sensitive to your picking dynamics, which makes them a great choice for blues playing, etc.

To me they have all the character that you would want from a P90 pickup but the warmth of a Humbucker. If you want to hear what they sound like just listen to some of the songs I have posted on Sound Click. All of the electric lead sounds on these tracks were recorded with the Newport.

I think that they would sound great in a 335-style guitar.

-- Jim