PDA

View Full Version : The great speaker debacle.........

mrmudcat
March 25th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Ok I figure this needed its own thread .............

My vintage speakers came yesterday ups.On the side of the box is two puncture wounds.Inside one speaker is demolished to bit .No tears ,rips but plain outright assault= cone in 50 pieces:thwap: The other is salvageable hopefully.So of course I was pissed went racing out the door with the boys in tow chasing the ups man down:rockon: Got a mile down the road and got pulled over by a state trooper at 71:AOK: So now im out $100 for speakers $200 for speeding ticket and I got one used repaired speaker................If ups denies this claim you will be seeing me in the news!!:flamemad:

Katastrophe
March 25th, 2008, 06:59 AM
That sucks, man. I hope that either UPS or the seller makes good.

bigoldron
March 25th, 2008, 12:10 PM
That bites a royal big one. Apparently, the trooper wasn't too sympathetic, either. Music Hater! Even if Oops (I mean UPS) makes good on it, it's still not the same as having 2 WORKING speakers. Good luck, Brother!

sunvalleylaw
March 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Yes, very frustrating. Another example of the lack of personal care and pride in business caused in large part, I think, by how corporate america is set up. If you are just a replaceable worker bee at McDonald's or the like, how much pride do you take in your job?

Bloozcat
March 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Yes, very frustrating. Another example of the lack of personal care and pride in business caused in large part, I think, by how corporate america is set up. If you are just a replaceable worker bee at McDonald's or the like, how much pride do you take in your job?

"The tightest ship in the shipping business". Reminds me of another self professed accolade relating to shipping... the "unsinkable Titanic".

sunvalleylaw
March 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
"The tightest ship in the shipping business". Reminds me of another self professed accolade relating to shipping... the "unsinkable Titanic".

Yeah, it is too bad. I had college friends work for UPS back in the 80s and 90s and though they worked hard, they were paid decently, treated well, and took pride in what they did. Bummer that seems to have changed, at least based on the anecdotal experiences told here.

Tone2TheBone
March 25th, 2008, 02:01 PM
That sucks. Sorry man. You opened the box after you noticed the puncture wounds?

mrmudcat
March 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Tone yes I just had to look,this is what caused a grown man to cry:cry: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7029/bronks061rr7.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5038/bronks062ec5.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1961/bronks063vj2.jpg

Tone2TheBone
March 25th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Tone yes I just had to look,this is what caused a grown man to cry:cry: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7029/bronks061rr7.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5038/bronks062ec5.jpg

I hear ya. Not to pour salt on an open wound mind you but since reading the instructions on the shipping box that Martin sent when I got my acoustic in the mail I'm going to start inspecting all packages I receive from USPS, UPS, Fedex, DHL everyone...from now on...before I open anything. Sucks having to wait for stuff in the mail as it is and then have to go through the process of dealing with a damage claim. My heart goes out to you. :(

mrmudcat
March 25th, 2008, 03:23 PM
One thing it was packed by a ups store so chances are ill get the $100 ins for the claim.Or atleast im kidding myself into thinking this matters.How do you find another rare speaker though.35 years that thing made it with original cone ,5 mins with ups :reallymad:

luvmyshiner
March 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I've shipped, or had shipped, guitars by USPS, DHL, Fed Ex and UPS. The only carrier that has ever damaged a guitar was UPS. And they've managed to damage to some extent both of the guitars they shipped to me.

I remember when my first Centura got damaged, Bigoldron kinda hit the nail on the head when he commented that it wasn't just the fact that the goods were damaged, it was that they destroyed a really sweet ax. I think the same thing applies here. They destroyed some vintage speakers that are a limited commodity. There's only a finite number of them out there and it's not like they can be replaced that easily. Money's not the issue, just show a little care for something that doesn't belong to you and should be respected.

sunvalleylaw
March 25th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Man, that is just ugly. I can't believe they had the gall to deliver it like that.

strumsalot
March 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I remember when my first Centura got damaged, Bigoldron kinda hit the nail on the head when he commented that it wasn't just the fact that the goods were damaged, it was that they destroyed a really sweet ax. I think the same thing applies here. They destroyed some vintage speakers that are a limited commodity. There's only a finite number of them out there and it's not like they can be replaced that easily. Money's not the issue, just show a little care for something that doesn't belong to you and should be respected.

I think this is a plain and simple lack of respect for property that doesn't belong to them.

What can brown do for you?:mad:

Childbride
March 25th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Mud, duuuuuude...

o, i could cry. that just stinks on ice. my heart bleeds for ya, buddy. i know from personal experience the despondence that my husband [and myself, i was so jazzed about the arrival] went through with the first d'aquisto...

and it's been said before on this thread... one of the basic principles of contract law is to make the injured party whole. giving your money back does not make you whole when the item in question is a rarity... :flamemad:

just strum
March 25th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Mud, I cannot believe the damage that was done - I'm assuming you are sending those photos to UPS.

Well, I noted yesterday that I have had great results with UPS, but this may be a case where I should learn from other peoples mishaps. Plus if I ever posted pictures of future freight being damaged by UPS, I would certainly get hit with a hell of a lot of "I warned you".

So it probably will be FedEx or one of the others for me.

WackyT
March 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM
That totally stinks, Mud! Especially done to something as rare as those speakers were.

luvmyshiner
March 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Ooops. I actually have a correction to make. Strum, I forgot that you sent CB's EA20 via UPS, and it arrived safely. But you did do a helluva packing job.:beer:

tot_Ou_tard
March 25th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Jeez H! That sucks hard!

You & Wing have got me shellshocked.

Go find something you don't mind destroying paint UPS on the side in crappy 3-year old writing & kick it to bits.

Well, it *might* help.

Good luck bro.

Bloozcat
March 26th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I've been pretty fortunate with UPS, I guess. I've never had to file a claim personally, although I did once in business. They settled that claim quickly and very satisfactorily. But I did a LOT of business with them then, so they probably thought it wise to take care of me.

I know a guy who's had the absolute worst luck with shipments from UPS. The worst case was when he found a guitar on his doorstep with a broken neck. There were tire tracks on the box that matched the tire tread pattern on the UPS trucks -which is certainly different from passenger car and light truck tire treads. He matched the treads marks on the box to those left in his dirt driveway by the UPS delivery truck. Still, UPS tried to deny his claim. It wasn't until he told them that he was going to take the evidence to his lawyer that UPS agreed to pay the claim.