PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Live for live guitar lessons?

Robert
March 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Check out Yahoo Live - I set up an account there at http://live.yahoo.com/dolphinstreet

Wondering if it would work for some simple webcam guitar lessons.

If anyone here is interesting in trying, let me know. We could do a little test sometime. I usually have a little bit of time in the late evenings.

This chat tool seems very good and fast. Take a look at my channel!

Justaguyin_nc
March 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I have gotten mixed results.. the webcam on my desktop is not recognized.. the toneport is not recognized, so it defaults to my creative lab which has nothing running thru it..

on my laptop though the acer webcam comes across but the audio feedsback terribly.. working on that..

would be nice for live chat type though while you did a lesson

Justaguyin_nc
March 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM
for the heck of it...going to keep a webcam pointed at the tv today.. for those wishing to see ANYTHING thru it while robert sets up.. Im still working on audio, maybe MACs will be easier...

Got audio and video working with laptop...

the downside for me..toneport not recognized..
But for what Robert wants to do with lessons
while we ask questions typing in chat it should work wonderfully.

Justaguyin_nc
March 25th, 2008, 09:15 PM
well that was interesting..
Robert got on with a MAC and it worked!

I learned all his secrets in one setting!!

I play geetar just like him now.. thanks Robert!

Actualy, it was very cool.. I don't think you even need a Yahoo account to join the channel.. nice chat session.. no cam needed either.. ofcourse speakers help to hear robert..:)

Hope you keep using it Robert.. would be nice for live chats and get your opinion on things..

sunvalleylaw
March 25th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I logged on after you all were done, and got my image from my cam to show up in a few minutes. I can't tell if anyone else would have been able to see, but it said I was broadcasting. I was able to enter some comments on the chat, but I missed everyone by about 10-15 minutes. I would like to join one coming up! Keep me posted! Thanks Robert. And thanks Justa for hopping in and participating.

Robert
March 25th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for joining me on Yahoo Live!
It was a good learning experience for me too.

I'd like to try and use this more in the future. The problem may be that it's could be hard for me to plan a session well in advance. Which means people may not be aware of that I'm on there.

I'd glad to hear if you have ideas on how this could be used. One thing that came to mind is if people liked any my lessons but wanted more clarification or explanation, I could cover that in an online webcam session.

I thought Yahoo Live worked quite good tonight. Not so much lagging and audio quite clear. Yahoo usually create good stuff. And they didn't sell out to Microsoft, *cough, cough*.

Robert
March 26th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Later in the evening, we experienced some lagging problems. Wonder if this could be because more people are online later in the evenings? It worked better earlier in the evening.

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah, it was hit and miss later. I have found that with some other sites like myspace later at night. I am no expert. Otherwise it was really cool and I would like to try again.

Justaguyin_nc
March 26th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I left the laptop running on it most the nite checking out other sights..

Umm.. anyways.. it seems to work fine for some and lagging for others..

One channel had up to 100 people at a time with hip hop music and the chat was not great.. but..
it worked.. and even with other cams running in the bottom.

Maybe a sticky note or something visible here on the fret so we know when your there online Robert?

ted s
March 26th, 2008, 09:59 AM
that was pretty cool, I was on briefly as zrrufas, audio and video was pretty darn good on my end Robert. I was on my iMac, click and go.

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I also hopped on with my iMac and was up and running quickly. The audio started developing gaps and lags later on, similar to the web cast on Krashpad's gig several weeks back. It never completely cut out or disconnected. It was pretty cool, and we should try again. I think SKYPEwould also work similarly, but I know from experience that sometimes Skype has the same issues with gaps/lags in vid and audio. My paralegal uses it to videoconference with her daughter in Australia, and it generally works great, but sometimes can have the gaps/lags. It seems to be variable, and I think must be a function of internet somehow. More technical than that I cannot get.

Spudman
March 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM
well that was interesting..
Robert got on with a MAC and it worked!

I learned all his secrets in one setting!!

I play geetar just like him now.. thanks Robert!

Really?! Woa dude I gotta try it then too.

Justaguyin_nc
March 27th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Really?! Woa dude I gotta try it then too.

But ofcourse you do..Im sure you could learn something...
:beer:

mark wein
March 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Check out Yahoo Live - I set up an account there at http://live.yahoo.com/dolphinstreet

Wondering if it would work for some simple webcam guitar lessons.

If anyone here is interesting in trying, let me know. We could do a little test sometime. I usually have a little bit of time in the late evenings.

This chat tool seems very good and fast. Take a look at my channel!

Very cool! I'm sorry I missed this...I actually did the same thing on my site Tuesday night using "Userplane" for 3-4 of my students...results were mixed...the audio was pretty good but the video doesn't look as nice as Yahoo...

Blaze
April 6th, 2008, 10:15 PM
How about living a schedule on the Fretnet to let us know when you re broadcasting.

Ciao

blazes:AOK:

Robert
April 7th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Yeah, maybe I'll find some time next weekend. I'll let you all know.

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Looks like I have a few minutes this evening, for a change. Anyone want to hook up on http://live.yahoo.com/dolphinstreet right now? I'll show you my secret chords. :)

Get a Yahoo account so you can type questions in the chat.

Childbride
April 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM
wow, how cool! i have to admit, my husband and my byproxy are the computer geniuses. what would i need to get set up and how do i play? and could this be expanded so that my 'fledgling study group' could get together and share ideas, tips, et al?

[... i suppose i could go in the other room to ask him personally but he's caught up in boston legal] :)

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Mark Wein is there with me right now. Just go there and you should be able to see us, Childbride.

Childbride
April 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Mark Wein is there with me right now. Just go there and you should be able to see us, Childbride.

[immediate problem] this is a transition computer i'm typing on, i don't have a web cam or a sound card in this computer. so i could see you, potentially, but not hear you or play for you. so i see the obvious, but i need pointers... the byproxy has our other computer to work on, but you know young men, they have lots of stuff to do. :D

warren0728
April 30th, 2008, 08:44 PM
guess i was too late....just went there and got a not broadcasting message...

ww

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I think it works best if people type in questions and I play something. So you wouldn't need a video cam, but audio would be necessary.

I am still online there. I will post a message here again when I leave.

Childbride
April 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
i'll get on it... sounds like a really nifty thing!! and you are a darned cool guy for helping us like this! :master: :master: :master:

[but we already knew that, didn't we] :D

on a side note, i play an impromptu concert of my set list learned thusfar for a handful of family members tomorrow, so i can get some more performance experience. ;)

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I don't see any people on there though... come on guys!

warren0728
April 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM
just went there again and got a not broadcasting notice....here is a screen shot...

ww

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_35481931ab76bf5.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=468)

Algonquin
April 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Yup... I get the same as Warren - 'Not Broadcasting'

But I do see Mark Wein is online... that's about it I'm afraid.

David

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Have patience, stay on there for a few minutes, warren.

warren0728
April 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM
ok i see you playing robert and that mark is online but don't see where i can interact....might be a mac/safari ting?

ww

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm there with Safari right now. You need a Yahoo account in order to type in the chat.

warren0728
April 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM
i have a yahoo account and keep logging in but i still don't see any chat....can you see me? i only see mark

ww

warren0728
April 30th, 2008, 09:30 PM
i can see and hear you...it shows i am logged in but i cannot chat....i see in grey at the top that it is connecting to the chat server but it has been a few minutes and i still can not chat

ww :whatever:

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM
You must log in with your yahoo account - are you doing that?

sunvalleylaw
April 30th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I got signed in and could chat fine Warren, on safari and mac. Worked fine until audio slowed down and started clipping oout. I also was able to broadcast, but that was after audio had slowed and robert had trouble hearing me too.

warren0728
April 30th, 2008, 09:54 PM
You must log in with your yahoo account - are you doing that?
i am....and it shows me as logged in but then when it starts connecting to the chat server i get a message saying i need to login...although i already am....

ww

Robert
April 30th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks for trying it out. I am shutting it down now, time for bed.

warren0728
April 30th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I got signed in and could chat fine Warren, on safari and mac. Worked fine until audio slowed down and started clipping oout. I also was able to broadcast, but that was after audio had slowed and robert had trouble hearing me too.
frustrating....i'm running the latest version of safari....

ww

warren0728
April 30th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks for trying it out. I am shutting it down now, time for bed.
wish i could have chatted...will do a little research and see if i can figure out what the problem is/was....

ww

sunvalleylaw
April 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I am on 3.1 on a late '07 brushed aluminum imac. I wonder what was going on on your end?

warren0728
April 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM
not sure...i'm on 3.1.1 on a powerbook with osx 10.4.11

it showed that i was logged in and i could hear and see robert but the chat area never worked.... :mad:

ww

sunvalleylaw
April 30th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I am on 10.5.2, and it says 3.1(5525.13) for safari, whatever that means. It seems to work fine, both times i have tried, but the infrastructure for transmitting the vid/audio seems to get bogged down.

warren0728
April 30th, 2008, 10:18 PM
it was strange....i was logged in...it showed me as logged in....but when it tried to connect to the chat server i got a message asking if i wanted to login to use chat....i would login again but then when connecting to the chat server i would get the same message again.... :whatever: :confused:

ww

sunvalleylaw
April 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
once it showed you logged in, did it show a chat box with a send button?
go do it now. I just logged on again just to see.

sumitomo
May 1st, 2008, 07:18 AM
I watched some last night(I have no camera)but it seemed to me Id hear you play then a couple seconds later I could see where you played sorry this makes no sense I mean a delay the sound was not in time with what the picture was doing and I have a cable hookup.Mark on the other hand was playing Guitars and the sound and motion was in time.Did anyone else notice this? Sumi :D