PDA

View Full Version : The wierdest dream leads to a revelation...sorta.

LagrangeCalvert
March 25th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Suppose for a moment, we were completly aware of the future; When we would die, when our species would die, or when what our species becomes would become echoes and dream.....gone. Suppose the end of the human race was a LOT closer than any of us could imagine. Also....suppose I am completly wrong - this is a better possibility than any...but this is just a thought string I cannot get out of my head.

Math - in theory - is right all of the time. So statistics with this great logic we have called math is in essence "infallable". But if your theories are wrong to begin with, then your math means squat. I digress.

Lets talk about population. Sheer numbers..... dictate odds. 10:1 for instance arent bad odds....but by far arent great odds. 100:1 - odds I’d rather not have. 1K:1 or even a Trillion to one....... again I digress. This was just to get you to THINK about odds, probabilities....things that could happen as opposed to what will happen.

Lets say I put "YOUR NAME" on a ping pong ball and pour either 10 or 1,000 blank balls in a container that spits them out one at a time......and then when you draw at random you pull out yours on the third or fourth try..... dumb luck you would say if there were a thousand......but if there were only ten you would say the odds were better....probabilities were set a little better for you....... This is to get you to think a little harder......thinking yet?

Lets talk about the future shall we?

We know that our population is an exponential curve that is skyrocketing to no end. We might go screwing until the population crashes and we ruin the planet ( I doubt it) OR we might figure out how to manage our numbers and never make it off the Earth (a possible scenario) .....then again, if your like me you have always felt other eyes looking down on you in space.....we might reach the stars and our population will be in the trillions of trillions one day in a billion or trillion years (The most likely scenario.....IF.....) .....I know this can make your head spin but stay with me here and keep thinking about all the things I have already written.....

Think.... in the history of the world in any of these scenarios THE VAST MAJORITY OF HUMANS HAVE NOT YET BEEN BORN.....If we don’t kill ourselves/blow ourselves up, the planet and its inhabitants could easily live for another billion years naturally - that is before the sun expands into a red giant and engulfs the Earth. I digress.

Suppose the third Graph is right.....we escape the clutches of this planet and populate the stars..... In our galaxy alone there are four hundred billion stars... With planets that will be habitable for more than a mere billion years... suppose our future humans or whatever they would be then would have a populace in the trillions......... Confused yet....... good....... so here is a summation of this thought string.

Probabilities and odds can dictate possible outcomes.... so why would I have you play the ping pong ball game? Have you ever wondered why you were here - NOW. Ever asked yourself why am I alive during this time?

The reason I feel were doomed is probability. Odds are IF we became a space fearring race, we - any of us...your friends for that matter too WOULD NOT BE BORN DURING THIS TIME! Think about the sheer odds of "If we humans survived into the far future, why wasn’t I born during that era/time?"

So you see where I am going with this? The odds of not being born in a far future are dumbfounding. Its a google of a percent, that if we were to become a space fearring people, that we would be born at this time in history.

Therefore I believe we would be better off to look at how we can better ourselves, our planet and our tech. so IF all of us are the google of a percent, we give those born in the far future a chance.

Kodiak3D
March 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Whoa...deep.

player
March 25th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Deep Indeed - glad he got it out of his head.now mine is going round n round:thwap:

Spudman
March 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Probabilities and odds can dictate possible outcomes.... so why would I have you play the ping pong ball game? Have you ever wondered why you were here - NOW. Ever asked yourself why am I alive during this time?

I don't know about you Tonto but I'm here to play as much ping pong as I can.:D That's why I'm alive... oh, and to collect guitars too.

But also, this thing you call "you" might be able to take an infinite number of available life forms. So whether it's a human or bacteria or a life form higher than human either way I'm not worried in the least. The odds of being born in the far distant future are actually quite good just probably not as a human as we know them.

Thanks for the provoking thought.:AOK:

Tone2TheBone
March 26th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I will comment on this by quoting my late brother in law...

"life varies". - DM

...and yeah it is "deep" indeed. My personal comment says it's the "luck of the draw". Which is somewhat similar to what my BIL used to say.

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Odds are IF we became a space fearring race, we - any of us...your friends for that matter too WOULD NOT BE BORN DURING THIS TIME!
:rotflmao: Space is my friend, I do not fear it. :rotflmao:

I know you meant spacefaring.

The very fact that you exist is highly improbable. That improbability "probably" dwarfs the difference between us & the early humans.

Those into reincarnation would say that you do exist in the future, but there is a numbers trouble with that scenario as well. Unless new souls are being created you must exist exponentially many times in the same time period in a hypothetical exponentially larger population. The creation of new souls just pushes the improbability from humans onto souls.

The idea that there are multiple simultaneous yous would blur the idea of an individual soul. A casual glance at reincarnation seems to lead directly to everyone being expressions of one thing.

I do not know where a thoughtful pondering leads... but madness is high on the list of possibilities ;).

So there is the the possibility that we are all one & it's like the difference in probability that you & your neighboring cells in a body are nose hair cells. It's small (unless you are an old man) but somebody's got to do it.

If we are all one thing, that one thing sure likes to have identity crises. I'd say some meds were in order.

You forgot the possibility of the population levelling off, so any one time period is not any more likely than another. I don't know what mechanism would counteract the evident hots sentient beings have for each other.

Things get much richer & exponentially more confusing if one allows for the concept of multiple universes which are entwined via quantum mechanics or perhaps a deeper yet unknown theory of everything.

The Eschaton often threatens to happen, but hasn't yet. Perhaps it's time or maybe not ;).

:rotflmao: The odds are that you're still dreaming...WAKE UP! :rotflmao: