PDA

View Full Version : Interesting GC Experience

marnold
March 25th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I'm on vacation at my in-laws' in MN. Besides sucking Summit and gin (separately) I also visited the local Guitar Center tonight. To my surprise, I hear a guy playing some funk! A row over I plug in a Geddy Lee Jazz bass into a cheap Peavey and bust out the licks I could remember. The main one was the lick to "Play That Funky Music". Suddenly I realize that that guy has picked up on my riffing and is playing along. Later I went up to talk to him and he was gone. Sadly, once again I was unable to play any Metallica riffs for Jimi since I don't know any.

Besides that experience, I also learned that I like a bridge J pickup a lot, but the neck (middle?) one leaves something to be desired. I think the P&J pickup combo would be the thing for me. Actually, I figured that already, but this basically confirmed it. It confirmed my love for the narrower Jazz-style neck too. Also the Peavey ampf (a 158?) was surprisingly nice for a very cheap ampf. Would do the trick for practice/bedroom playing.

Spudman
March 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM
On a bass binge now? ;)

A real cool but discontinued small bass amph is the Peavey Minx. Look for a used one. They are the cat's meow for a small versatile bass amph. When do we get to see your new bass? :poke: :D

Tone2TheBone
March 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM
J Basses rock! Utilize the volume knobs...(on both pups)

marnold
March 26th, 2008, 08:19 AM
On a bass binge now? ;)
Well, I've wanted to get one for some time. It was fun. I'm trying to find a Peavey Zodiac BXP to try but no one seems to carry them.

I also played a plain MIM Tele through a Valve Jr. and liked that quite a bit. I also played a Nashville Tele. Messed around with a Schecter bass too but didn't like it as well as the Geddy--of course the Geddy was $200 more.

I also rediscovered that there isn't a guitar out there that I've tried in anything close to my price range that I like as well as my Floyd and Fender. Granted, I've got it set up just the way I like it too.

Spudman
March 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Well, I've wanted to get one for some time. It was fun. I'm trying to find a Peavey Zodiac BXP to try but no one seems to carry them.

Peavey does make some good basses. I tried 2 of them today the Grind and Millenium I think and a Dean too. Seemed like they were all made in the same factory. I liked the feel but didn't plug them in.