PDA

View Full Version : Epi Les Paul Fret Problem

WelcomeBack
April 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM
It seems the fret problem is getting worse. It's about 2 years old and multiple frets are popping up at the edges and buzzing like crazy:( A few were fixed, outside the 30 day return policy in the first year and now there are more:mad:

I took it to a good tech here in Houston, TX (Ron Pace) and his recommendation was a refret...but first he would check with Epiphone/Gibson to see what was covered under warranty, cuz it's a $200+ fix:eek: He didn't seem too confident that warranty would cover it.

Anyone with similar problems?? I'm trying to research my options if the warranty does not cover it.

* Fix a few and see, Hmmm.
* Refret and drop the $200 (Already paid $500, whats another $200)
* Sell and get maybe....a Gibson Les Paul Studio???

Decisions, Decisions!

Thanks
Paul

ZoSo65
April 8th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I'd refret it, just make sure to get quality wire, your tech will know ;)

Unless you want to get a new guitar :rolleyes: I hate making decisions like that,,LOL

Spudman
April 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
If it's fairly new (1-4 yrs.) I would just fix the problem ones. Like you say a refret is expensive. However, a really good tech could just take care of the problem spots for you and help make sure others don't arise. The frets them selves should still be good at that age and there is no need to replace all of them. Just deal with the problem of them coming out. Whose to say that a refret wouldn't do the same thing?

r_a_smith3530
April 13th, 2006, 11:32 PM
If this guitar was popping out frets early on, I would really press for Epiphone to "step up to the plate" and participate heavily on a complete refret. It sounds like there may have been a problem with the neck, like possibly the wood was not dry enough at the time the guitar was built, or it was prepped incorrectly.

Has this guitar gone through major, sudden climate changes ever? Also, have you ever "oiled" the fretboard? Just curious...

WelcomeBack
April 15th, 2006, 06:55 AM
It's been with the tech for a week and haven't heard anything...to answer your ?s,

No, it hasn't gone thru major climate changes, other than summer/winter/summer (it's still unknown whether Houston has a spring or fall), but it's always stored indoors. Other than dusting and wiping clean during string changes, I haven't oiled the fret board.

I'm going to call today. I gave the tech my purchase info so I don't have the serial number handy, but YES I agree that Epiphone should "step up" and stand behind their product.

Thanks for the response.
Paul

Plank_Spanker
October 2nd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Frets popping out at the edges are a tell-tale sign of the the fretboard drying out and shrinking.

Spudman
October 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Have you tried contacting the Epiphone company directly? I always go to the head of the line with my problems. Most companies are eager to keep customers and get new ones from great referrals. Might not hurt.

WelcomeBack
October 22nd, 2006, 08:13 AM
Epiphone asked me to send it back and they replaced it!!!!

Very quick turn-around. The guitar looks sweet, very nice color....darker and deeper. A little lighter, which my back will appreciate.

It needs some setting up. But I'm happy.

Now all I need is new pickups.
Paul

Plank_Spanker
October 22nd, 2006, 08:23 AM
Excellent!

Good customer service stories give me a warm fuzzy...............:D

fendermojoman
February 11th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Boy is your problem Deja vue ! I had an Epi problem just like yours and it rapidly got worse. Don't know if the Koreans can't cure wood or what!
Here's a simple remedy I found to fix it . . . .
I bought myself and Agile AL3000, talk about quality the Epi can't touch!
Ebony Fretboard with professional quality dressed fretboard, Ablone inlays and a finish to die for! I sold the Epi for about half what I paid for it. It was the second "bad" Epi for me and the final one too.:D

Spudman
February 11th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I thankfully got a good Epi from the mid 1990's.
You are totally right about the Agile though. Epi quality is far below the Agile and price is nearly equal. I'd go Agile myself next time I need a Les Paul.