PDA

View Full Version : bridge "formula"

evenkeel
March 26th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I'm going to lower the saddle on one of my acoustics. I've done this many times, but have always done it by "feel". Place a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and sand the bottom of the saddle back and forth until I get the height I want. I'll often blacken the bottom with a black sharpie to give me a visual reference. When it's "close" to done, string her up, then see if I need to take it down more or leave it alone. Usually a 2-3 three step process.

I'm sure I remember there is a better way to determine how much to remove. As in if you want to lower the string height at the 12th. fret "X", reduce the saddle height "Y".

Anybody, (dreadman????) know what I'm talking about and can save me from myself. :confused:

Thanks

just strum
March 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM
You measure it at the 12th fret and let's say you want to lower it 1/16", you would sand 1/8" off the bottom of the saddle. In other words, sand twice as much as you want to lower the strings at the 12th fret.

evenkeel
March 26th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Duh!!! :thwap: I feel a bit dopey. But, it's nice and simple. Even I can handle that kind of formula.

Thanks

just strum
March 26th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Duh!!! :thwap: I feel a bit dopey. But, it's nice and simple. Even I can handle that kind of formula.

Thanks

This is probably one of the best websites Dreadman recommended to me and it really helps with acoustic set-up.

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html

scroll down a little and you will find all the topics.

evenkeel
March 27th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Strum,
Thanks for the web pointer. Very helpful.

I just finished lowering the saddle on not one, but two acoustics. So much easier and the results are perfect. Way better than the hunt and peck method.