PDA

View Full Version : Soundtrack/movie that started it.

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2008, 07:55 PM
This Dogtown clip, a raw, not as edited clip that differs a bit from the original, shows exactly what re-awoke in me an interest in classic rock and more guitar specific music. Check what the two first songs included in the soundtrack are and recall what I started talking about in terms of music when I got here. Oh, and it also has my favorite Hendrix tune!

mqPkzLyT3d8

I was way into the magazine articles that formed the basis for this documentary about 70's skateboarding and the new vertical movement born in empty pools. Even if you don't like skateboarding, I bet you would enjoy this documentary. The music alone is worth it. :AOK:

Tone2TheBone
March 27th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Dog Town Rulez ese'! During my skating dayz I'd pump some classics through my 8 D size battery 8 track player while rippin' it on my Alva board on homemade ramps!

Look at those guys man! God I feel old.

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Yep, I knew you would post. We discussed Dogtown and Z-Boys before, but I had not seen the link. I needed something playing in a small window on the screen while I went over bank statements late last night getting taxes ready, and thought I'd share. When I first watched this film, the Jay segment really caught my attention. I had not thought about "Old Man" in years, and it just hit me. Then I kept exploring everything else on the soundtrack and it got me back into a lot of harder classic rock I had just forgotten about.

My buddies and I would try to copy some of the moves on anything we could find, but there were no empty pools in Tacoma, WA for us to skate. We jumped curbs, practiced our brody turns, did our 360's, etc., but never went true vert. There was the time I tried to put up a waterski style rooster tail brodying my board through a big puddle while holding a ski rope tied to a buddy's bike. That didn't work out to well. LOL!! I still have that old board and ride it to the bank and Post Office sometime in summer from my office. (Watch out! Lawyer on a skateboard!)

It is the same board I rode to law school classes back in the 80's and I built it out of oak in a summer wood shop class way back then, because of these guys.

Tone2TheBone
March 27th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I wore out 2 Alva boards and one Powell/Perelta double beamer. They were shredded up until you couldn't stand on them anymore. I think I still have my original Sims board in the shed somewhere.

We were lucky that the skateboarding craze hit here. We had 2 official skate parks in town. Never knew anyone with a pool so I got lucky with the parks. I was even on tv once when they opened one of them near the airport.

Spudman
March 27th, 2008, 09:10 AM
When I saw the latest Dogtown movie I really liked it. This original documentary really gets to me because I think back on my youth and go "what if" all the time. Rock and roll was fun and when agents and managers and club owners came around I didn't want anything to do with them. I just wanted to play my guitar. Maybe if I would have been a little more savvy to the business....? Who knows?

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I wore out 2 Alva boards and one Powell/Perelta double beamer. They were shredded up until you couldn't stand on them anymore. I think I still have my original Sims board in the shed somewhere.

We were lucky that the skateboarding craze hit here. We had 2 official skate parks in town. Never knew anyone with a pool so I got lucky with the parks. I was even on tv once when they opened one of them near the airport.

It would be fun to skate around sometime. You would be more advanced, but it would be fun. We have good parks here, designed by the hot park designers out of Portland, OR. I have tried a little, but true vert is still a bit lofty for me on concrete. The halfpipe made out of snow, when I have two long boards helping fore/aft balance strapped to my feet help me be a little more aggressive.

When I saw the latest Dogtown movie I really liked it. This original documentary really gets to me because I think back on my youth and go "what if" all the time. Rock and roll was fun and when agents and managers and club owners came around I didn't want anything to do with them. I just wanted to play my guitar. Maybe if I would have been a little more savvy to the business....? Who knows?

yeah, that part of this clip from the documentary is pretty interesting. Peralta who capitalized the best giving his thoughts on who he thought was the best skater, and Jay's reaction to what happened. In clicking on related vids last night, I see Jay has participated in a anti-drug skate movie called D.O.P.E, standing for Dead or Prison Eventually, that also has a Christian message. It includes also Bruce Logan, Dennis Martinez, and Christian Hosoi, who also had their problems.

http://www.dopethemovie.org/