PDA

View Full Version : any place for jazz fan around here?

evergreen
March 26th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hi all,

I am almost 30 and I've been playing guitar for 16 years. At first I tried to play rock on Hamer-like strat. It wasn't actually a piece of that brand, just a fake but the sound was quite pleasant and the mahogany fret was very convenient to play so I enjoyed playing it. Then I spent about 7 years for classic. There were several love stories, the brightest among them was the one with hand made guitar for $1500. It had very strong and deep sound and was really expressive when played Bach, but not that bright for Spanish pieces. I still love it.

I came to jazz after all and bought Esteve 1GR3E with pickup to be able to play both jazz and classic. I can't say it's outstanding but after years of playing experience I believe that good guitar sound is less than 10% for a good performance. So we finally married.

My interests are somewhat old fashioned, I love main stream. I like listen to Joe Pass and rarely listen to someone else. I also like him playing other instruments:

Niels Pedersen (Joe Pass playes the bass)
Oscar Peterson (Joe Pass playes the piano)
Bill Evans (Joe Pass playes the piano again)
Dee Dee Bridgewater (Joe Pass sings)
etc

I also play piano a bit...

So...
May I join theFret, guys?

Best,
evergreen.

Robert
March 26th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Welcome evergreen! You sure may join us, are you kidding!

I am a big jazz lover myself. Haven't listened much to Joe Pass, but my heroes are Bird, Miles, Trane, Oscar Peterson, Herbie Hancock, Joe Zawinul, John Scofield, Pat Martino, Sonny Rollins, Chick Corea, etc.

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Welcome! I like jazz too. I like a variety of styles, and would like to learn about more. Join on in!

hubberjub
March 26th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Welcome. I studied jazz and classical for six years while in college so you're not alone.

magoo
March 26th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Hi evergreen, welcome.:beer:

evergreen
March 27th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I am a big jazz lover myself. Haven't listened much to Joe Pass, but my heroes are Bird, Miles, Trane, Oscar Peterson, Herbie Hancock, Joe Zawinul, John Scofield, Pat Martino, Sonny Rollins, Chick Corea, etc.

Oh, I see you are a big fan of Joe Pass too :)

Thank everybody!

Kodiak3D
March 27th, 2008, 04:39 AM
No, I'm sorry. You'll have to join TheJazz.net. :D
(Seriously, welcome and enjoy!)

Algonquin
March 27th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Welcome to the Fret evergreen. That's a great forum name!
Cheers :beer:

tot_Ou_tard
March 27th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I love Jazz. Joe Pass is fantastic. But I also love jazz that you wouldn't consider jazz.

I like all kinds of music.

Welcome!

mrmudcat
March 27th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Welcome !!

GOT JAZZ?

jpfeifer
March 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Welcome evergreen.

There's a wide variety of players here and we're always looking for more people to share their stories, experience, gear info, playing tips, questions, etc, no matter what style you play.

Rest assured that you're not the only Jazz fan here, as there are several players in the group who are into Jazz. (myself for one)

We'd love to hear some of your favorite recordings, any tips on playing like Joe Pass, or anything else that you would find interesting to share with the group here.

Welcome, -- Jim

evergreen
March 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
We'd love to hear some of your favorite recordings

There are too many of them to post a complete list. Some really native to me are

Chick Corea "Return To Forever" - I listen to it for more than 15 years
Chick Corea + Gary Burton "Native Sense"
Modern Jazz Quartet "Django"
Bill Evans + Jim Hall "Undercurrent"
Bill Evans "I Will Say Good Bye", "Conversations with Myself", "Further Conversations With Myself"
Gerry Mulligan "Night Lights"
Paul Desmond "Glad To Be Unhappy"
Bireli Lagrene "Standards" - very gifted French guitarist (Joe Pass junior)
Art Blakey "Moaning", "In My Prime" - that is what I call jazz
Joe Pass "Apassionato", "Blues Dues",
Joe Pass + NOHP "Chops"

any tips on playing like Joe Pass, or anything else that you would find interesting to share with the group here.

Hm...

_Dm7_________________G7___________________Cmaj____ ________

-8--5-----------------------------3--4--6--3-----------------------
-------6--------------------3--6--------------6--5-----------------
----------7--6-----5--3--4--------------------------5--------------
----------------7---------------------------------------5--3--2----
------------------------------------------------------------------3-
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually agree with Bill Evans who was admired by musicians developed long and hard through years of work dedication and introspection. I think there's no easy way to play like Joe Pass, neither it is reasonable to spend a life to mimic his style. There are a lot of transcriptions available nowadays but I can hardly remember a person who could play like Joe Pass. So I think what is reasonable is to transcribe and analyze. Not only Joe Pass, but other musicians as well.

jpfeifer
March 27th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I had the chance to see Bireli Lagrene live a few times. He is an incredible player, just amazing. I saw him with Al Dimeola and Larry Coryell. Great playing by all these guys but Bireli Lagrene was my favorite.

I agree that it would be impossible to play like Joe Pass without studying his style for years.

I really like Pat Metheny's playing too. I've liked him for decades now, he was my first favorite Jazz player, and still is. From there I listened to a lot of Wes Montgomery too after I found out that Pat Metheny was into him.

Now, I'm starting to listen to Django Reinhard lately.

-- Jim

just strum
March 27th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Welcome Evergreen, I think Jazz or any other music is welcome here. It tends to be a blues influnenced forum, but so is a lot of music.

BTW, I didn't mean to come off as if I was calling you a Spammer (is that a word?) in your other thread, just wanted to make sure you took the time introduce yourself. I was speaking for me and not the rest of the fretters.

Great to have you joining the gang.

tot_Ou_tard
March 27th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Bireli is fantastic & everyone should spend time with Django.

You should listen to Sanseverino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRd8o0aSOmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtQ1lTL4dh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnrjJ0_ikTU

luvmyshiner
March 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Welcome aboard Evergreen.

evergreen
March 28th, 2008, 07:48 AM
You should listen to Sanseverino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRd8o0aSOmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtQ1lTL4dh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnrjJ0_ikTU

resembles gypsy music a little, or am I smth missing?

Brian Krashpad
March 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM
There's room for EVERYONE here, if you love guitars and/or basses!

Welcome!