PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me an OD with my CS fat 50s

birv2
March 27th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I love my JV strat with the CS Fat 50s pickups, but they are super clean. When I want to really rip on a solo, I'm not getting that OD sound that I'm looking for. Right now I'm using a TS9DX, and it's not quite that warm creamy yet gritty sound I want.

Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Other factors -- I play blues through a Pro Jr. If you want to hear just how clean these pickups are, you can hear me going through the 5 pickup positions at http://www.box.net/shared/4nqwkijb4w

Thanks in advance!
Bob

Spudman
March 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM
There are so many ODs out there. Your best bet is to go and try as many as you can find. I see all the highly recommended expensive ones being sold all the time by the original owners. So who knows what will work for your ears?

birv2
March 27th, 2008, 09:36 AM
There are so many ODs out there. Your best bet is to go and try as many as you can find. I see all the highly recommended expensive ones being sold all the time by the original owners. So who knows what will work for your ears?

That is true. However, I was hoping someone would have had a similar situation to mine. I'm just looking for some suggestions to try.

Bob

duhvoodooman
March 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
The Digitech Bad Monkey is always worth a look! The separate bass and treble controls give you a degree of tonal control you won't get from a single tone control stomper.

How would you describe/quantify what the TS9DX's tone lacks? Not enough gain? Lacking bottom end thump or top-end chime? Too mid-rangey?

birv2
March 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM
The Digitech Bad Monkey is always worth a look! The separate bass and treble controls give you a degree of tonal control you won't get from a single tone control stomper.

How would you describe/quantify what the TS9DX's tone lacks? Not enough gain? Lacking bottom end thump or top-end chime? Too mid-rangey?

I've heard a lot about the Monkey, so I might check that out.

As for the TS9DX, stock it's not enough gain and way too much bass. I'm going to send it to Garmopat to have it modded. But I think part of the problem is the pickups, as I said in my first post. They're just so stinkin clean! So the TS doesn't really get you into that smooth overdrive territory.

By contrast, I've got Tex-Mex pickups on my Squier, and it's almost there all by itself. Plus it's about twice as loud (literally).

Bob

hubberjub
March 27th, 2008, 04:34 PM
This may be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Can you raise the pickup height at all? That might help some.

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I've heard a lot about the Monkey, so I might check that out.

As for the TS9DX, stock it's not enough gain and way too much bass. I'm going to send it to Garmopat to have it modded. But I think part of the problem is the pickups, as I said in my first post. They're just so stinkin clean! So the TS doesn't really get you into that smooth overdrive territory.

By contrast, I've got Tex-Mex pickups on my Squier, and it's almost there all by itself. Plus it's about twice as loud (literally).

Bob

You can find Bad Monkeys on ebay, etc. for twentyish dollars almost any time so it is almost a no brainer to try it out. I really like mine, but have nothing like a TS-9 or anything to compare it to.

Hilmer
March 28th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Have you tried a clean boost? Perhaps the signal just needs to be a little bit hotter before it hits the amp to get the sound you're after.

birv2
March 28th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Well, after thinking long and hard, I remembered a previous discussion we had here and looked it up. And I initiated that discussion!:thwap:

Anyway, last night at the jam, I tried the settings on my TS9DX that I wrote about: TS9 mode, about halfway on gain, volume and tone, pedal always on, guitar volume on about 6. Then cranked the volume on the guitar for solos.

Tone sounded very good and I got some compliments. I guess I needed to hear for myself (again!) the difference between basement tone and jam tone. Those setttings in the basement sounded weak -- at the jam they sounded great. Sheesh. Slow learner here.

I'm still going to look into the Bad Monkey though.

Thanks for all the advice, gang.

Spudman
March 28th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Most overdrives are really happening at gig volume. I have a very expensive overdrive unit and it sounds muffled and weak at house levels but when you get the amp working harder it really makes everything shine. It's cool you got that figured out...and you didn't have to spend a dime....

yet.

birv2
March 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM
and you didn't have to spend a dime....

yet.

Truer words was never spake.

:rotflmao:

Bob

SuperSwede
March 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
The original Boss super overdrive pedal aint half bad when you need to wake up tired pickups... you can also try with a Rat (low gain setting).