PDA

View Full Version : Tube addict

Radioboy950
March 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
It seems tubes are like crack. I admit it, I'm a junkie. At least a couple days a week, a new package arrives, and I can count on my wife saying, WHAT!! MORE tubes???

After much tube experimentation, I can not believe how much better the amp(h) sounds with NOS preamp valves. My latest config first involved getting the darn JJ 6L6GC's biased right. I'd been running them way too cool, resulting in a lifeless, fizzy sound. Got out the Weber Bias Rite and took it up to 70% dissipation. Perfect for my taste. They're a near perfect match, and rugged. No rattles...yet. But combos are murder on tubes.

For the premp section I have :
V1--RCA 12AX7A
V2--JAN GE 12AX7WA
V3--GE 5751 (triple mica, blackplate)
V4--SYLVANIA 12AT7
V5--EH 12AX7 (balanced PI)

I have found a few new production 12AX7s that sound pretty good to my ears, including the Tung-Sol, EH, JJ and the various Chinese branded by Ruby and Penta Labs. But they can't quite match the older stuff I've been collecting.

Tone2TheBone
March 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Cool....how's about spreading the joy and letting us try some samples you'd spare. ;) It's amazing the differences in tube choices. I imagine the differences in biasing as well.

Bloozcat
March 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I can empathize with your addiction, Radioboy. I've gone through the same thing. I have enough of a stash now though that I can kick back a little. That is until I get the burn for some amp that uses tubes I don't have...like 6V6's.......:)